The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 10-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #3421
Flint
Snowflake

That time The Oatmeal raised over $200,000 for charity, just to get unattributed comics taken down from a sleazy content aggregator. A long, amusing saga if you click through and follow all the links.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #3422
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
The main thing I struggle with is eliminating wet mouth noise. The only thing I've found that helps is to munch on apple slices between takes. That's part of why I haven't done any discussion-style episodes--munching apples on-mic is off-putting, but without them my voice can sound like a cat trying to escape a bucket full of gelatin dessert.
Before you open your mouth to start a sentence, separate your teeth and drop your tongue off your palate inside your still-closed lips. That keeps the sucking noise inside. In slow motion it is three steps, teeth-tongue-lips, at full speed it's opening your mouth from back-to-front instead of front-to-back. Practice enough and it just becomes the way you open your mouth, you won't even think about it anymore. It helps train the muscles if you try to keep your teeth slightly separated within your mouth throughout the day, even when you're not talking. This also, incidentally, can help with overall anxiety levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_pastrami
If it's a shortage of ideas or material, I may also be able to be helpful since I have a surplus of both.
If you mean you have a surplus of nonfiction ideas that need to be written about and/or spoken about, I'd happily write a few for you. I remember looking into your website several years ago, but the contribution guidelines said you had more writers than you could cope with, so I didn't pursue it further. That might have been before you were doing podcasts though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #3423
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Despite being socially retarded, I don't believe in doing a show alone. It's just not all that interesting.
I can understand that view. But if you cannot find someone to be a podcast partner, you could have your one voice be a host who interviews third parties, and let them be the other voices. A variation of the Science Friday format. Of course that requires reaching out to strangers to talk on the phone/skype/etc, the mere thought of which personally causes me to break out into a cold sweat.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #3424
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Before you open your mouth to start a sentence, separate your teeth and drop your tongue off your palate inside your still-closed lips. That keeps the sucking noise inside. In slow motion it is three steps, teeth-tongue-lips, at full speed it's opening your mouth from back-to-front instead of front-to-back. Practice enough and it just becomes the way you open your mouth, you won't even think about it anymore. It helps train the muscles if you try to keep your teeth slightly separated within your mouth throughout the day, even when you're not talking. This also, incidentally, can help with overall anxiety levels.
Thanks for the detailed instructions! I'll see if I can master the process with any success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
If you mean you have a surplus of nonfiction ideas that need to be written about and/or spoken about, I'd happily write a few for you. I remember looking into your website several years ago, but the contribution guidelines said you had more writers than you could cope with, so I didn't pursue it further. That might have been before you were doing podcasts though.
Well, I do have such a surplus of non-fiction topics, my "write about this someday" folder tests the endurance of the scroll wheel. But here I was referring to a surplus of ideas/concepts for podcasts. If I didn't have to work a day job, I'd be tempted to launch a couple more podcasts, because there's such huge potential for niftiness. In fact, I'm working on a limited-run side podcast idea in my "spare time," likely to see the light of day approximately when podcasts fall out of style.

In regards to your interest in writing with us, it is still true that our problem is not too few skilled writers, it's too little editing bandwidth. But we do still occasionally welcome new writers who demonstrate considerable skill and interest. The challenge is helping them maintain that interest as they wait for their works to wind through our slow-moving machine. I essentially work three part-time jobs, so I am the bottleneck. But the good news is I *may* have found a way to whittle it down to a mere two part-time jobs, which will free up some time and energy.

I'm rambling. In short, if you really are interested in participating, and you possess a surplus of patience, there's a good chance we can make it happen. I have a Google Doc outlining our process and such, I can share it if you send me a Google Doc email address.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:11 PM   #3425
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

The Jargon File

credit to Happy Monkey "...on the gripping hand..."
Old 10-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #3426
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Big hair of the stars in the 80's.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #3427
glatt

Sarah Purcell.

That's a name I haven't thought of in decades. She was in something like That's Incredible, wasn't she?

Edit: Real People. Same thing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:05 PM   #3428
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Sarah Purcell.

That's a name I haven't thought of in decades. She was in something like That's Incredible, wasn't she?

Edit: Real People. Same thing.
We need a historical preservation society to foster and maintain awareness that That's Incredible and Real People were two different things...and which one was the one that had Fran Tarkenton...wasn't he a football guy...who did he play for...? etc.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #3429
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The boredom of the British Empire...
Quote:
From ten to eleven, ate a breakfast at seven;
From eleven to noon, to begin ‘twas too soon;
From twelve to one, asked “What’s to be done?”
From one to two, found nothing to do;
From two to three, began to foresee
That from three to four would be a damned bore.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #3430
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
Fran Tarkenton...wasn't he a football guy...who did he play for...? etc.
Vikings and Giants

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #3431
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Mike Firesmith started his annual Halloween story tonight, it will run each night for five or six days, and they're always good.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #3432
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Could someone take a look at this article and tell me if it's correct, close-to-correct, or, bullshit?

I am quite high atm, and don't know if I'm 'getting it'...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #3433
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Also, I want whatever this dizzy heifer is smoking.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:29 PM   #3434
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Could someone take a look at this article and tell me if it's correct, close-to-correct, or, bullshit?

I am quite high atm, and don't know if I'm 'getting it'...
It's both true and bullshit. Depends on how you look at it.

On a micro scale, my dead cousin has about $10k in savings bonds. Back in the 80s and 90s he gave about $5k to the US government, and they gave him some pieces of paper in return. He died, and in 2017, I'm going to cash in those savings bonds, which matured years ago but are still accruing good interest, and the US government is going to pay his estate about $12k.

He actually worked for the government, so in his case, you could actually argue that they used the $%k he gave them to turn around and pay him his salary. And soon his estate will get $12k when I cash it in.

The US government isn't hurt by this deal until I cash them in, and then they have to cough up the extra $7k or so.

(I'm making those numbers up. But they are close.)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:25 PM   #3435
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'm more concerned by money being sucked out of this country and sent to China, et al.