Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"Not One Damn Dime Day"

I got an email advising me that Jan 20th is "Not One Damn Dime Day"

Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq, since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose it, Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day" in America.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name in Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer spending.
During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse purchases.
Not one damn dime for anything for 24 hours.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day," please boycott Wal-Mart, Kmart and Target.
Please don't go to the mall or the local convenience store. Please don't buy any fast food (or any groceries at all for that matter).
For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy down.

There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing agenda to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing. You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed.

For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our religious leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility to end the war in Iraq and give America back to the people.

Interesting concept...you can even protest in secret.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:04 PM   #2
Dr. Zaius
Superior Inhabitant

Maybe I am missing something I don't see where this form of protest really has any impact. It reminds me of those boycott the big oil company drives where they try to put the hurt on Exxon or whoever by not purchasing gasoline for just one day. They just make it all up the next day when we all go back to buying the gas because we need it. Same here. Whatever these companies lose they make up when you go back to buying. A one day dip followed by a one day blip. Seems to me a boycott (if this is one) has to have some bite to be effective. To quote California's governor "No pain. No gain."
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Thought of this.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Conservative lists have been heatedly discussing not one damn dime day ... and the consensus is to go and spend spend spend at any of the hated retailers on the buyblue.org "redlist".

Bonus points for purchasing firearms and/or ammunition.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

I like the idea, but yeah as Wolf said, people will just spend that much the day before or the day after, so although making a brief statement.. ultimately it doesn't make a damn bit of difference.. and the other thing is that it downright saddens me to think that this country has really become this polarized.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Actually that was Dr. Zaius' point (blip down/blip up). Don't want to take credit for something that wasn't my work.

Mine was the "I'm buying at Walmart, so there, you Kerry Supporting French Loving Weenies!"

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Last edited by wolf; 01-07-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius
Maybe I am missing something I don't see where this form of protest really has any impact.
No it probably doesn't have much of a financial impact, but I don't think that's the point. The point is to send a message that some of us are sick of the crap that's going on. Maybe it'll send a message to them, maybe not. But I do like the idea.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:21 AM   #8
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

maybe we should all paint our asses green for one day. or we could all wear yellow hats. oh wait...i got it.....let's all shave our heads and hand out flowers at the airports and shopping malls. that'll make em think twice about invading any more countries.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
maybe we should all paint our asses green for one day..
I dare ya...
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #10
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

What about things which you pay for anyway, in this modern world of ours? Water/gas/electric bills, or rent and tuition?

(There's also "<a href="http://www.adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/">National Buy Nothing Day</a>" the day after thanksgiving, incidentally.)
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

It's really too bad they didn't come up with something those of us who are not pinkos could be down with.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Pinkos? Where did that come from?
Quote:
No it probably doesn't have much of a financial impact, but I don't think that's the point.
Agreed...nobody get's hurt. The big companies don't lose except for maybe a random impulse buy. Middle management might be annoyed to have a full compliment of sales staff on hand and half the normal customers, but the way they staff stores these days that would be right ratio, for a change.
Besides it's more American than a roadside bomb.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:55 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

eh, what the heck. Let them have their fun.

I mean when else can you make a political statement, feel good about yourself doing it, and actually do nothing?

Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 AM   #14
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
It's really too bad they didn't come up with something those of us who are not pinkos could be down with.
If you don't buy something every single day, you're a communist?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:36 AM   #15
Griff
still says videotape

The idea seems to be to punish commerce for a day, regardless of the business owners position on the war, that sounds pretty leftish to me. You can't blame the Iraq conflict on folks trying to make a living. Find a way to slap down all the officials who supported the war. Avoid doing business with war mongers but don't blame your local coffee/bike/book shop. One mans symbolism is another mans bread and butter. Of course the war mongers will be out spending like mad to prove they're patriotic...