The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 11-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #31
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Curly-Wurlies are still on the market I promise - in fact I had one just a few months ago. I prefer to put them in the fridge so that I can snap off sections - if you let the caramel pull, all the chocolate falls off!

Frozen jubblies? I think that's what I get in Winter
I won't hijack this with penny sweets, but I do miss milk teeth and beer bottles.....!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #32
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
If chocolate is to be combined with fruit, that fruit must be raspberry.

It is not to be rudely dipped in the chocolate. It is to be made into a puree and used in various chocolate desserts.
Hang on a minute!- you've completely written off maraschino cherries - BFG to you my revered Overlord - and that's not Big Friendly Giant (a la Raould Dahl), nor anything desultory - no, would I ever (?) - this BFG refers to Black Forest Gateau! - very yummy!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #33
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Anyone into Cadbury's Creme Eggs...?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:32 AM   #34
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Anyone into Cadbury's Creme Eggs...?
Absolutely not! I hate eggs and the fact that the interior of the Cadbury Creme Egg resembles a real egg is enough to make me
Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I enjoy the Cadbury Creme Eggs, but much prefer the Dove truffle Eggs. The Cadbury Eggs are just too sweet ... now, if they were made with Dark Chocolate, they might have something, with a bitter shell being set off by the sweet creme interior. I like the imitation egg looking filling ... actually one of the selling points for me.

Dark Chocolate is the best, the bitterer the better (but still of edible quality rather than baking ingredient quality. I have one of those lindt extra dark 80% bars in the fridge. oooh drool)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 PM   #36
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I LOVE Cadbury Creme Eggs--quasi-yolk filling and all! Gooey goodness! And, after I eat one or two, I can CONQUER THE WORLD!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #37
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Well what do you know - tuned on the telly to watch while I had my cuppa tea - Channel 4, Gordon Ramsay (aka Urbane Guerilla) new food programme on, and what is he cooking? Only venison in a red wine and chocolate sauce!

Seems the chocolate main course is with us to stay!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #38
Hemlock
May Ter Dee

I like all kinds of chocolate - except white. Pappa said "never trust whitey" snd I don't. He also said "the Lord loves a working man," and he taught me the difference between s*** and shinola.

I am still not too sure about that last one...
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You knew that someone would help you out, right?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 11-11-2005, 02:43 AM   #40
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock
...and he taught me the difference between s*** and shinola.

I am still not too sure about that last one...
That's one for 'Wierd Sayings' (and Wolf's answer)
Old 11-11-2005, 03:13 AM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
Well what do you know - tuned on the telly to watch while I had my cuppa tea - Channel 4, Gordon Ramsay (aka Urbane Guerilla) new food programme on, and what is he cooking? Only venison in a red wine and chocolate sauce!

Seems the chocolate main course is with us to stay!
I watched it too & immediately thought of The Cellar!
Can't say I fancied the gannet much though

Creme Eggs seduce me with their shiny red & blue foil wrappers & their comedy fondant egginess. But I always make such a mess when I'm eating one, and always feel a bit sick after.

Wonder what they're like deep fried......?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:45 AM   #42
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Ref Mr Ramsay last night - missed the gannet - dog demanding walkies!

Also saw in paper this morning that Jamie Oliver was in trouble for slaughtering a lamb on prime time TV. Reminded me immediately of that time Simon Dee banged a budgie cage which resulted in an instantaneous end to his career - we Brits won't stand any foul play when it comes to animals (even with dogs who want walkies!)

Back to chocolate - why on earth did they discontinue walnut whips???????
Old 11-11-2005, 06:01 AM   #43
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I missed Jamie, but from what I have heard about the programme I would not have had a problem with it. I'm not a vegetarian and I can face up to the fact that animals are killed in order for me to eat them.

Anyway, balaclava away, hijack avoided - Walnut Whips? Do you have a very poorly stocked sweet shop near you, or are you subscribing to "Vanishing Chocolate Weekly"? I am pretty convinced I have seen Walnut Whips on sale recently... It will be my mission this lunchtime.

If they really have disappeared, you know M&S do a reasonable facsimile don't you?

Like Creme Eggs, I have always found them hard to eat in a clean way. In both senses of the word.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #44
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl
Walnut Whips? Do you have a very poorly stocked sweet shop near you, or are you subscribing to "Vanishing Chocolate Weekly"? I am pretty convinced I have seen Walnut Whips on sale recently... It will be my mission this lunchtime.

If they really have disappeared, you know M&S do a reasonable facsimile don't you?

Like Creme Eggs, I have always found them hard to eat in a clean way. In both senses of the word.
You are a veritable fountain of confectionary knowledge. Haven't seen WWs down here for years, and was sure there was a press article about their being axed way back. M&S WWs haven't seen either - although trips tend to be for the trooses and undiwundies, so tend to give the food hall a miss. I will explore thoroughly next visit.

I agree with you about Creme Eggs - they are definitely members of the 'sounded like a good idea at the time' fraternity - so sticky...!

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 11-11-2005 at 08:15 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #45
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Communication error: Did you just say that you go to the store to buy a device to keep your hernia from sticking out and underpants?