Attached Images

Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #122
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Name:  QM2 and QE.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  75.0 KB

Quote:
The Royal Navy’s HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier keeps a benevolent eye on Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 cruise ship off New York harbour yesterday
The Times

Seatrade Cruise News
Old 10-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #123
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May be a benevolent eye, but Liz has her nose turned up.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:02 PM   #124
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Leave her alone, her last Corgi just died.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #125
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Attachment 65169

I saw this picture in a UK newspaper but with little detail of the circumstances surrounding the collision.

My first thought was how did the ferry manage to ram the container vessel amidships in broad daylight, assuming that the photo was taken soon after the collision.

I did a bit of digging and found this from the WSJ:

Anchored? How on Earth....

WSJ Link
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
Further to my post #108...

Judging by the starboard anchor chain passing over the port side of the bulbous prow, the container ship has rotated somewhat in the collision.

I know little of maritime law, but I thought that there was a requirement to maintain a lookout at all times. Not that I'm suggesting negligence, you understand.

Anyway, there's likely to be a delay in collecting the next consignment of half a million Chinese plastic dog turds. (Guaranteed to break the ice at parties).
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's old news...here's some really good quality silent movie footage concerning it:

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:37 PM   #126
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

I've looked back at that thread several times and tried to follow what happened after.
The Ulysse is a roro (rollon-rolloff) ferry that also carries passengers. I have been unable to find out how many and also wonder why there are no people in the pics.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:08 PM   #127
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I looked at one of the tracking sites yesterday and saw that the Ulysse was in a North African port.
The Virginia is apparently anchored off south east Greece although some of the information was contradictory.
Please forgive lack of detail but I'm not presently on my PC and this iPad doesn't lend itself to researching the finer points of the internet.

I wondered about the operation to part the two vessels and whether they were able to proceed under their own power.
Presumably neither craft was holed beneath the waterline.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #128
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Just to tidy up the loose ends...

Animation of the collision from Automatic Identification System transmissions.

Quote:
The Tunisian roll-on/roll-off ferry Ulysse has separated from the containership CSL Virginia after the two collided Sunday in the Mediterranean Sea off Corsica.

French officials said Thursday the ships separated at about 9:30 p.m. due to the combination of wave action and previous attempts to release the vessels.

Both the Ulysse and CSL Virginia remain in the same area as responders wait until Friday day to further assess the situation.
Link

Name:  CSL Virginia.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  Ulysse.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  135.4 KB
Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #129
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

This is a bad time for RO/RO's.
https://gcaptain.com/incident-video-...-causing-fire/
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #130
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Excellent had a better outcome than Ulysse, but I think both captains may be looking for work.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #131
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That animation shows a double tap, I think that's a glitch.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #132
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That animation shows a double tap, I think that's a glitch.
Double tap...That's what ya get when ya go for a ride out to the pine barrens.

And I love that perfectly boat-shaped hole in the other boat.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #133
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

An acquaintance of mine started his working life in the Merchant Navy so, when I saw him earlier this week, I asked had he seen reports of this incident.
A lack of lookout was the first thing he mentioned and it prompted him to relate the tale of a Greek tanker in the English Channel several decades ago.
The ship was under way but there was no response to radio calls.
It's an exceptionally busy area so the decision was made to board the vessel.
The story goes that the bridge was unmanned and the only sign of life there was a dog.
When the crew were eventually found they said there was no problem as the dog always barked when he saw another ship!

True or not? You can decide that for yourself, but just bear in mind that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:16 PM   #134
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Admission: This article is shamelessly copy/pasted from Uncommon Reality.

The SS Warrimoo:

Name:  SSWarrimoo.JPG
Views: 416
Size:  34.2 KB

Quote:
The passenger steamer SS Warrimoo was quietly knifing its way through the waters of the mid-Pacific on its way from Vancouver to Australia. The navigator had just finished working out a star fix & brought the master, Captain John Phillips, the result.

The Warrimoo’s position was LAT 0º 31′ N and LON 179º 30′ W. The date was 31 December 1899. “Know what this means?” First Mate Payton broke in, “We’re only a few miles from the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line.”

Captain Phillips was prankish enough to take full advantage of the opportunity for achieving the navigational freak of a lifetime. He called his navigators to the bridge to check & double check the ships position.

He changed course slightly so as to bear directly on his mark. Then he adjusted the engine speed. The calm weather & clear night worked in his favor.

At midnight the SS Warrimoo lay on the Equator at exactly the point where it crossed the International Date Line! The consequences of this bizarre position were many: The forward part (bow) of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere & the middle of summer. The rear (stern) was in the Northern Hemisphere & in the middle of winter.

The date in the aft part of the ship was 31 December 1899. Forward it was 1 January 1900. This ship was therefore not only in two different days, two different months, two different years, two different seasons but in two different centuries – all at the same time.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #135
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's pretty cool.