The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Nice lesson. Dang me! Doesn't sound like folks I'd be to keen to be around. Big problem are they?
Well, in some ways yes, in some ways no. They are not as strong as they'd hoped to be at this stage (like most fringe parties with an underlying revolutionary tendency). They never get anywhere in national politics, but they do get a few (very small number) of council seats in the local elections. We had three on our council up to last year we're down to one now :P They tend to cause trouble f they have an area they're strong in. Generally, these tend to be either in areas that are almost entirely white working class usually with a nearby 'asian area'. Or...little englanders in leafy middle class villages.

The ones who actually stand for office aren't so much of a problem, it's their supporters and activists. And their leaders of course. One of whom told his party activists that the battle for the hearts and minds of the North (where they were starting to make a bid for council seats) would be 'won with boots and fists on the streets of Burnley".

These days they're more careful. They walk a fine line between what is legal and illegal. Occassionally one of em steps on the wrong side of that line. What's more worrying than they themselves, is how many more people are openly supportive of them, even if tghey won't vote for them. They may detest the nazi elements, but they do agree on the racist policies.

They only an electoral threat in a few places and then, really at a local level. They're a threat to me, as they have a sizable presence in the ward I represent. In fact my getting back involved in party politics was as a way of fighting their rise in my borough. When i won my election, they were less than 100 votes behind me. They didn't do quiote as well last year.

Reason they tend to bring a pub down? Because the grass roots activists aren't always so easy to persuade away from the less savoury aspects of their politics:P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:48 PM   #17
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I say damn the PC! Keep the picture and change the name of the place to "The Bunker"!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 PM   #18
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Das Führerbunker

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #19
Oafed
So many stupid people... So few comets

Hmmm

They should get one of these in the new bar -

Name:  1e44302.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  73.4 KB

Just don't drink straight from the source.
Oafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:07 AM   #20
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I shan't ask where the Toblerones are....

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:11 AM   #21
rkzenrage

It says John Masefield. If they could not figure that out I would not want those idiots in my bar.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #22
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Sheldonrs: I say damn the PC! Keep the picture and change the name of the place to "The Bunker"!
Quote:
Crimson: Ghost Das Führerbunker
Old 11-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #23
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

On the Far Right theme the BBC reports that (heavily edited version follows):

Quote:

The European parliament's far-right bloc faces collapse after Romanian MEPs said they would quit over an Italian colleague's "xenophobic" remarks.

Italian MEP Alessandra Mussolini, the grand-daughter of fascist dictator Benito Mussolini, reportedly described Romanians as "habitual law-breakers" and saying "breaking the law has become a way of life for Romanians".

The newspaper also quoted Ms Mussolini as saying Italians saw little difference between Romanian immigrants and Roma (Gypsies).

(The Greater Romania party has itself campaigned on a fiercely nationalistic, anti-Roma [ i.e. gypsy ] platform).

Five Romanian MEPs have threatened to quit over the "sacrilegious" remarks.

The Romanian MEPs' move would take the far-right bloc's membership below the minimum required for a grouping in the parliament.
Wow, an international coalition of far right nationalists fell apart Who'd a-thunk it?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #24
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
The ones who actually stand for office aren't so much of a problem, it's their supporters and activists. And their leaders of course. One of whom told his party activists that the battle for the hearts and minds of the North (where they were starting to make a bid for council seats) would be 'won with boots and fists on the streets of Burnley".
I remember when David Duke ran here in the US and almost became governor of Louisiana.

Quote:
Knights of the Ku Klux Klan

In 1974, David Duke founded the Louisiana-based Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, a Ku Klux Klan group, shortly after graduating from LSU. He first received broad public attention during this time, as he successfully marketed himself in the mid-1970s as a new brand of Klansman — well-groomed, engaged, and professional. Duke also reformed the organization, promoting nonviolence and legality, and, for the first time in the Klan's history, women were accepted as equal members and Catholics were encouraged to apply for membership.
David Duke might be the one responsible for the "kindler gentler bigotry" approach of the BNP.

Quote:
New Orleans Protocol

Shortly after his release from prison, Duke organized a weekend gathering of "European Nationalists", in the vein of White nationalism, in New Orleans, Louisiana. In an attempt to overcome the splintering and division that had followed the death of William Pierce in 2002, he presented a unity proposal for peace within the movement and a better image amongst outsiders. His proposal was accepted and is now known as the "New Orleans Protocol". It pledges adherents to a pan-European outlook, recognizing national and ethnic allegiance, but stressing the value of all European peoples. It has three provisions:[93][94]
  1. "Zero tolerance for violence."
  2. "Honorable and ethical behavior in relations with other signatory groups. This includes not denouncing others who have signed this protocol. In other words, no enemies on the right."
  3. "Maintaining a high tone in our arguments and public presentations."
Those who signed the pact on May 29, 2004 include Duke, Paul Fromm, Don Black, Willis Carto, Kevin Alfred Strom and John Tyndall (signing as an individual, not on behalf of his British National Party.)[93]
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I adore John Masefield, damn them if they change the sign.
Just because he had the misfortune to follow a silly fashion in facial hair doesn't stop me enjoying Cargoes or Raymond's Last Run.

I don't have a problem with Wetherspoons either - they're cheap!
Okay, so I do have a problem if the fact they are cheap means more individual pubs have to close, I'd rather have the choice of a big faceless barn with cut price food and drink when I'm poor, and a cosy Freehouse where the landlord remembers what I drink when I have more funds.

Tink - the problem with the big chains is that if they take over too many pubs the whole point of a pub crawl disappears. You might as well stay in one anonymous place all night, rather than haul your bones to the next one which looks just the same.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Well there was a time that the Army use to make us crop them short. They, by reg, could not extend in any way past the edge of your mouth and had to be vertical on that edge. On a number of people they looked very Hitlereske. On the other hand I always bucked the system a little bit.
I once dated an Army captain with a mustache like that. I didn't notice that he looked hitleresque, until a friend of mine pointed it out...and then there was no going back, of course.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45 PM   #27
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oh damn those friends when they 'point things out'.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #28
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oafed View Post
They should get one of these in the new bar -

Attachment 15709

Yes, there's a good head on that beer...
Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #29
ViennaWaits
That's some bad hat, Harry.

Quote:
Oh yea.. just take ALL the fun out of it for me.
The tit cup is a nice touch, too. The guy who designed this thing must be rollin' in it.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #30
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yes, there's a good head on that beer...
Yep...Nothing like beer and good head.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote