The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 09-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

Ibby foodblogs

I'm starting a 1-week attempt at foodblogging everything I eat and at least one of each kind of beer I drink a day on my tumblr. I'm really doing it to have documented proof to myself how bad my diet is - and in interest of that i'm going to shame myself here, too.

I'd really appreciate not catching trolling and bashing over this thread. I'm doing this to motivate myself to eat better before my blood pressure or cholesterol or something kills me at 25. In fact, the doc at the local clinic is wary about me starting hormones this month/next month, because the risk of blood clots coupled with my blood pressure and my cholesterol means i need to eat better and probably quit smoking.

So, please tell me how yummy my pizzas look, and while none of my recipes are exact I'll try to give ingredient lists at least, feel free to try them out - but please don't be mean in this thread. This girl don't need that. I've gained eight pounds at least since the beginning of August when I moved into my own apartment and have a working kitchen, instead of living on takeout and corner-store junk. I didnt think it could get worse - it did.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
Ibby
erika

Friday, Sept. 28

The bylines in the quotes are, obviously, the times I posted the pictures originally. All while I was in the process of eating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15:21
While I was hitting on a girl I've been naughty with online (and, actually, a middle school ex-girlfriend and the first girl I ever got off... long story), she told me she was a vegan.
I was cooking a "bubba burger" frozen burger in bacon grease while talking to her.
Sorry I'm not sorry.

Not a pretty burger, but a damn tasty one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 15:24

with Breckenridge Brewery’s Agave Wheat beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20:42

Beer: Long Trail Double Bag ale

Pizza: Boboli crust, Hormel pepperoni, Hunts’ Garlic and Herb Pasta sauce, Cabot “Seriously Sharp” Cheddar, Cabot Monterey Jack, Price Chopper mozzarella, Bel Gioioso Parmesan, Locatelli Pecorino Romano, Price Chopper “mexican blend”, basil, oregano, garlic powder, crushed red pepper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21:41

Chèvre and water crackers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22:42

Beer: Allagash Tripel Ale

Shells, cooked in water steeped with basil, garlic powder, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice, and crushed red pepper. Served with Pecorino Romano and Parmesan cheese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01:51

Long Trail Triple Bag ale

Bagel with chèvre and cream cheese.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No bashing from me.
1) my diet is currently appalling
2) I love seeing other people's food

I like goats cheese in small amounts - have to buy it from the deli counter rather than have half of it go in the bin. I'd find it too much in a bagel (a bit claggy) but am thinking of getting a tiny bit for Mum's blinis on Tuesday. She only wants smoked salmon & cream cheese, but it won't hurt to have some non-fishy ones. They're out of luck if they don't like cheese though
Old 09-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03:36

Full disclosure, this is like, not even quite two weeks of solo beer. Between a week and say, eleven days. That’s just bad. and doesn't even count liquor - i've got some 100-proof Smirnoff triple-distilled in the freezer.
ETA: that's Narrangansett Fest in the orange cans, and Woodchuck Fall limited release Cider.
So, including previously-posted, that's, in the past week and a half - Long Trail Triple bag, Breckenridge Agave Wheat, Woodchuck Fall, Long Trail doublebag, triplebag, woodchuck, agave, agave, Allagash Tripel, triplebag, woodchuck, Narrangansett Fest, doublebag, woodchuck, agave, doublebag, doublebag, tripel, doublebag, triplebag. whew.

Last edited by Ibby; 09-29-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Ibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I mean this in a way... I'm hoping to see a vegetable in one of your pictures soon.

Ok, half-point for the tomato base on the pizza.

I have found improving my diet to be a series of little increments. The first step is shopping well. What fresh healthy stuff do you have in the house rfn?
Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
2) I love seeing other people's food

I like goats cheese in small amounts ... Mum's blinis on Tuesday.... She only wants smoked salmon & cream cheese... They're out of luck if they don't like cheese though
my tumblr followers have been previously warned, through my use of the "#erika is obsessed with cheese" hashtag, that I take my cheese really seriously. I buy about a brick a week of Cabot 24-month Vintage Super Sharp Reserve Cheddar. Literally part of the reason I moved to Vermont is for GOOD CHEESE. so, I eat chèvre with water crackers, with a mild cheese to balance it on a bagel, on sourdough bread, yeah - but if you look how complicated my pizza cheeses are, you understand why I spend like half my monthly food budget on cheese. Good cheese make any shitty half-assed college meal taste like heaven.

ALSO: I would be super-interested in getting any other dwellars to give a one-week look at their diet - not for the same reason as me (to shame me into eating better) - but to figure out what different folks in different lifestyles do for their food. sort of an informal social poll. Start your own thread and maintain it for a week if you're willing - disclose anything from your favorite food of the week to everything you consume, there's no pressure. My rules for MY thread are, I post every MEAL and SNACK and one bottle/can of each DIFFERENT beer I drink each day for a week. Your rule can be whatever you want to say. I know that my diet is pretty stereotypical for the 21-year-old new-england liberal-arts pinko queer college student. But I bet Brits have no IDEA what "21-year-old new-england liberal-arts pinko queer college students" eat day-to-day - any more than I have any CLUE what british people my age eat (LOL FISH AND CHIPS AND CURRY RITE?!), let alone what other age brackets eat in different parts of the UK or the US.

If you want to set up anonymous accounts with your geographic region, i'm sure the mods would be happy not trying to "out" you. But I'm super curious who else wants to start a foodblog week. I think it will not only stimulate those of us doing so to think about what we eat, but I think it will help every Dwellar understand a little more about how other age groups, geographic groups, national groups, etc live their day-to-day lives.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
I mean this in a way... I'm hoping to see a vegetable in one of your pictures soon.

Ok, half-point for the tomato base on the pizza.

I have found improving my diet to be a series of little increments. The first step is shopping well. What fresh healthy stuff do you have in the house rfn?
Not much. I stocked up today (that is to say, Friday afternoon - technically it's 4am Saturday here now) at the local grocery store, so you're going to see starting Friday a week of what I bought at the grocery today. I don't really have anything HEALTHY healthy, and since I'm buying for one, picking up veggies that'll only go bad before i use them doesn't seem like the best plan.

the most neutrally not-actually-actively-bad-for-me foods I have around and reasonable to cook are:

Pasta: the way I make it, the cheesiness tends to undo the health of the semolina... I drown it in Parmesan.
Grits: Adding a cubic inch of salted butter and a splash of sea salt, plus, if I have it, a handful of sharp shredded cheddar, makes for the least healthy hominy a college girl can cook.
Bagel: Still just starch and cheese like everything else I eat, cause I eat my bagels either with cream cheese (and, yeah, maybe some chèvre) or as bagel pizzas with a fuckton of cheese. Not really healthy.
V8 "V-fusion": tastes like rich fruit juice; claims to have 1 fruit and 1 vegetable equivalent per serving. Good vodka mixer; the only ACTUAL fruit and veggie I tend to get.

the rest is all blueberry eggo waffles and sweet tea and sweetened cereal and pop-tarts and frozen chicken and frozen pizza and nice cheese and bacon and burgers and mixers and amaretto and vodka and jager.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:23 AM   #8
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Ibby, I think this is a great idea and I hope a few of us will share our foodstuffs.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can't.
I just can't right now.
But I applaud the idea.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Rhianne
Nearly done.

I like the idea too. I'm not doing it though!
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
...Literally part of the reason I moved to Vermont is for GOOD CHEESE.
My family has been buying cheese from Crowley since my Mother was seven years old... she'll be 93 in December. We'd get a 33 lb wheel of cheddar and a 5 lb wheel of sage cheddar, then cut it up for the kin folk. The wheels dropped to 20 lbs in the mid 50s.

Then the government got all pissy about making cheese in the barn with wooden equipment, (flys are protein, man) so they shut down for a year or so then bought all stainless equipment and moved to a dedicated building down the road.

Their cheese was always wonderful and would sharpen up nicely in 4 or 5 months. Unfortunately the last catalog I got showed no wheels at all, only those damn bricks... you know, 8 or 10 oz with color coded wax. I suppose for the tourist trade and mail order it's a good move, but I don't think it tastes the same. But if you're out grooving on the leaves, and going near Healdville, you might stop and see if the store has wheels they'll cut you a piece of.

Oh, Mike Rowe made cheese with them on Dirty Jobs, too.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Ibby, if you want to start HRT, you will want to start a concurrent aspirin regimen. One 86 mg baby aspirin a day will do. But you WILL have to give up the cigs. My endo refused to write for me until I did. I quit that day after 26 years of a pack a day. I was a real bear for two weeks, but it was worth it.

Welcome to the world of women watching their weight! E will tend to slow your metabolism. Also, it will give you osteoporosis, so take a good calcium supplement. If you are going to be taking spironolactone, avoid bananas or other high-potassium foods. And, if I may suggest, cut WAY back on the beer and go with water or water-based beverages. My favorite is unsweetened tea, or perhaps iced tea made with Splenda (sucralose). Ad lots of it. I drink it or the like by the gallon.

My diet is appalling; I cannot process vegetables or spices, so I'm a meat-and-potatoes girl. I love bread and pizza. But I cut out the Tombstones (mostly) and went with homemade. Healthier, with a LOT less sodium. Pizzas can be quite healthy, if you choose your toppings carefully.

let me locate my camera and I will do a foodblog to support you, but also to warn you.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
Ibby, if you want to start HRT, you will want to start a concurrent aspirin regimen. One 86 mg baby aspirin a day will do. But you WILL have to give up the cigs. My endo refused to write for me until I did. I quit that day after 26 years of a pack a day. I was a real bear for two weeks, but it was worth it.
We'll see. I only smoke three or four cigarettes a day so the doc here isn't saying she WON'T write me the rx, but she's cautioning me. same with my diet and high blood pressure. she's thinking of putting me on blood pressure drugs (at 21! jeez!)

Quote:
And, if I may suggest, cut WAY back on the beer and go with water or water-based beverages. My favorite is unsweetened tea, or perhaps iced tea made with Splenda (sucralose). Ad lots of it. I drink it or the like by the gallon.
I just bought a 100-pack of price chopper brand tea bags. I drink my tea so sweet that the stuff i get off the shelf just don't cut it (what can I say, I'm not a southern girl but my 'rents are Alabamian, I need my sweet tea). eight cups of water, eight tea bags, almost a cup of sugar. keeping it in a Carlo Rossi bottle in my fridge - think i'll make up another batch soon. some lemon juice, a pinch of cinnamon, a splash of jagermeister, boil me up a good gallon or two and keep it around. I used to drink a TON of Nestea in Taiwan - but it tastes like ASS in this country. Way better over there.

Quote:
My diet is appalling; I cannot process vegetables or spices, so I'm a meat-and-potatoes girl. I love bread and pizza. But I cut out the Tombstones (mostly) and went with homemade. Healthier, with a LOT less sodium. Pizzas can be quite healthy, if you choose your toppings carefully.
I'm too lazy to make my crusts from scratch, but I buy crusts and make lots of bagel pizzas. What I really love is getting Totinos "party pizzas" and then just adding a fuckton of good cheese and spices and herbs to make it a decent pizza.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15:40

Chèvre and water crackers again.

I like the word chèvre okay

No beer yet; Gold Peak iced tea/lemonade.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

How about adding some grapes, or sliced cucumber, or tomato, or apple to that instead of some of the crackers?