The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-28-2003, 04:59 PM   #16
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
BTW, you can go here to find out what that song is you're hearing on the radio.
For all of its coolness, does anyone else find it depressing that all these stations all over the country are so completely tied to their playlists, that they can put the info online?

What the fuck ever happened to spontaneity, creativity and freedom in radio?

Radio sucks. Loudly.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:04 PM   #17
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

And...just because I'm feeling a bit cranky, I have another point to make...

Why don't they just project the frigging playlists on into next week? After all, they pretty much know what it is. Why shouldn't they disseminate that info, too? Then, I could look up and see what songs were coming up next Thursday on my way home from recording, and tune to the appropriate station to hear them.

The more I think about this, the more disgusted I get.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:38 AM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Ah, El, my dear ...

Check this.

You will either love her or hate her ... but conservative/"little l" libertarian talk radio plus obscure oldies.

There are occasional oases in the desert of commericial radio.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:34 PM   #19
brookeburkesluvr
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I have Rhapsody, and they tend to make new music available pretty quickly...I listen to it at work, at home, whenever. Now that doesn't help me when I want to listen to tunes in the car, so eventually, if I really like something, I'll have to buy it. If I only want a couple of tunes, I'll go buy them at buymusic.com (and maybe iTunes now).

But if I want the full CD, I'll go buy it at the store--usually Best Buy or Tower (if they have a good sale). I enjoy the liner notes and free goodies that come with 'em these days.
We're using Rhapsody at work now too! We take turns playing "DJ" and it's been so much fun. The new Travis CD came out and it's on Rhapsody. I never used to be so hooked on the online music streaming, but it's become an addiction. We've discovered so much music this way. We share an account too, so we've saved a ton of $$ that we used to spend going out and getting new CDs every once in awhile ~ and the new CD would get old fast anyway and someone would have to go out and buy a new CD, which, as you know, can sometimes be a "crap-shoot" as to if the whole CD will be any good or not.
One thing I don't understand though: if you've already got Rhapsody, then why would you burn your CDs from buymusic or iTunes? Those ones charge 99 cents per track when Rhapsody charges only 79 cents per track. It makes more sense just to do it through Rhapsody, don't you think?
brookeburkesluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:46 PM   #20
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by brookeburkesluvr
One thing I don't understand though: if you've already got Rhapsody, then why would you burn your CDs from buymusic or iTunes? Those ones charge 99 cents per track when Rhapsody charges only 79 cents per track. It makes more sense just to do it through Rhapsody, don't you think?
Let's say there's a song I really like, and I want to take that song and put it into a mix CD. Well, if I use Rhapsody, I have to burn that song onto a CD. Unless you get a CD-RW, you've wasted a CD for one song. And CD-RW's are expensive compared to CD-R's. For 20 cents more, I can have it on my computer and (in most cases) burn it to as many CD's as I want. Now I don't know if once you burn from Rhapsody, the music is copyright-protected or not...but as I see it, burning from Rhapsody only makes sense if you have a set of songs that you want to put on one particular CD. I guess you could always burn them, then rip them from the burned CD, but again, I don't know if that's feasible or not.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:48 PM   #21
elSicomoro

The one thing I don't like about Rhapsody is that it can only run on one computer at a time. So, if I'm at work listening to it, then Rho decides to use it at home, I get booted off. Of course, if Rho would just get a goddamned job, that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:22 PM   #22
brookeburkesluvr
Recruit or Something

With the exception of free-file sharing sites, I would think that any subscription-based service wouldn't allow you to login from more than one computer. Otherwise any number of people could use the same account from anywhere, which obviously would have a negative impact on the provider. It can be a hassle though if you have the jobless roomie competing with you for listening time!

As for burning the tracks, I'm still not quite sure why it wouldn't work for you on Rhapsody the way it would work anywhere else. If you have all the tracks you want in your playlist, you can select any number of them in any order and burn them to CD. The only problem you might have is if there happens to be a track or two you wanted in the same compilation that isn't available on Rhapsody. But then, like you said, you just put all the ones you can get onto CD and then get the other tracks somewhere else and rearrange your compilations later if absolutely necessary.

In a perfect world, they would have every single track ever recorded, but 350,000+ isn't a bad start if you ask me. Sometimes they don't have something that I really want to listen to, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I still highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried one of these before. In fact, I'm sure there are people here who have no idea what we're talking about, so for their edification... -->http://www.bestbuy.com/rhapsody
Old 10-30-2003, 08:03 PM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Rhapsody lovers, I ask you this: what happens when you can stream 128k to your wireless phone, and thus get Rhapsody on your headphones, and in your car?

What happens to radio?

What happens to CDs?

What happens to the iPod?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 08:12 PM   #24
elSicomoro

UT, I will never buy another CD again when that happens...or almost never.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:23 PM   #25
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

http://www.kexp.org/ - KEXP, the little radio station that Paul Allen bought. It used to be KUOW over on the UW campus. It's pretty much listener supported. I got the mug for my $90.3 contribution.

I usually go to Cellophane square here in Seattle to find used CD's, but the stores have been dropping like flies. There's one left in the U district, and I think one up in Bellingham.

I check out the tracks on Amazon, if I can, and then try to find it at Cellophane or http://www.djangos.com/.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:26 PM   #26
elSicomoro

Goddamn...what hasn't Paul Allen bought out there?

Oh that's right...the Mariners. I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't tried to unload them yet.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:48 PM   #27
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

He's got the Seahawks, God knows why. They're doing fine from what little I know. Now the Mariners, I could see him buying them. I have no problem with paying for Safeco field, but we're still paying for he Kingdome, will be until 2012, and the Hawks didn't deserve a new damn stadium.
Old 10-30-2003, 09:51 PM   #28
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
He's got the Seahawks, God knows why. They're doing fine from what little I know.
It's an aberration...the Seahawks are synonymous with futility.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:56 AM   #29
brookeburkesluvr
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Rhapsody lovers, I ask you this: what happens when you can stream 128k to your wireless phone, and thus get Rhapsody on your headphones, and in your car?

What happens to radio?

What happens to CDs?

What happens to the iPod?

Perhaps they will become extinct. Such is the process of natural selection.