The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Photoshop Phrenzy!
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Photoshop Phrenzy! Images out of your own head

Old 08-12-2002, 12:29 PM   #31
dave

That looks suspiciously like Mr Market.

Old 08-12-2002, 01:17 PM   #32
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I think all those people that savaged that man and the 9th Circuit are the true unpatriotic bastards. As would be anyone who physically attempts to stop someone from burning a flag. No one has to like it. In fact, rather than risk assault, why not form your own protest? Grab the biggest stars and stripes you can find, wave it with pride, and lead a group of 100 people in "God Bless America."
Because if I saw someone burning the flag, my goal would not be to show them that I disagree. My goal would be to prevent them from doing so and think twice about it in the future. Like I said, I think a flag-burning amendment is a bad idea, but that doesn't mean I'd sit idly by while someone pissed on everything I hold dear.

I agree it might not be the most intelligent or enlightened response, but I don't really care. If you think that qualifies me as an unpatriotic bastard, fine by me. I'm not interested in winning any popularity contests. I can be a very civil and diplomatic person on most issues, but there are just certain areas where I draw the line. I am against just about any legislation whose primary intent is to take away freedoms or rights, but that doesn't mean I won't do anything about it myself.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:56 PM   #33
Nic Name
retired

Sorry, Perth.

Here's the link: http://www.cofcc.org/rally.htm

Last edited by Nic Name; 08-12-2002 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:04 PM   #34
perth
Strong Silent Type

dammit. nevermind.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:12 PM   #35
juju
no one of consequence

What?
Old 08-12-2002, 05:25 PM   #36
Bigsarge
Defender of Good

Wave the Flag Proudly

Here, here, to Tobiasly for his stand on desecration of our flag. WE do not have to like what they do with our flag, and we do not have to sit idly bye while they are allowed, as Americans, to display their Freedom of Speech. Others may hold a rally with the largest flag they can find, I on the other hand will be in the midst of the desecration rally doing everything within my power to disrupt it. Its my flag, I will protect it at all times. Why is it that I never see anyone burning other countries flags? Could it be that they don't want to have their hands cut off? What a great country we live in. Ahh, Freedom!
Old 08-12-2002, 05:28 PM   #37
dave

Re: Wave the Flag Proudly

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigsarge
Why is it that I never see anyone burning other countries flags? Could it be that they don't want to have their hands cut off? What a great country we live in. Ahh, Freedom!
That was exactly my point.

Old 08-12-2002, 05:51 PM   #38
Bigsarge
Defender of Good

Ol Blue Eyes

Man, I love your 2 Samuel quotation. Samuel is one of my favorite books. I once taught a class on the life of David that went for 10 month's every Wednesday night.

Once saw this on a T-shirt in a catalog, should have bought it then and now I can't find it:

"To be is to do." Socrates
"To do is to be." Plato
"Scooby dooby do." Sinatra
Old 08-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #39
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobiasly
Because if I saw someone burning the flag, my goal would not be to show them that I disagree. My goal would be to prevent them from doing so and think twice about it in the future. Like I said, I think a flag-burning amendment is a bad idea, but that doesn't mean I'd sit idly by while someone pissed on everything I hold dear.

I agree it might not be the most intelligent or enlightened response, but I don't really care. If you think that qualifies me as an unpatriotic bastard, fine by me. I'm not interested in winning any popularity contests. I can be a very civil and diplomatic person on most issues, but there are just certain areas where I draw the line. I am against just about any legislation whose primary intent is to take away freedoms or rights, but that doesn't mean I won't do anything about it myself.
Hey, if you and Sarge want to risk your own freedom by trying to take away another's, that's on you. The only way I see you stopping someone from burning a flag is through physical force (be it manhandling them, dousing them with water, etc.), which can put you at risk for assault against one of these folks. And if you do happen to assault a flag-burner, as I see it, it puts you on the same level as music and speech censors.

The KKK has adopted a stretch of Interstate 55 in south St. Louis County for litter clean-up. As part of that, they get a neat sign saying that they have adopted said section of highway. The MO Dept. of Transportation originally denied them, but the KKK won in court. Since then, the sign has been torn down several times, with someone finally getting caught doing so last year. I admire the action, yet do not condone it. Protesting an action is one thing...destroying state property is another.

Last edited by elSicomoro; 08-12-2002 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:10 PM   #40
dave

It should also be noted that they (the state) named that stretch of highway the Rosa Parks Highway (or freeway or whatever). It should also be noted that no one ever showed up to clean it, and their sponsorship was ended by the state.

Old 08-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #41
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

True...I completely forgot about that (the Rosa Parks Highway). I don't remember them being dropped though. The incident I mentioned was probably 2 years ago.

Back to the point though. You don't have to like the Klan. You can hate 'em with all that you've got. But you don't go out and destroy state property, which in the end, only costs the taxpayers. Go out to one of their rallies and razz the hell out of them. Make a neat little sculpture of a tree with a noose on one of its branches, and a Klansman inside the noose. Be creative.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:23 AM   #42
perth
Strong Silent Type

Re: .

Quote:
Originally posted by Nic Name
Sorry, Perth.

Here's the link: http://www.cofcc.org/rally.htm
s'alright. dont remember what i said anyways. couldnt have been that important.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:30 AM   #43
Bigsarge
Defender of Good

Morning Sycamore, aren't (is that a word?) you glad that we live in a country where I have the freedom to decide to be as stupid as I want and attempt to break up a rally by a bunch or Red Communist Pinko Sympathizers? You know the KKK was just a bunch of men who had no fashion sense. Imagine, wearing white during winter, how absurd and a definate fashion no-no. (wish I knew how to spell fopau)
Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 AM   #44
Tobiasly
hot

Sycamore, I actually agree with most of what you're saying, and if someone else were saying what I was saying to me, I might even argue your point. If that makes sense.

I'm against the government taking away forms of expression, and in general I'm against harming other people or their property to prove a point.

I just know that if I saw someone burning a flag, I doubt I'd go try to reason with them or organize a march. If I saw someone light another person on fire, I wouldn't find a way of protesting their actions, I'd do everything I could to prevent them from doing so. And I think the U.S. flag is such a powerful symbol that I'd do the same thing if that's what they were burning.

Yet I'm against a flag-burning amendment. Go figure. I wasn't trying in my original post to suggest that flag-burners should be systematically beat up, I was trying to point out that not all conservatives want to take away people's rights. Regardless of my personal views on the matter, I wouldn't support an amendment to the Constitution to make flag burning a crime.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:36 AM   #45
perth
Strong Silent Type

bigsarge:

faux pas

~james