The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #1
Tasneem Project
Writer of Writings

Progressive Islam

In recent decades, a cultural and intellectual trend has emerged, expressing scepticism towards metanarratives which attempt to provide overviews of history, society and humanity. This trend has influenced thinking on socio-political issues and policies, with postmodernist scepticism particularly apparent in studies of gender, but with the same trends finding footholds in a whole range of issues, from international development to education.

Islam is a religion of metanarratives which express the aim of guiding believers in their everyday lives and also in their understanding of the world. Contemporary Muslims working and writing in English have attempted to respond to key socio-political issues with due regard to these grand metanarratives. However, some Muslims have felt it a matter of human and intellectual integrity to challenge or reintepret these metanarratives when confronting key contemporary issues. Frequently, their views have been met with hostility, ostracism and exile, and even murder.

Further information can be found via this links page, developed by a sociologist with a special interest in 'liberal' or 'progressive' Islam:

http://www.unc.edu/~kurzman/LiberalIslamLinks.htm

Tasneem Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Could you repeat that without use of postmodern, deconstructionist bullshit?

Metanarrative?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:02 PM   #3
Tasneem Project
Writer of Writings

Could you repeat your question when you have remembered the manners your mummy taught you, and attended a college where they teach people how to interact in a meaningful way with intellectually challenging texts?
Old 08-10-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

It's ok Wolf, I think I've got it.
Quote:
a cultural and intellectual trend has emerged, expressing scepticism towards metanarratives which attempt to provide overviews of history, society and humanity.
Read as: People seem insulted when they are told how to think.
Quote:
with postmodernist scepticism particularly apparent in studies of gender,
Read as: Women need to get back in their place.

Look Tasneem, I respect views other than mine and your right to hold them. But you don't get any Martyr points for it. You might consider the rights of others to look at an overview of Muslim society, see women treated very badly by our standards, the ones we grew up with here, and judge by those standards. Often times we won't look any deeper into the culture. That's tough. I don't care much about the inner beauty of a culture that teaches half it's population that it should be subservient to the other half. You can say that makes me a bad person if you wish, that's your prerogative. The difference is I won't complain, cast any accusations or martyr myself in response.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:56 PM   #5
Tasneem Project
Writer of Writings

I find your intepretation of the quotes you selected intriguing. Even quite unique.

Your understanding and response are coloured entirely by your own very stereotypical views of Islam. They have nothing to do with the original statement whatsoever.

Liberal Islam is a broadbased, grassroots response to an intellectually intransigent and reactionary current within Islam. This current is seen as 'the' Islam by people like you, Daniel Pipes and his friends in the Whitehouse. If you simply bothered to check the link I posted above, and taken more than a few seconds to reflect on that information, you might have posted something which was actually referred to the real world outside of your own head.

This is why this forum has collapsed. It has become dominated by articulate but intellectually vacuous bullies. I think the term 'right wing bullshitters' kinda sums it up really.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

Actually, I've based my opinions on the people I've met and what I've seen. I've known Muslims, here in the US, and not liked the way they treated women. I hope that is clear now.
     Granted, I haven't met any 'Liberal Islamics' however if you are an example I don't see the change. You use big words and name call. You have been insulting and have a clearly displayed double standard. For example, you were extremely condescending to Wolf for the use of the word 'Bullshit' but then use the term "right wing bullshitters" freely yourself and obviously that's okay.
Quote:
This is why this forum has collapsed. It has become dominated by articulate but intellectually vacuous bullies. I think the term 'right wing bullshitters' kinda sums it up really.
     You clearly lable me a bully here, as well as call me stupid albiet in a verbose way. Think about it. Why are you on the attack if I am the bully? I'm ready to here you out, but I expect you to live up to the standards you set for others. As you said, remember the manners your mummy taught you. I am neither right-wing nor intelectually vacuous. I'm ready to listen, just talk to me with decency and without condecension.
     I thank you for saying that I'm articulate though, I do try.
     Now, want to retry this in simpler terms and explain the 'Liberal Islamic Movement' in your own words?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:16 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, this thread has collapsed because your a pompous ass that want to tell us what to think.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
dave

It's "you're", you old fart.

Isn't Islam that religion that teaches people to kill everyone?
Old 08-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Organized religion is the greatest scam ever sold in the history of mankind.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
juju
no one of consequence

Scams have to have a mastermind, some person intentionally intending to deceive others. Now, I wasn't there when religion was invented, but I highly doubt it was intended to deceive. Most likely it was invented by people who couldn't accept the fact that they were ignorant.

Atheists are no better, of course.

Last edited by juju; 08-10-2003 at 02:49 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 02:52 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Jesus...Mohammed...Buddha...Luther...any of them could have been con artists.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 09:55 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
It's "you're", you old fart.
See, I told you dave still cares.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #13
juju
no one of consequence

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Got any evidence that might suggest it is so?
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:33 PM   #14
russotto
Professor

Liberal Islam?

Is that like Iranian moderates? As in "The Ayatollah Khomeni thanks you on the behalf of the Iranian moderates".

What Islam needs is a really good and deep internal schism, followed by a splintering into many sects with profoundly different basic beliefs, followed by a general disillusionment with the religion and its practices in general. Then, and only then, might it become profoundly less harmful.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 01:38 PM   #15
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I don't think any of them qualify as con artists simply because they didn't benefit from their work. If fact most suffered from it. The true con men are the ones that *organized* these teachings into religions for fun and profit. Once there is a profit then they're a target and tool for every con man that comes along.