The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 AM   #16
Ibby
erika

Honestly, this election marks a new mandate for liberalism, even if the House is still Republican.

-Illinois ousted Joe Walsh and put one of the most badass women in his place.
-Hawaii elected the first asian american female senator.
-Texas elected a pansexual WOC into the house
-Puerto Rico is on its way to statehood
-Todd Akin's out
-Scott Brown's out.
-Obama's been re-elected.
-Colorado and Washington legalized marijuana
-Michelle Bachmann could very well be ousted tonight
-Multiple states have approved same sex marriage

We are increasingly no longer a center-right nation. We're a center-left nation with only the rural midwest and the south skewing radically rightward.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 4.11.55 AM.png
Views: 146
Size:  86.1 KB

...And things look pretty decent for Obama in Florida. This is basically a SWEEP. North Carolina was the only swing state he lost.

Crushing, absolutely crushing, defeat for increasingly radical wingnut conservatism.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I am so happy Obama won! But all the hate and fear spread by the far right is going to drive some of their lunatic fringers to act on their hate and fear.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #18
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
Honestly, this election marks a new mandate for liberalism, even if the House is still Republican.
Nah, Obama was the more centrist, he won. Mitt lost because he was disconnected from reality, said crazy shit, and didn't seem trust-worthy. If the GOP figures out how to put up middle right candidates (Huntsman) they'll get their mojo back. I'm guessing they'll double down on crazy in four years, so if Hillary continues to do a nice job...

Anyway, I'm not so much happy that Obama won as Mitt lost. Unfortunately its ideology first for the House Republicans so expect a bumpy ride.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #19
Adak
Lecturer

The President may need Romney's prayers. I expect the investigation into the abandonment of our Ambassador to be killed by the terrorists, (that Obama refers to as "folks"), can now begin.

First things first, however. Obama needs to take another world-wide tour, so he can apologize for our freedoms and success, all over again.
Name:  ObamaBowing.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  16.4 KB

It will be interesting to see how Obamacare shakes out in the next four years.

The second term for a President is always tougher than their first term. Other party members give less support, since the current President can't run again - that leaves other Democrats to be more independent of the President's wishes.

No one is going to support anymore 1 Trillion+ deficit years from Obama, so I don't know what he's going to do:

1) Blame Bush (worked before!)
2) Blame the Republicans (they won't let him do his crazy shit, anymore)
3) Blame the Rich
4) Blame the Whites
5) Blame the Dog (I can't pass a budget in the last few year, because the dog keeps eating it!).

Obama has no plans for the economy. I wonder if the American economy can overcome that handicap or not, and return us to prosperity, anyway?

Last edited by Adak; 11-07-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #20
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*blinks*

1. Blame Bush: yep, given his administration's role in driving America into the worst financial trouble since the Great Depression.

It takes more than 4 years to fix something so broken.

2. Blame the Republicans (they won't let him do his crazy shit, anymore): again, seems fair so far. The Republicans made pledges on day 1 of Obama's presidency that they would ensure he only got one term. Their method for ensuring this was to cripple his efforts at every stage, blocking actions that would potentially help the economy, wilfully driving the nation's finances off a fucking cliff, because anything, up to and including total financial meltdown and a bankrupt state is better than another four years of Obama.

3.Blame the Rich: he didn;t blame 'the rich', he placed some thoroughly warranted blame on the financial industry and irresponsible corporations.

4. Blame the whites: now see that's bollocks. It's also racist claptrap.

5. Blame the dog: yeah, maybe.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #21
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

There's no party like a Democratic Party.

I'd say "Sorry, Sarge", but I'd be lying if I did!

BTW, now that Romney lost, will Billy Graham put Mormonism back on the 'cult' list?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #22
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
The President may need Romney's prayers. I expect the investigation into the abandonment of our Ambassador to be killed by the terrorists, (that Obama refers to as "folks"), can now begin.

First things first, however. Obama needs to take another world-wide tour, so he can apologize for our freedoms and success, all over again.
Attachment 41584

It will be interesting to see how Obamacare shakes out in the next four years.

The second term for a President is always tougher than their first term. Other party members give less support, since the current President can't run again - that leaves other Democrats to be more independent of the President's wishes.

No one is going to support anymore 1 Trillion+ deficit years from Obama, so I don't know what he's going to do:

1) Blame Bush (worked before!)
2) Blame the Republicans (they won't let him do his crazy shit, anymore)
3) Blame the Rich
4) Blame the Whites
5) Blame the Dog (I can't pass a budget in the last few year, because the dog keeps eating it!).

Obama has no plans for the economy. I wonder if the American economy can overcome that handicap or not, and return us to prosperity, anyway?

Boy's got a personality like his grapes: sour, that is. /foghornleghorn

Why DO conservatives whine so much?
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #23
infinite monkey

Oh oh way to go Ohio!

I can't believe we pulled it off! A cow orker worked for a couple months on the campaign. We were planning to move to his friend's place in Canada if need be.

Oh wait. I'm a democrat and we won. I must go tell him we don't have to work anymore...we can just live off our gubmint now.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #24
infinite monkey

After I invoked Foghorn Leghorn this came up on the cookies:

"Say yur prayers, yuh flea-pickin' varmint!"
- Yosemite Sam
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #25
glatt

I'm pleased that Obama won, and doubly pleased that he won the popular vote too. But I think it's a mistake to assume there is a liberal mandate. The vote nationwide is apparently 50.1% to 48.4%. That's close, and is not a mandate.

But it's clear that there is some serious work ahead with the fiscal cliff fast approaching, and both parties need to work together. That's something all Americans want government to do. There's going to have to be some compromises from both sides to get this done. And I'm mostly looking at the Republicans, because they have been unwilling to compromise at all on anything.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
infinite monkey

Oh, I know the realities. Boehner ran uncontested, but I still didn't vote for him.

I just want to be happy for this one day.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #27
glatt

You should be happy. It's a great day!
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Nah, Obama was the more centrist, he won. Mitt lost because he was disconnected from reality, said crazy shit, and didn't seem trust-worthy. If the GOP figures out how to put up middle right candidates (Huntsman) they'll get their mojo back. I'm guessing they'll double down on crazy in four years, so if Hillary continues to do a nice job...

Anyway, I'm not so much happy that Obama won as Mitt lost. Unfortunately its ideology first for the House Republicans so expect a bumpy ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I'm pleased that Obama won, and doubly pleased that he won the popular vote too. But I think it's a mistake to assume there is a liberal mandate. The vote nationwide is apparently 50.1% to 48.4%. That's close, and is not a mandate.

But it's clear that there is some serious work ahead with the fiscal cliff fast approaching, and both parties need to work together. That's something all Americans want government to do. There's going to have to be some compromises from both sides to get this done. And I'm mostly looking at the Republicans, because they have been unwilling to compromise at all on anything.
Agreed.

It will be very interesting to see what Republicans do from here. It seems that half the party will want to become more moderate (Huntsman, Christie, etc.) while the other half will want to double down and head further to the right. Biden mentioned earlier that he knows of at least 10 Republicans that will be willing to work with a second term Obama.

An Obama's second term now forces these two factions fight it out since they cannot unite against him. Hopefully the moderates will win but I could see the crazies controlling for another 2-8 years depending on how external factors play out. This election was Republicans to lose and their bets were completely wrong. Hopefully they will wake up realize that their path will only cause Democrats to get stronger and stronger solely due to demographics

Socially liberal and economically centrist is the politics of the future. The quicker Republicans can jump on board that train the better for them and the country.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Congratulations America!
ok, change your fucking signature now
Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #30
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Why DO conservatives whine so much?
It goes so well with the Republican cheese.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote