Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #2
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Thank goodness Congress allocated millions to the CDC in December

...to study gun control
They also study cancer and mental illness.

But yes, that is more the bailiwick of BATF.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luce View Post
They also study cancer and mental illness.

But yes, that is more the bailiwick of BATF.
I don't think that the BATF does health effect studies, it's a law enforcement agency. If we're going strictly on name-of-agency criticisms, NIH might be a better match, just because it doesn't specifically have the word "disease" in its name.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
I don't think that the BATF does health effect studies, it's a law enforcement agency. If we're going strictly on name-of-agency criticisms, NIH might be a better match, just because it doesn't specifically have the word "disease" in its name.
NIH is getting half.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Transmission of coronavirus occurs much more commonly through respiratory droplets than through fomites. Current evidence suggests that novel coronavirus may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces
President's authorized doctor says it only last but a few hours. Which is it? Hours or days? If Trump has a Czar (who known nothing about medicine or emergency response) who is suppose to keep us informed with honest facts, then where are those facts?

UT, when will you stick to honest facts and not routinely post your irrelevant emotions? You are not the same person I knew some thirty years ago. Back then, UT would not be wasting bandwidth with words such as quibble. Meanwhile, as usual, I expect more quibble from you. It is becoming routine from a UT that went right wing extremist.

Reasons this 'flu' are different. It is much more contagious. And has a higher death rate. Apparently because infected people (as with Typhoid Mary) do not even know they are infecting their peers. Apparently do not have symptoms when first sick.

We don't really know why this virus is so more contagious. Facts (honesty) are in short supply. Combined with a president who also takes cheapshots at, for example, the Grand Princess.

Last edited by tw; 03-09-2020 at 01:44 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

The VA is recommending that veterans best response to Covid-19 is to get a flu shot.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
The VA is recommending that veterans best response to Covid-19 is to get a flu shot.
Getting a flu shot is never a bad idea, but it is pretty much useless against the coronavirus.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #8
tw

Quote:
Getting a flu shot is never a bad idea, but it is pretty much useless against the coronavirus.
Medicine must predict what flues will be active almost one year in advance. And then design a flu shot only for those particular viruses.

Current flu shot was not designed for this virus. Nobody knew it was coming until a (now dead) doctor in China discovered it. Flues typically do not spread this fast - are not this contagious. So a vaccine is not possible for about a year or maybe longer - despite lies from a president who is loved for constantly lying.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #9
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Quarantine does not solve the problem.
It's never been a choice between solving the problem in its entirety or doing nothing. Partial solutions like quarantine can have a huge impact on morbidity and mortality. There's no vaccine for coronavirus which is why we have to do everything we can to contain it.

Quote:
Apparently people are contagious even before they have symptoms. ...
That's the way it is with the cold, flu and other viruses. That doesn't mean you do nothing to stop further transmission after the disease presents symptomatically; or, is identified through testing beforehand. People are also contagious for awhile after the disappearance of symptoms.

Quote:
How'd that work out in Japan?
Doesn't matter. When done properly, it works. Doing it improperly doesn't invalidate the procedure.

Quote:
It may improve the healthcare you receive for coronavirus. Flu prevention helps keep the Flu's burden on the healthcare system down in case the number of coronavirus patients goes up. That's why the Flu shot is being recommended.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
tw

Intentionally misquoted to misrepresent the point:
Quote:
Quarantine does not solve the problem.
What was posted:
Quote:
Quarantine does not solve the problem. Apparently people are contagious even before they have symptoms.
The point ignored by a reply.
Quote:
Experience aboard the Diamond Princess suggests that this virus can spread airborne. Not just from contact spewed from an infected person. But this is an even greater problem.
We don't know how it spreads. Or those facts are being withheld by a VP whose job is to spin things for political advantage.

Does not matter if people are contagious after symptoms are gone. Currently irrelevant. Required is to detect people BEFORE symptoms exist. That is a problem. Because only 200 test kits were available (and not being produced) when clear was a threat that required maybe a million or more.

First, one was tested for other flu viruses. And then retested; to wait another three days for results from Atlanta. Only 200 test kits were available. Meaning infected people remained undetected for up to a week. A week after they had be contagious maybe a previous week.

All this takes so long because a scumbag president even claimed this threat was "over blown". His exact words. He stifled actions to get ahead of the threat. His own words say so.

Facts that say why a quarantine cannot solve the problem. Especially if this virus survives well past summer - as some scientists have been asking (before Pence took over). Another point relevant to a sentence taken out of context.

Another question. Once one has recovered, is he immune from another infection? We need answers - not political lies. Apparently we "cannot handle the truth".
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Flu prevention helps keep the Flu's burden on the healthcare system down in case the number of coronavirus patients goes up.
A valid point.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #11
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Intentionally misquoted to misrepresent the point:
Quotes are accurate.

Quote:
What was posted:
A difference without a distinction.

Quote:
Does not matter if people are contagious after symptoms are gone.
Illogical.

Quote:
Facts that say why a quarantine cannot solve the problem.
Facts say quarantine can mitigate the problem (short term solution).

For problems such as this, there are often two solutions: a short term solution and a long term solution. The short term solution uses what is immediately available to make the best of a situation and reduce obstructive emotions (e.g. apprehension, fear, panic...etc.). The long tern solution is finding the definitive way to solve the problem.

But then I have the medical training, field and hospital experience, leadership training an experience to see the big picture. I can also separate medicine from politics.

I'm delighted to see that your opinions aren't prejudiced by any knowledge on the subject.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I was going to rewrite to benefit your quibble, but I'm betting my point has been made.

History will tell us whether the flu, or panic over it, is a bigger problem. If history says flu, the Pres has been terrible. If history says panic, the Pres has been on point.

Place your bets
Old 03-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
Luce
Weaponized Funk

Quote:
I was going to rewrite to benefit your quibble, but I'm betting my point has been made.

History will tell us whether the flu, or panic over it, is a bigger problem. If history says flu, the Pres has been terrible. If history says panic, the Pres has been on point.

Place your bets
Problem is, the economic concerns are not panic. They are missed shipments, dry supply chains, and a consumer base that is being quarantined in many nations. The losses are in fact real, and are the virus, not the panic.

Toilet paper is a whole other story.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

So, we'll have to agree on levels of deaths vs levels of panic, does anyone want to weigh in on the number of deaths that would be worse than panic so far?

Starting point: flu kills 27-70,000 in US per year
Old 03-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #15
tw

Quote:
So, we'll have to agree on levels of deaths vs levels of panic, ...
Panic is created by a lack of honest information. And by social media where people cannot bother to learn facts before posting their emotions.

Death rate from a conventional flu is typically 1.3%. Death rate from Covid-19 is somewhere between 2 and 3%. In China, they are claiming 3.4%. Well they have more experience. But also have a problem with first obtaining honest data. But that much higher death rate is another reason for honest concern. And why it was obvious in the beginning of January that this virus was a serious threat.

It even killed the doctor who discovered it.