The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #16
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum
Q.8 is grammatically incorrect.
Don't forget this gem either:

Quote:
3.Can you communicate effective and efficiently?

Glinda, my experience has been that a majority of clerical/administrative jobs on craigslist are now scams. You'd be better off using something like www.indeed.com, which will include the legitimate postings from local newspapers and other smaller sources as well.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #17
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

the link goes to:
http://www.freecreditreport.com/defa...id=homepage136

Which is a legit page as far as I know. I have used the site before.

As you were.

Oh and I wouldn't use craigslist to find a job. My boss uses it, so you know its smarmy.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #18
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Glinda: Here is the scam alert posted on craigslist!

"craigslist SCAM ALERT

SCAM ALERT - affiliate scammers are posting bogus ads promising (nonexistent!) employment, paid research trials, or other compensation, but then notifying repliers that they'll need to jump through a hoop first, directing them to:

* background checking services
* credit checking or reporting sites
* sites where you are instructed to enter your resume or other personal information
* sites where you are asked to sign up for a "free" trial offer
* sites offering training or education
* sites offering a "system" for making money
* survey or focus group sites
* sites designed to deliver malware or misuse your identifying information

all in hopes of earning affiliate marketing commissions or otherwise profiting at the expense of persons seeking employment.

Lots of variations on this scam, but each generally involves dangling (nonexistent!) compensation, and then directing you to a website where you are asked to sign up for something, use your credit card, or input personal information such as your email address."

Glinda- Watch out for these scams. They usually forward you to a website of theirs that is barely functional. We forget how much of our real information goes into resumes and reference sheets. I ask for verification of the company now before I send them my resume. From a marketing perspective- there are companies that verify your information and the last I saw, it was $35.00 per valid lead that could be confirmed.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #19
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

That's complete bullshit. NO reputable company would require a credit check over the internet. It's a scam.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #20
Cloud

a scam and a nice way to get your social and bank account numbers
Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It's a link to Free Credit Report dot com. You know, those assholes singing on TV, incessantly. They say;
Quote:
IMPORTANT INFORMATION

When you order your free report here, you will begin your free trial membership in Triple Advantage(SM) Credit Monitoring. If you don't cancel your membership within the 7-day trial period†, you will be billed $14.95 for each month that you continue your membership.

ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. and Freecreditreport.com are not affiliated with the annual free credit report program. Under a new Federal law, you have the right to receive a free copy of your credit report once every 12 months from each of the three nationwide consumer reporting companies. To request your free annual report under that law, you must go to www.annualcreditreport.com.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #22
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
i can run your credit for you
I bet you can!

But my momma didn't raise no fools (well, there's my brother, but that's another thread), which is why I try to be very careful about things like this.

Oddly enough, it's only in the last month that I've come across any sort of scam as a result of a Craigslist ad (I've been a Craigslist user for years, for buying and selling various things). Of course, given the shaky state of our economy and our terrible unemployment numbers, the scammers have a desperate/unsuspecting audience that will jump through hoops to be hired.

Clodfobble, thanks for the link! I've never heard of it, but will be sure to visit frequently from now on.

Cicero, I like your idea about asking for company verification before sending in my resume - can't be too careful, these days.

Thanks again, everyone!
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote