The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-17-2003, 10:57 PM   #46
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

As I understand it, because of the swamp ground below the surface, Metro had to be built rather deep. The Forest Glen station (on the red line, near Silver Spring) is the deepest--196 feet (60 m). And I believe the escalator at Wheaton (also near Silver Spring) is the longest in the world, though they don't have that tidbit on the Metro site anymore.

One day, the escalators were out of service at Bethesda. So, it was either wait forever to take the elevator or walk up the non-moving escalator. And Bethesda is another deep station--Goddamn...that hike up the escalator was a sonofabitch. Some people were stopping at various points to take a break. I somehow made it without stopping...and nearly collapsed upon reaching the surface.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:06 AM   #47
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Wheaton .

The whole site is quite interesting and sort of relevant to the thread.

I can't remember which scary escalator I was on last time I was DC (2000?), but it may have been Wheaton. I do seem to remember it was working on the way up, then when we came back to it, it was out of service. So we climbed down the thing. My mother with her bum knee, me with my fear of tumbling for long distances.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:36 AM   #48
dave

The one at Foggy Bottom/GWU on the Orange Line is a real kicker. (Might be the one you're talking about. It's nuts.)
Old 11-18-2003, 08:49 AM   #49
tonksy
100:10100

i appreciate all the input, but i grew up in the DC area and i do not want to return...just don't...can't explain why. boston is growing on me because the crime in philly leaves something to be desired. it's rather expensive but thats what i'm looking at right now. of course, it is subject to change.