The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #46
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Were I still in the military and ordered to invade Iraq, I would know it was an unconstitutional order and would refuse even if it meant facing a court marshal or time in jail. I would know I did the right thing and upheld my oath.

Let's not forget the Nazis said they were "only following orders" too and they had a much stronger history and culture for following orders blindly than do Americans.

Saying you were just "following orders" is an attempt to avoid taking responsibility for your own actions. And in the end, regardless of what you're told to do or what orders you have, you alone decide whether or not to do it and therefore you are responsible for your actions.

Let's say you're in the marines and ordered to mow down a bunch of school kids by an insane superior officer. Would you do it? I certainly wouldn't. I would know that order was unlawful and refuse to comply just as I would have refused the unlawful order to invade Iraq.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #47
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

You are right, and with this I agree.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:50 PM   #48
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fireman
Do I think that my high school friend Roscoe , should have died, no. But he beleived in what he was doing was good. We as the military can only know whats being told to us, and you folks back in the states, can only see what the media is putting out.
Despite all that is said politically, constitutionally, and due to direct orders; there remains one unwritten rule that dominates. Protect your buddies. At the grunt level, that remains the most essential objective.

Last edited by tw; 03-11-2004 at 12:10 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote