The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Jeeps

We wants one.

Which one? I'm thinking Rubicon, wife doesn't know. We want tough, dependable, off-road capable and reasonably practical.

We don't really drive off-road much, but our road is dirt and muddy when it rains. There are deep ditches on either side that can trap an unwary driver. The Jeep should be able to get out of there on it's own and, should it be required, light off-roading on a friend's ranch. Four wheel drive is a must. Four doors would be really nice. Modifiable is a good thing. I will want tough bumpers, roll bar, winch and probably a snorkel.

What I want right now is the basic package. Model, engine and transmission package that will provide the basis for upgrading as far as we want to go.

Any Jeep enthusiasts that can offer advice?

Pam
Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Take mine - cheap! I think its a P.O.S. I've had to dump more into it than I paid for it.
Trans, electrical, ignition, tires, brakes... did I mention P.O.S.?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I know a bit.

You going new or used? Wranglers don't get below $5k for anything worth buying, but Cherokees do. You can modify anything. Quadratec.com is a good place for parts.

The Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (4door) is a hard core crawler from the factory. It's also big $$.

The Cherokee is light, and very very good in dirt and snow. They stopped making them in 01, but you still see them around. Or you could get a Grand Cherokee very reasonably if you don't mind a few miles.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
glatt

Yeah, but can you take the doors off a Cherokee?
Name:  jeep_strip3.jpg
Views: 2061
Size:  10.4 KB

My neighbor took me for a ride in his jeep with the doors off a couple weeks ago, and it was a blast. Seems like if you are going to go for a somewhat impracticable vehicle like a jeep, you should go for maximum fun factor. Otherwise consider getting a used Subaru. It'll have 4WD and be more reliable and last longer. (Consumer Reports this year said that Subaru now makes the best cars, stealing that title from Toyota.)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
BrianR

Jim, don't they still make a Grand Cherokee? I see one on the Jeep website. It doesn't look like it used to but...

Or is it not the same anymore?

We want new. It's going to get some aftermarket stuff but not for serious off-roading. I drive AROUND rocks, not OVER them. But this is for my wife. I am content with my Avalanche, even though I really wish I had gotten more options and four wheel drive. Maybe I can trade up before they cancel the line.

I'll be talking to my dealer and the bank about that.

Back to the hypothetical Jeep. It has a five speed and a six speed trans. Which should I spec? My wife is useless for opinions beyond which color. Manual, definitely. We both can drive a manual trans. I seem to remember that they are more reliable than automatics. Or has that changed?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

Less to go wrong... but if you're bad at it, you can go through clutches.

If you're going new, and want off road capability, go with the Wrangler. The Grand Cherokee has become a luxury station wagon. They still get it down the Rubicon Trail so they can put the Trail Rated badge on it... but unless you lift it and do some serious suspension mods, it's not really ready to bang around in the dirt.

If you can afford the Rubicon, go that way. It's pretty much ready to go on the trails. I'd say 6 speed if there's a choice. The Rubicon has a Dana44 rear, which means it does not like going more than about 70MPH in 5th. I assume they put the 6 speed out for that reason. Jinx got a 4 door sport, and it's pretty bad ass. damn near as big as my Commander, too.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
BrianR

Thanks Jim. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Six speed it is! Around our place, a 55 mph zone is a block away and it goes up from there.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A comfortable speed is dictated by the gear ratio Jeep chooses to use, not the fact they are using a Dana 44. Some very fast cars, like E-Jags, used a Dana 44.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

The rear in the Rubicon is a 4.10 ratio. The standard rear is a 3.21, or 3.73 if you have the tow package.

link

oh, and Brian. there's only one Manual tranny. (no pun intended) and it's a 6 speed. there are two auto trannys. 4 or 5 speed. probably paired to the 4 or 6 cyl motor.