The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #31
Griff
still says videotape

Apparently Francis kissed the feet of two women on Good Friday. Can we hope that he actually believes?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Apparently Francis kissed the feet of two women on Good Friday. Can we hope that he actually believes?
First invite some girls on a date to some ceremony. Then kiss them. Eventually marriage and a baby. Finally a pope that gets it. Unfortunately he still needs to learn how to kiss.

Maybe the Ninja Turtles can teach him. Cardinals certainly have no clue.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Some girls like it like that.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:38 AM   #34
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Some girls like it like that.
Which? Getting married? Or having all men groveling at their feet?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #35
tw

Traditionalists want to be told how to think. Also called brainwashing. The Pope has created them a problem by endorsing thinking for yourself rather than blindly following rhetoric. Previous Popes demanded one only know what they were told to think. Only that works for orthodox types who traditionally also hate innovation and change.

From the Washington Post of 14 October 2013:
Quote:
"Conservative Catholics question Pope Francis's approach"

The wary traditionalists became critical when, in an interview a few weeks ago, Francis said Catholics shouldn’t be “obsessed” with imposing doctrines, including on gay marriage and abortion. Then earlier this month, Francis told an atheist journalist that people should follow good and fight evil as they “conceive” of them. These remarks followed an interview with journalists this summer aboard the papal airplane in which the pope declared that it is not his role to judge someone who is gay "if they accept the Lord and have goodwill."

Never mind that the pope has also made clear his acceptance of church doctrine, which regards homosexuality and abortion as sins and bans women from the priesthood. Behind the growing skepticism is the fear in some quarters that Francis’s all-embracing style and spontaneous speech, so open as it is to interpretation, are undoing decades of church efforts to speak clearly on Catholic teachings. Some conservatives also feel that the pope is undermining them at a time when they are already being sidelined by an increasingly secular culture. ...

Now many of the same traditionalists are attempting to reconcile Francis's seemingly open statements with this sense of what it means to be Catholic. The conclusions they reach vary greatly.

Some report praying deeply on the matter and finding that struggling with the dissonance has strengthened their connection to their faith. They are sharing widely online essays with names like "Pope Francis is killing me," and "Why Pope Francis makes me uncomfortable."
Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 PM   #36
tw

An obstruction to reform is a Catholic Church with widely divgerent views based in venue. From the Washington Post of 9 Feb 2014:
Quote:
19 percent of Catholics in the European countries and 30 percent in the Latin American countries surveyed agree with church teaching that divorcees who remarry outside the church should not receive Communion, compared with 75 percent in the most Catholic African countries.

30 percent of Catholics in the European countries and 36 percent in the United States agree with the church ban on female priests, compared with 80 percent in Africa and 76 percent in the Philippines, the country with the largest Catholic population in Asia.

40 percent of Catholics in the United States oppose gay marriage, compared with 99 percent in Africa.

The poll, which was done ... for Univision, ... focused on 12 countries across the continents with some of the world’s largest Catholic populations. The countries are home to more than six of 10 Catholics globally.

“This is a balancing act. They have to hold together two increasingly divergent constituencies. The church has lost its ability to dictate what people do,” said Ronald Inglehart, founding president of the World Values Survey, an ongoing global research project.

“Right now, the less-developed world is staying true to the old world values, but it’s gradually eroding even there. [Pope Francis] doesn’t want to lose the legitimacy of the more educated people,” he added.
An example of 'values' is that pedophiles are gay. Pedophiles are mostly hetro-sexual males. Eventually, education will replace emotional beliefs. An example of reform and changes taking so long as to put stress on church integrity, credibility, and relevance.
Quote:
“If you accommodate contraception, does that mean you’d allow abortion? How do you distinguish which aspects of teaching go together? Bioethics is a new frontier that forces moral thinkers and ethicists to constantly ask: What is humanity?” ...

So what is Pope Francis’s plan, if he has one?

Critics say his solicitation of opinions wrongly gives the appearance that Catholicism is a democracy. Others — including the authors of this poll — say there’s no evidence that he would touch doctrine and is seeking a deeper understanding of why so many Catholics reject church teachings so as to better market them.
Research avoids a fundamental and underlying concept. Religion is a relationship only between one and his god. A church and its more traditional followers apparently are not ready to address, protects, or want to ignore what creates so many divergent opinions and resulting hate.

Fear of change is apparently strongest in venues with lower education levels and where female circumcision is tolerated. Opinions may be widening and hardening. Maybe.

A Church that even denied and protected pedophilia; can it really address these larger problems apparently entrenched by venue?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #37
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sometimes I think we are diametrically opposed TW.
But on this I'm with you.
"Values" indeed.

I was talking to Rich the other day. I'm not sure we're on exactly the same page re gay marriage, but we're certainly in the same chapter. An American Jew and an English ex-Catholic can agree more readily than two people of Faith (as it was always said to me by the nuns) ruled by the same chap.

And I can totally believe that, having known many African Christians. African as in having been born and grown up in Africa, not as in descended from people who lived in Africa six generations ago. There is a very VERY conservative church there. They give the Phelps a run for their money. You do not want to tell a Nigerian or Ghanaian mama about your gay-sympathising ways. I had one such matron tell me, albeit in a roundabout way, that I should have been smacked more with a spoon as a child.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:18 PM   #38
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
But on this I'm with you.
"Values" indeed.
I'm not sure which 'opinion' you agree with. Since I presented no opinions. I provided and summarized many facts. And asked some serious questions. What have we agreed on? Or do you agree with trends cited by their survey?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #39
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Never mind.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #40
Griff
still says videotape

Must be the weather.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #41
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Never mind.
That'll learn ye.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #42
tw

Quote:
Never mind.
Why is that difficult? I never stated any opinions. (In fact, I probably disagree with most of it.) So again, which trends in that survey do you agree with?

Last edited by tw; 02-12-2014 at 12:32 AM.