The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-06-2010, 05:37 PM   #106
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I think he is digging his own grave, figurative speaking. He is pushing the envelope and the closer he gets to the edge the more evidence they will have to declare him and his organization a quasi-terrorist organization where more extreme measures can be used against him. He is aiding and abetting at the least.

And now there is this:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/12/06...ion=cnn_latest
Old 12-06-2010, 05:49 PM   #107
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

makes for good reading, guys
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #108
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Wikileaks has to take responsibility for everything they post but how can someone tell the difference between a document with the sole purpose as a national security threat to the US and one that may have slipped through the cracks of a filter, if they even have one? There are 1.2 million documents on wikileaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter
I suppose it's how you view such things,
but to me this looks just like what governments and businesses routinely do...
make catalog listings of things.

For example, just using Google I could have made a list that included
the Straits of Hormuz, , mines in Africa,
vaccine facilities in France, and undersea cables .

Here is something about a weapons factory in Haifa (via Google);
however, I don't know if this link is part of the Wikileaks or if it has been up for a while.
I think the latter because at the bottom it reads
That's true but it is still something you don't make public. For example, with the same amount of planning, maybe even less, Al-Qaeda could have drastically affected every American and killed tens of thousands if not millions. It's a bold claim but it's amazing how low security was for many high level targets before 9/11.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #109
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
We know for a fact that he put lives of individuals in harms way with the first release.
But outing a covert CIA agent to promote the massacre of 4500 American soldiers in Iraq is acceptable? It is rather amazing the double standard.

First these same people outted Valerie Plame. Then they so subvert security that any kid with only a high school education has access to all "secrets". Then they accuse Assange of treason when Assange is neither an American nor did he do anything to compromise American security. When do we discuss they who most subverted American security and innovation instead attack Assange.

Ironic. Same people who intentionally lied to blame Saddam for 11 September, had White House lawyers rewriting science papers, subvert the American space program, created a near destruction of the American economy (including welfare to the rich), did all but protect bin Laden, tried to get America into a hot war with China over a silly spy plane, all but surrendered in Afghanistan, undermined the Oslo Accords, and kidnapped people into secret prisons all over the world. But somehow Assange is as evil as Saddam for simply redacting and reporting what was made into public information.

Amazing the hate of Assange. And so little anger at the Army Private or the people who all but enable that Private to breach security.

Worst harm is that we and everyone else in the world now have to deal with so many people so scummy as to be 'insulted'. Who could not accept honest assessments. A little blunt honesty demonstrates to the world that Americans have been dealing with them honestly. Once we eliminate (or forget) the emotional tirade, eventually a new world order will either accept that honesty or entrench those who fear honesty.

Most of this is only hyped because it embarrasses the liars. And embarrasses the honest people for being honest. Embarrassment is another example of silly emotions - adults acting as children. Meanwhile, the most important fact is this. In the last decade, the Chinese have probably stolen all plans for America's nuclear arsenal because those who even had lawyers rewriting science also subverted American security.

Where security should have existed, why are we not calling for their public execution? Because that is too logical - not based in hate and hype promoted by those most responsible for this breach. And who are now attack Assange so that we will not blame the real anti-Americans.

Those same people may also be the reason why the Chinese have plans for all of our nuclear weapons. And so they use Limbaugh and Joseph McCarthy logic. Attack and accuse others. We have major security problems because those whose purpose is only a political agenda have so screwed so many American institutions and systems - including national security.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #110
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

British police are looking for Mr Assange in relation to the allegations of rape in Sweden. Which means his arrival in the USA is imminent. We'll give him to Sweden immediately and although I agreed that Sweden is a European country mostly unaffected by America, extradition treaties are pretty damned powerful.

You got Gary McKinnon off us at any rate.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #111
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

He has turned himself in to London police for the Swedish arrest warrant for the sex crime allegation:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T1
Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #112
TheMercenary

Off to jail for the scumbag....

LONDON – A British judge sent Julian Assange to jail on Tuesday, denying bail to the WikiLeaks founder who vowed to fight efforts to extradite him to Sweden in a sex-crimes investigation.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/wikileaks
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #113
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Are they going after all the other media distributing the cable info now?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:44 AM   #114
TheMercenary

Wikileads is not a media source, newspaper, or news orgainzation. Although they would like you to think they are.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #115
glatt

What are they, then?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #116
TheMercenary

If I had my way I call them a terrorist organization and I think they should be treated as such. They obtained stolen classified information and have released it to organizations and states which are known enemys of the United States, through wholescale public disclosure via news orgainzations. Traditionally news organizations are usually protected, Wikileaks is not one of those.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #117
TheMercenary

I am no fan of FEINSTEIN, but in this case I have to agree with everything she said.

Prosecute Assange Under the Espionage Act

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #118
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

There Wikileaks goes again, exposing the CIA's use of rendition and torture.

NY Times
Officials Pressed Germans on Kidnapping by C.I.A.
By MICHAEL SLACKMAN
Published: December 8, 2010

Quote:
BERLIN — American officials exerted sustained pressure on Germany not to enforce arrest warrants
against Central Intelligence Agency officers involved in the 2003 kidnapping of a German citizen
mistakenly believed to be a terrorist, diplomatic cables made public by WikiLeaks show.

Mr. Masri was seized on Dec. 31, 2003, as he entered Macedonia while on vacation;
border security guards confused him with an operative of Al Qaeda with a similar name.
He says he was turned over to the C.I.A., which flew him to Afghanistan,
where he says he was tortured, sodomized and injected with drugs.
After five months, he was dropped on a roadside in Albania. No charges were brought against him.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #119
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

This particular fuckup was already known about, what is exposed is the US pressure on Germany not to do anything about it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #120
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

UT, and your point is ?
Sorry, I realize that's being a bit sarcastic.
But quotes are from the article, and I feel they are needed for understanding of the situation.

What Wikileaks exposed is the the US diplomatic pressure on Germany being accomplices
to the actions of the CIA's actions of rendition and torture.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote