The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #91
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Dutschke sounds like a real gem.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #92
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
You know why forums always have trolls? Because the internet is made of cats. Ever seen a cat sitting atop a tall fence and winding up the frantic dog below?

Now: how bout everyone settles down and stops investing this thread with way too much importance. It's a conversation in a pub and sometimes the tone drifts downwards even though everyone is genuinely moved by the enormity of events.
belongs in the what's irritating me thread really, but noticed here.

I heard the word "enormity" used in a commercial on television this week and I LOLed because it was in the context of advertising a credit card for Bank of America (I have an exceedingly low opinion of BofA) and found it shockingly funny and candid that they'd describe the usefulness of their credit card with that term. Twil asked me why I was laughing and I explained to here what I'd heard and when I double checked the definition of that word, I found that it no longer *only* means exceedingly wicked or horrible, etc, but is now also used to just mean really big, like "enormous".

wtf.

Now because lots of people misuse a word we're just gonna go with that? I don't mind the promiscuous nature of English--I celebrate that--but I'm sad that it it's being stampeded by the ignorant users. *sigh*
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #93
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
we don't have a thread covering the Ricin envelopes mailed to congress and the President, so I figured I'd post this here.
I was discussing him without citing his name. He had a long history of preaching government conspiracies. IOW he had a long history of 'knowing' what extremists rhetoric taught. He knew without first learning facts. He knew only the first thing he was told.

An example of why a greatest threat to American citizens is citizens educated in extremist rhetoric. As Timothy McVeigh demonstrated so long ago.

Only moderates and extremists exist. If you learn that, then extremists lose their bogeyman. Extremists need that bogeyman to justify rhetoric and hate.
Do you think you can put down that pitchfork long enough to come up with a non-New York Post cite for this statement? Or will you admit your error and retract your mistake?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #94
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Or will you admit your error and retract your mistake?
News reports framed Curtis with a history of extremist rhetoric. Facts now say something different. Either the FBI or numerous news sources got it wrong.

We know that extremists, such as McVeigh, are destructive. They operate on their emotions like a child rather than grasp reality as an adult. Now, if that is not characteristic of extremism, then you must also explain why. No ‘why’ means your accusation lacks credibility.

As Happy Monkey noted, this may be J. Everett Dutschke framing Paul Curtis. Portraying Curtis as a wacko extremist by forging Curtis's name to a letter. FBI charged Curtis with mailing ricin. The accusation should have been associated with some collaborating evidence. Such as tools used to make ricin. Or finger prints on those letters. District attorney' should have confirmed the FBI had some hard facts. Apparently the FBI only had Curtis's history as evidence to accuse him.

FBI made a similar mistake in May 2004 by accusing Oregon lawyer Brandon Mayfield with bombing a Madrid train station. Using only a partial finger print and no other facts. How did someone in Oregon somehow make bombs in Spain? FBI and associated District Attorney should have learned from their history and mistakes. Not accuse Curtis without any hard facts. Leaving us and the press to now ask how often does Justice jump to accusations without facts.

Dutschke may have used extremist acts to harm Curtis. So we wait for the FBI to find Duschke's source of ricin. Apparently FBI and district attorney learned their lesson. They avoided accusing Dutschke without facts - as they should have done with Curtis.

That still does not change what many extremists do.
Quote:
An example of why a greatest threat to American citizens is citizens educated in extremist rhetoric. As Timothy McVeigh demonstrated so long ago.
The example is correct as demonstrated by no ‘reasons why’ from BigV. Unfortunately the example, this time, was FBI created fiction.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #95
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Salt Lake City Marathon.
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 AM   #96
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Don't get. Help please?
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #97
Griff
still says videotape

I don't think Bruce grew up in an America where this kind of security becomes necessary... come to think of it neither did I. We used to think we were special. I guess that's how we fucked up.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #98
glatt

some runners have numbers, and some don't. Why? Is that dude official security or is he just openly carrying to protect himself?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #99
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh he has a gun!
Honestly only noticed it because of Glatt's post (thankyou)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #100
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He's just one of the runners, but chose to run armed.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #101
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
He's just one of the runners, but chose to run armed.
If he was armless, then would he be handicapped? Or does that only apply to horses?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #102
regular.joe
Старый сержант

I"ll put good money on this guy being an SF weenie wannabe reservist who thinks he's being cool in some stupid out of place kind of way. I can tell by the silly hat, with the sunglasses piched on top, and the coyote colored, SOF issue geardo kit.

Quiet professional wannabe who can't resist trying to show off and call attention to his cool self in public, yea, that's my call.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #103
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I considered that he may work at an Army surplus store and was doing some advertising; but, I like your assessment better.

Of course, he could be a paintball commando gone wild!
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #104
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
If he was armless, then would he be handicapped?
Yes, of course. And if he were legless then he would be footicapped.

Where did you go to school?
Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #105
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

So what are you then, Footicapable?