The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
staceyv
Lecturer

help!-my husband wants to wear these clothes

This clothing is from an 88 year old man who recently passed away. My husband works with his grandson who gave him these clothes. My husband liked these clothes and wanted to wear them. I was able to talk him out of all but two items, which he refuses to donate to the Salvation Army. The fact that he initially thought they were all nice really scares me. Maybe I'm too snobby? Share your thoughts, please. What if YOUR man wanted to wear this stuff??? And please, don't give me crap about about being a control freak- I don't want people pointing and laughing at my husband when he walks down the street, for Christ's sake.
Attached Images

staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
staceyv
Lecturer

Attached Images

Old 04-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
staceyv
Lecturer

there's more:
I'm having trouble attaching two pictures- it says "attachment in progress" but when I submit my post, there's no picture...If I figure it out, I'll post the last two. These should give you a pretty good idea of what we're dealing with here, though.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
staceyv
Lecturer

I resized it and it's working This is actually the last one- and this coat is one he's keeping. He really likes it. He's keeping the previous one, too.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
staceyv
Lecturer

You know, I kind of feel bad about making fun of this dead old man's clothes. I mean, I know they would look really nice on a cute old man and I don't mean to disrespect him. I just don't think they would look right on a 24 year old man, and I feel kind of weird about having these clothes in my home because their owner passed away.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
monicakat
Homicidal Terrahawk

ouch. I feel your pain- my finance has the *worst* taste in clothing, and almost always wears these olive green shorts he's had for probably 10 years (complete with patches of various material used to plug up the gaping holes), a t-shirt, and short-sleeved button-up. With velcro tennis shoes. Gray velcro tennis shoes. The ensemble, when taken in all at once, is quite heinous. But he refuses to accept my input, insisting that he looks fine. I guess I just feel like I should pick my battles. He rarely wears the Frankenstein shorts outside our home, and I just don't want him to feel like I don't love him the way he is, which I do. One of these days he'll grow up and decide he needs some big boy clothes.... I hope.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

stacy, just bag up the clothes when he's not there and take them to the goodwill or something. That's what I'd do. Last year, my husband wore a bright yellow t-shirt under a teal and blue plaid flannel shirt. From that point on, I have to approve his daily clothing choices.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #8
staceyv
Lecturer

thanks. It feels good to know I'm not alone I just hope he doesn't get mad at me if they disappear!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You are looking at these clothes like an American wife who doesn't want her husband to look like a dork. To a Russian Emigre', this stuff is probably as cool as shit.

Don't sweat it. It's impossible to graft a fashion sense onto men. Just doesn't happen. You should be grateful that he doesn't wear the jeans with the holes over his balls.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Don't sweat it. It's impossible to graft a fashion sense onto men. Just doesn't happen. You should be grateful that he doesn't wear the jeans with the holes over his balls.
This is exactly why I always wear khakis and Oxford or other button-down shirts (with occasional jeans and t-shirts). It's adequate for almost any occasion that doesn't demand a suit and prevents me from having to make awkward fashion decisions that I'd probably fuck up anyway.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #11
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I'm more of a fashion glacier than a fashion catastrophe. I wear the same thing every day. Levi's jeans, black Hane's t-shirt, black combat/work boots. That's it unless I have to be somewhere special.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

I love the sweater in the first pic and the jackets in the second. I actually see people at my school(University at Albany) wearing stuff like those jackets. Some of the other stuff is pretty g-hey.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #13
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

¿
Old 04-17-2005, 10:56 PM   #14
lookout123
changed his status to single

hey, i actually like the jackets in shot # 2. if they were a less cheerful color they would be perfect.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
staceyv
Lecturer

thank you for the lighter fluid- oh my god, I almost died laughing.
those jackets you guys liked- what is that, some kind of retro fashion?
I still don't think he could pull it off...thanks so much (again)for the laugh!