The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Nirvana
Back in 10

I am not a professional

I have always worked on our farm and the other business that I owned and managed. We have reduced the number of cattle we have so chores are less. The last time I applied for a job I was 18 years old. I guess I am bored but would like the extra money a part time job would offer. I made a resume which basically shows I am unskilled labor with an education. I have no work history other than self employment and I occasionally cut material at home for a clothing designer.

I started applying for jobs when I would be on the phone with my friend who was desperately looking for work. I was trying to be supportive and help her look at the online jobs available. We both applied to a small candy factory that is a very close knit group. They called me for an interview 2 months later. I have to say I was very surprised but how hard can it be to work in a candy factory? Who wouldn't want to work in a small candy factory? I have an interview tomorrow.

QUESTION: What should I take to the interview besides myself?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

My best wishes.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Wear nice clothes and a smile. That ought to do it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
gvidas
Hoodoo Guru

Three brief anecdotes from your time being self-employed, each one clearly and concisely demonstrating one of the following: leadership, problem solving, self-directed time management, responsibility, etc.

If it's purely a manual-labor type gig, focus on self direction, time management, problem solving, and responsibility.
gvidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
glatt

Good luck Nirvana!

(Your "how hard can it be?" reminds me of the Lucy episode where she's working in the chocolate factory and can't keep up with the assembly line. Classic.)
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
Nirvana
Back in 10

Thanks its production line The Lucy Show was the first thing I thought of, they make licorice, which is good , chocolate would make me fat.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

I always take an extra copy of my resume with me - to reference with the interviewer - who may not have a print copy.

Good luck!

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

Good luck gvidas' advice seems sound. Also make sure you know their product line. Plus you say it's a tight knit group so make sure you know the hierarchy to the best of your ability. I was/am in a similar situation and recently had a temp job and these were the things that came up at my interview.

Out of curiosity, did your friend get a call too?
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Nirvana
Back in 10

Thanks Monster my friend got a call from a different place and has interviewed there. [yay] This happened the same day so it was all good.
My husband's favorite candy is made by this place. They have a factory here and in Oregon. I may be able to know the hierarchy if and after they hire me.
Taking an extra resume is a good idea I have one in my purse.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Nirvana
Back in 10

I should have said the person that called told me they plan something for 10 of us that are coming in and then there are one on one interviews. I remember years ago just going in filling out an application and then you were hired. [back when I trudged to school in mountains of snow ]
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #11
Nirvana
Back in 10

I kind of wonder if the 10 people interview is to get maybe drug testing out of the way. Not that I care nothing stronger than ibuprofen going on here. That is another new adventure I am told by the experienced when a complete stranger stays with you while you pee in a cup. I always wondered how much they get paid to wait for people to pee , I probably don't want that job
Old 11-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I've been at a place that did group interviews, usually it's just ice-breaker games, or go around the room introducing yourself and telling a favorite candy story, that kind of thing. They want to see how you function in a group, whether you're friendly or standoffish, obnoxious to others or too goofy to get work done when it's needed.

All the places I've been at outsourced their pee-testing to a third party, meaning they sent you offsite to a lab. I guess they might bring a lab person to the factory for a sufficiently large employer, but for just ten people I'd imagine it wouldn't be worth it. Maybe if they test the entire workforce at the same time, though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
monster
I hear them call the tide

For that job and my swim coach gig, I just had to tell them I was happy to take drug test, they never made me. But I doubt it would be at your interview -outsourced to a lab like CF says.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Don't just answer their questions. Ask questions of your own - about the job and about the company.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Just enjoy a lollipop during the interview.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote