The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-18-2003, 03:48 PM   #16
chrisinhouston
Professor

You can email Ms Jung at
jung_wendy@hcde.org
to voice your feeling
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:25 PM   #17
warch
lurkin old school

this is from a Washington Post article. 6/14

Quote:
Jung has apologized and may be asked to attend sensitivity courses, Marsh said. Hamilton County Commissioner Curtis Adams, a vocal critic of Jung, thinks the school should demote her until she learns what should and shouldn't be said to 12-year-olds.
Then again, Adams said, it could have been worse: "I'm just glad she didn't tell the girls they looked like whores."
Its not the ban, its the riddicule that is offensive. As we've explored in other threads, relating to kids is tough. Middle school principal is one of your tougher gigs. But this is not a tactic a strong head educator should be grappling for. So, she bugs me, but I know her bacon is frying.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 05:55 PM   #18
juju
no one of consequence

Sensitivity courses? I can't believe they actually have such things. What a bunch of crap!

They're basically attempting to force her to change who she is. That's her decision, and no amount of classes is going to change that. And if she does make the decision to change, then she can damn well do it without some class.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 07:34 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Sensitivity courses? I can't believe they actually have such things. What a bunch of crap!
They go right along with anger management class.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:04 PM   #20
paranoid
May Ter Dee

Quote:
Originally posted by juju

They're basically attempting to force her to change who she is. That's her decision, and no amount of classes is going to change that. And if she does make the decision to change, then she can damn well do it without some class.
I disagree. She doesn't have to change who she is. She has to realise that there are actually live people around and these people have the right to be themselves, and probably different from Ms. Jung. Sensitivity is not rejecting yourself, it's being considerate to others. And hopefully she can be taught that.
paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 08:56 PM   #21
Stonan
Do-er of Deeds

Location: Cloverdale, British Columbia, Canada, Earth, Universe #42
For my grad ceremonies (way, way back) a couple of guys showed up in their Cadet dress uniforms. I wonder what that anal bitch would have done if THAT had happened...

The Geek shall inherit the earth...
Stonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:55 AM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Well, if her intention was to limit what students wore, she should have been very specific about what was and was not allowed. For instance, did she specify no jackets for the boys? I'm sure we'll hear more.

But, wait wait wait, this school is called "academy of fine arts"? In my experience, the kind of kids who go to an "academy of fine arts" are going to have a tendency to be on the unconventional side when they have a chance to dress up.

Oh, and any school administrator who told my son he looked like a pimp would never wake up in the morning again without regretting she or he said it.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #23
chrisinhouston
Professor

I don't think anyone would argue these days that there has to be some sort of rules for ceremonies like this. I recall a few years back a High School student here in Houston who upon receiving his diploma and giving the Principal a handshake deposted a used condom in her hand. As I recall she somehow rescinded him graduating and expelled him. I recall his parents complaining that he was only doing a childish prank and should not have been punished. With parents like that no wonder he did what he did.

But the authorities can go to far. We also had an episode at a HS for performing arts here in Houston where the principal had laid down the rules prior to graduation. No funny stuff on stage, period. Somewhere in the middle of the graduation ceremony a girl whose major was ballet did a pirrouette and the principal shut down the graduation leaving a hundred kids with no ceremony.

At my own kids high school graduation a few years back someone in the graduate seating area let loose of 2 ducks who wandered out into the open while the principal was speaking. Always wondered how they kept them quiet under their robes as they marched in.

When I graduated HS in 1974, I told the teacher in charge of the name list to please put "Esquire" after my name. She laughed and said, "yea, right!"

Still, from what I see in the pictures, the kids didn't look to wild in those outfits, they could have been a whole lot worse.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 05:40 PM   #24
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Yeah, they could have been dressed for the prom!

In my high school, if you had that much flesh exposed, you either had to wear your coat, or go home.

(Nifty belly dancer's outfit though, wonder if she knows what it's for)

Dags

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 07:05 PM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

From today's Fark comes this one. Tim Mains is the principal that shows how it's done: he told the math students that if they improved, they could duck tape him to the wall. And so they did.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...545_news.shtml
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 09:54 AM   #26
russotto
Professor

The boy doesn't have nearly enough flashy gold jewelry to be a pimp.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:02 PM   #27
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

I wonder what type of tape DUCK tape is, does it quack? or have feathers? i've never heard of DUCK tape.
I've heard of DUCT tape though.

They should have used Gaffers tape much stronger, and stickeyer.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:10 PM   #28
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Duck Tape

Duck Tape is a brand of duct tape. Seems to leave less residue than other brands.

Doesn't mean that it wasn't a typo, though.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #29
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Duck tape is actually the right term, and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #30
warch
lurkin old school

Mr. Mains didn't want no residue.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote