The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 05-28-2007, 06:04 AM   #46
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

i had my mums hubbies 50h Bday. he key on my keypad ha is broken is he one beween R and Y. i am very sorry for he illegible yping.

Was a wild wknd, had bagpipe band, i sung los of karaoke and danced myself silly. EXHIBI A:

IS VERY ANNOYING O HAVE O WRIE WIHOU HE LEER BEWEEN r AND y.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #47
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

With Sunday predicted to be (and actually was) a total washout (rain-wise), the cycle-ride I had planned to do with my pal from north-east of London was moved to saturday afternoon. Nothing to heavy, just a modest 46 miles in a shade over 3 hours, and enough to render me 'unsuitable for purpose' thereafter.

The work which should have been done on Saturday (course re-write which needed to be with the client by Monday - an intensive PowerPoint affair) was thus postponed until Sunday. I had the place to myself anyway as Mrs CF had popped over to Spain with two friends for a week's relaxation (post-hsyterectomy recouperation has been proving frustrating), so no sweat.

Except for that phone call that woke me from my blissful slumber at 02:15 Sunday morning. The mobile was going, and it was wife's ringtone. Now the last time she had called from Espana at such an hour (it was 03:15 there) whilst away with a friend, she had just written off their hire car! So, instantly awake, I jumped out of bed and grabbed the phone. I answered the call, but the line was dead. Not exactly what I wanted. But then the house phone rang. That was in another room. So I rushed to get it, picked it up, and.... dead again. Now I was getting just a little panicky... and the adrenalin was having its usual effect on my internal organs...

I called her mobile - had someone stolen her phone, I thought. Or perhaps it was another car incident. A few rings and Mrs CF answered. 'What is it? are you all right?'

'No.' came the reply. 'We're stuck outside our B&B and can't get the gate to open with the key. Do you think you could look up their number and call them as we don't seem to be able to wake them up, and we're not sure how we are going to get in otherwise.'

Now, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't exactly sympathetic about the reason for being called. Phone me at 3.00am local time, some 2000 miles away, to find a way through a difficult gate?

I chose the easiest option under the circumstances - I found the number and after about 20 times dialling it (it tripped to voicemail after 4 rings so that meant disconnecting and redialling to keep the ring going), I had success. Not that the B&B owner was too excited about the situation either...

Job over, bowels required opening (I know, not a nice image, but I'm trying to be truthful - that's what adrenalin does for you), and I found it almost impossible to get back to sleep afterwards.

Sunday, matchsticks at the ready, I groped my way through the re-write - took ages, hard to stop nodding off. A couple of catnaps gave temporary respite. Mrs CF rang. I don't think I came across very well. The phone went down a bit quick. She couldn't see my side of it really.

Suppose I'll sort it out on Wednesday when she returns (barring any further early hours phone calls from her in the interim... there's still a car that can be written off, handbag that can be stolen containing passports, money, air tickets, driving licence, keys and so on, and a catastrophe with the plumbing that floods the guest-house to possibly endure - I only say this because these things have all actually happened to her before... oh, and , of course, there was that missed flight - damn nuisance these ones that are timed just after midnight - she thought she still had 24 hours left in the place and so didn't go to the airport the night she should have - unfortunately I did, to meet her at the 2.00 am time the flight arrived - make that 3.00 am by the time everyone had come through the exit and I found out for certain that she wasn't on the plane...)

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 05-28-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #48
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Last weekend was very busy.

Friday night I went to my cousins 21st and ended up getting smashed.

Saturday I worked all day and then when bed time came around I was so tired (hangover etc) that I didn't have a good sleep.

Sunday I got up early and did some shopping. 9am a friend arrives to put up framework for a few rooms under our house which I helped with all day.

Sunday night our friend and his wife stayed for dinner and we had a few drinks again so I went to bed half pissed...late.

Monday morning I woke up and wondered where my weekend went.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #49
Griff
still says videotape

We took Lil' Griff to Odyssey of the Mind / Worlds in Michigan. Good stuff. It makes you feel better about humanity to see really bright creative kids in a clump like that. Williamsport, PA really kicked butt, taking home a bunch of prizes. Sherburne, NY did well too although a sceptic would have some doubts about the level of parental involvement in one of their skits. Lil' Griff had big fun trading pins with kids from Japan, Singapore, Wisconsin... all the foreign spots.

Gardening, BBQ, and fencing yesterday.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:50 AM   #50
glatt

nice weekend.

Got out pretty early and went hiking on Saturday. Went to a very popular local trail, but we were early enough to avoid most of the crowds. Then the neighborhood pool had its season opening, so we went to the pool for the afternoon. Sunday I did a bunch of very dusty home improvement work, demolishing much of the plaster in our bathroom and then just hung out while the rest of the family went back to the pool. Then went over to some friends for awesome ribs for dinner. Monday, the holiday, we kicked the soccer ball around the back yard and I pushed the kids on the rope swing a lot, then went to the pool for a few hours. Dinner was a rare restaurant excursion for Mexican and a couple awesome margaritas.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:45 AM   #51
theotherguy
no not that other guy, the other one

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
had a pork torta...not bad, but I've had better. It made me sick.
Your culinary experiences must be awful to classify something that made you sick as "not bad."

We spent nearly the entire long weekend at the pool. Nice. Cookout at some friends last night. I avoided all manner of alcohol. Well, maybe one beer. I did get some yard work in. Die you pesky clover!
theotherguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 AM   #52
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Die you pesky clover!
?
I like clover.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #53
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
We took Lil' Griff to Odyssey of the Mind / Worlds in Michigan.
I didn't see this earlier for some reason. That's awesome that Lil' Griff's team made it to the Worlds! You must have flown to be back that fast for the fencing.

I did OM back in high school, and it was a lot of fun. It was called Olympics of the Mind back then. That was back before the lawyers got involved.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #54
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You must have flown to be back that fast for the fencing.
It started last Wed and went through Sat, we drove all day Sun and gardened/bbqed/fenced on Monday... 9 and a half road hours... ouch
Old 05-29-2007, 06:09 PM   #55
rkzenrage

Still recovering from surgery and I fell... in bed all weekend.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #56
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Dandelion massacre. The first sunny weekend without prior commitments (not including "fix me! fix me! power steering pump) gave me the opportunity to fill two 39 gallon trash bags with dandelion corpses. I reckon I'm about 1/3 done.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #57
jinx
Come on, cat.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #58
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i was thinking of you guys......
Attached Images

lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #59
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Hmmm......

For some reason I am amused at the different sizes in kayaks.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #60
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Friday, 6pm: set odometer, leave

Friday, 11pm: arrive, 230 miles later at a friend's infamous house, Key West. It's boozin' time.

Sat, 10am-12pm: margaritas, beach, margaritas, and entertainment courtesy "Brian", who just left his wife - and rehab - and has been getting drunk at the bar in Key West for 3 or 5 days. He shakes uncontrollably. He has lost his car keys, his clothes, his sobriety, his wife, and now his car. He cries in his vodka.

Sat, 12pm - 7pm: Brian was a real downer. We leave to walk the streets of Key West for Lobster fest. We eat lobster, shop, have fish sandwiches at BO's for lunch, return to the clubhouse for a swim and margaritas, Half Shells for lobster/clam/oyster dinner, and for dessert - frozen, chocolate-covered key lime pie on a stick. Ba-donk-a-donk, indeed.

Sat, 10pm: boys decide it's going to be a titty bar night, which is, conveniently, two blocks away. Em stays home with the girls, I put on my best slutty shirt and accompany the men to make sure they have a good time - but not too good - and find their way home. B calls the strippers over by shouting "whore", while N calls one Zsa-Zsa and screams no way in hell - he won't tip strippers older than him. She left the stage immediately. This is only the beginning of the antics I can't repeat at this time for fear of implicating myself and/or others. I still can't believe we didn't get thrown out.

Sun, 4 am: arrive back at the Sugar Shack, piss drunk, smelling of stripper stink, ATM cards still cooling off. B has finally stopped shouting "whore". Em is awoken by a deafening and deliberate belch into her room, and drunkards scrounging for food.

Sun 8 am: who isn't pissing, and swallowing aspirin?

Sun 10am: breakfast, more of Duval Street, lunch in Islamorada, and then the looooooong drive home.

And now I can't sleep...

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote