The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Calling all UK peoples!

Hi gang!

I just got an odd job offer in my inbox (apparently my contact info was found on a job site where I've posted my CV for "work from home"). The message came from "Royal Mail, US Department," and the sender's email address is: info@royalmail-com.us via cmail2.com. That the message was sent "via" someone else is my first concern.

Anyway, I'm curious if any of you might know anything about this. Here's the email message I got:

Quote:
We are looking for person for "correspondence processor" position.

Our at-home position will take just an hour per day. So you can manage the time according your plans and just check the mailbox to count mail by end of the day.

Royal Mail assigns you to perform the following tasks:
1. Receive paper mail for our client names to your address.
2. Count and notify us via email about received paper mail.
3. Receive prepaid shipping labels via email for weekly forwarding of collected mail.
4. Forward mail to proper address according with provided information to the nearest FedEx office (or FedEx dropbox) every Tuesday.

Just click to see attached Contract, it will take you ten minutes to fill document up. After it will be sent to us, you are considered for this position and we will contact you within the next 1-2 days.

We process your compensation through PayPal weekly.

Click HERE to download contract.doc file [Note: I haven't downloaded a damned thing!]
This URL is valid until 20th of March, 2014

Completed contract send to info@royalmail-com.us

Combine your experience and at-home location by joining our exciting US Department of Royal Mail is pleased to offer a competitive compensation and ability to have another prime job. If you will demonstrate sens of professional communication with all levels of the organization, working with us you may find an excellent career development opportunities. These are challenging and exciting times to join the Royal Mail. In return for their commitment, we can offer new staff a competitive salary plus all the training and development they need to reach their full potential.

Royal Mail aims to recruit the best personnel in all areas of our business. As a world-class company, we offer roles in operations, human resources, finance, sales and marketing and IT, as well as in our management and executive teams. Our vision is to be the most successful delivery company. Royal Mail employees are at the forefront of our ambition to deliver the best possible service to our customers. In line with our ambitious programme of transformation and change – we’re modernising. This means increased investment in training and equipment, including spending on automation processes in order to make them less laborious.
Given the poor spelling/grammar, I'm pretty skeptical. What say you?
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

I say bull
Old 03-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Glinda

Yeah, I can't figure out why the Royal Mail would want a US postmark on mail from the UK.

And here I was hoping I could retire on this gig! HA!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Not only did Monster beat me too it, she's somewhat more concise!

FWIW...

Don’t touch it with a barge pole. You will either be roped in to a money laundering racket or similar criminal enterprise, or you will be relieved of your own money. Heaven alone knows what they will be sending to you if you sign up for the former.

Doing a search on royal mail-com.us returns nothing but you might wish to dig a little deeper. If you right click on the item in your Inbox and select ‘Properties’ on the drop down menu, a dialogue box will appear.
Click the ‘Details’ tab then ‘Message Source’. You won’t open up anything nasty by doing this. You’ll then see the unformatted message in another larger box. A couple of lines down you’ll see the Sender IP.
Do a search on WHOIS, or simply a Google search and you should find out where the mail originates. My money’s on Nigeria, China , Russia, or other East European country.

BTW, the words below may well be relevant to your Email.

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-12-2014 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Spilling.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
Glinda

Hm. When I right click on the inbox message, my only options are to save, delete, or mark as unread. If I right click on the actual (opened) message, I get View Page Source, View Page Info, or Inspect Element, and I don't find any "sender" or "sender ID."

Nevertheless, I did some scratching around on the Intarweebs, and it seems I'm not the only person getting this message. Someone else got the same one, and that person posted some info he gleaned from the email:

Quote:
Return-Path: <USDeptofRoyalMail-qyuuyt1iumhkhj1i@cmail1.com>
Received: from compute1.internal (compute1.nyi.mail.srv.osa [10.202.2.41])
by sloti15t15 (Cyrus git2.5+0-git-fastmail-9406) with LMTPA;
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:30:24 -0400
X-Sieve: CMU Sieve 2.4
X-Spam-charsets: subject='utf-8', plain='utf-8', html='utf-8'
X-Resolved-to: ???????????@xsmail.com
X-Delivered-to: ???????????@xsmail.com
X-Mail-from: USDeptofRoyalMail-qyuuyt1iumhkhj1i@cmail1.com
Received: from mx2 ([10.202.2.201])
by compute1.internal (LMTPProxy); Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:30:24 -0400
Received: from mx116.d.outbound.createsend.com (mx116.d.outbound.createsend.com [27.126.148.116])
by mx2.messagingengine.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3EF046C0471
for <???????????@xsmail.com>; Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:30:24 -0400 (EDT)
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; s=cs2013; d=cmail1.com;
h=From:To:Reply-Toate:Subject:MIME-Version:Content-Type:List-Unsubscribe:Sender:Message-ID; i=hr=3Dus-royalmail.com@cmail1.com;
bh=oxstco0Jb5uLaE/EI30L0CinKaE=;
b=pvZiCfiUDcawlNZdxB0xNEZoWbqkS7vAFOZx8mYXx0YQyFrD9fSyXAHDxnvXHrS9OwkC80td8ZdJ
iLsiJxt0awM2mM8JW+Nt9INjJol03UEpF8G+IE9U28SEPw+FilOqq1U1L9k/Syi0hYNKclsOPW1r
k4rsvS4nFmDNHTSwfMU=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; q=dns; s=cs2013; d=cmail1.com;
b=XjB0YKRKYO+MmK+gWwdAObhdtGZyo3rgL58aFHdDHXuz3Uv7a3GuKyLTcDJXzjrDCF375Eewv7u9
s/Kl/1hQWMDkGL2CVSIPmpT2KxQ6jIuaOfdvWa4vPv36ET6aUeout1bOskewZnXY22xJCrHussbf
sU/xmP6xWj7vFnEdz+8=;
Received: by mx116.d.outbound.createsend.com id h77ai01hsps0 for <???????????@xsmail.com>; Thu, 19 Sep 2013 02:30:19 +1000 (envelope-from <USDeptofRoyalMail-qyuuyt1iumhkhj1i@cmail1.com>)
To: "???? ???????" <???????????@xsmail.com>
Reply-To: hr@us-royalmail.com
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 02:30:17 +1000
Subject: =?utf-8?Q?Job_for_?=
=?utf-8?Q?????_????????=
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="_=aspNetEmail=_d5ac7ea1424a43408b0e262e3dec0fec"
X-Mailer: Create Send
X-Complaints-To: abuse@cmail1.com
List-Unsubscribe: <http://unsub.cmail1.com/t/i-u-qyuuyt-iumhkhj/>
Sender: "U.S. Dept of Royal Mail" <hr=us-royalmail.com@cmail1.com>
Received: from [71.58.172.75] by cmail1.com via HTTP; Thu, 19 Sep 2013
02:30:17 +1000
Message-ID: <cm.023017.qyuuyt.iumhkhj.i@cmail1.com>
Ah well, another lucrative career gone up in smoke. *pout*
Old 03-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
monster
I hear them call the tide

I don't think the Royal Mail has a US department does it? Plus this approach is as old as the hills in the job scam department and is found all over craigslist. there's a good chance that anyone picked at random will have at some point posted a CV somewhere and forgotten about it.

plus look at the grammar and spelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scammers
If you will demonstrate sens of professional communication with all levels of the organization
Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Glinda

Exactly. The Royal Mail would never send something so poorly written/spelled.

SCAM!

So here's another question. At the bottom of the message, there's an option to unsubscribe. Should I click it?
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
Hm. When I right click on the inbox message, my only options are to save, delete, or mark as unread. If I right click on the actual (opened) message, I get View Page Source, View Page Info, or Inspect Element, and I don't find any "sender" or "sender ID."

Nevertheless, I did some scratching around on the Intarweebs, and it seems I'm not the only person getting this message. Someone else got the same one, and that person posted some info he gleaned from the email:

Ah well, another lucrative career gone up in smoke. *pout*

Second line down at the end: 10.202.2.41
Similarly tenth line down: 10.202.2.201

Both return as US originators. Wherever it's coming from just ignore it.

Don't click on 'Unsubscribe'. Therein lies disaster. They'll then know that they have a live Email address and you'll be spammed for all eternity... or longer.

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-12-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: 'Unsubscribe' note.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #9
Glinda

Thanks for the great advice, everyone! I appreciate it.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Cmail1.com is the email domain used by CreateSend.com's bulk email system This is the spyware domain used by CreateSend to monitor their bulk email campaign sendouts.

Company Contact  
89 Frederick Road
Rainham, Essex RM13 8NS
United Kingdom
email: info@uttercouture.com
Sounds to me like they want to use you as a dropbox for the spam victims to send money too, then your forward to the spammers.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Sounds to me like they want to use you as a dropbox for the spam victims to send money too, then your forward to the spammers.
Just had a quick look at Street View and it appears to be a residential road with no commercial premises. Interesting that an ordinary search, so to speak, comes up with info for a children's day nursery at the same address. 89 Frederick Road, Rainham.

Oh, well. Adapt or die as the saying goes.