The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-10-2004, 10:37 AM   #16
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Talking

Thats a nice name compared to most names I have for both of them. Like I said before,Wolf, I am an Indipendent, I agree with alot of things from both Demicrats and GOP. But not Clintonomics.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Fireman: To be brutally honest, I genuinely don't care if those people become unemployed because if they have skills, they will get jobs in the private sector and as you pointed out, those jobs will pay better than what they were getting in the military so they are better off. The role of government isn't to make sure people are employed just for the sake of being employed and charge those who have legitimate jobs to pay for it.

We should not keep a bloated, huge, military, and we should never ever use our military as a show of force to bully everyone else on earth. Whether you like it or not, America has a DEFENSIVE military which means we attack only when attacked. Our military is not here to perform humanitarian aid missions, to train other militaries, to overthrow the leaders of sovereign nations the president happens to dislike, etc.

The founding fathers knew that it was wrong to keep a large military during times of peace and we should heed their warnings.

We would have far fewer enemies to worry about if we weren't pissing everyone else off by sticking our noses where it doesn't belong.

And I've got news for you, countries may attack America, but they will never "suprise" attack us. If an invasion force were to come here such as in "Red Dawn" they'd be blown to bits before they dropped the first paratrooper. If our military did their one and only one job of DEFENDING America rather than being an OFFENSIVE deployment force for the UN, we'd be much safer.

GWB has made America and the rest of the world a more dangerous place by violating the Constitution to START a war of imperialistic aggression against a non-threatening sovereign nation.

Our military shouldn't be any larger than it takes just to defend America (and nobody else) from attack. Not one soldier in Iraq is defending America. Nor are those in Germany, Japan, Italy, or any of the other nations where we have American troops stationed.

America is not the defender of the world, the police of the world, etc. America has no authority to tell any other countries what weapons they may or may not have, nor does the UN for that matter. In fact America has absolutely no authority beyond our own borders.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #18
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

They Didn't Attack Switzerland

by Bill Walker

Not a week goes by now without another prediction of terrorist attack. The head of Homeland Security, the head of the FBI, and even Chancellor Palpatine himself in his unique syntax have all assured us that further destructive attacks are "inevitable". The unknown terrorists with their worldwide networks hate all Americans because of our tolerance of different ethnic groups, our wealth, and our hedonistic ways. So we must brace ourselves for more waves of destruction, possibly involving scuba-diving terrorists using gasoline tanker trucks to set fire to Jewish suburbs while facing Mecca and detonating radioactive dirty bombs. There is no action we can take to avoid our fate.

But hang on a minute. How did the US gain its monopoly position as the only nation deserving of terrorist retribution? What about England, France, Germany, Sweden, Holland, Denmark, Japan, Australia, or... Switzerland? Aren't these nations tolerant, wealthy, and more or less hedonistic? I think that I can demonstrate this, and I will expect future terrorist attacks to be parceled out among all similar countries on a pro rata basis. It is unfair for the US to hog all the glory of our virtues, and disparaging to the moral strength of the potential victims in places such as Switzerland.

Yes, Switzerland. Let's go down the terrorist-rage checklist. First, tolerance: far superior to the US. The people of Switzerland are not only from different ethnic groups, but actually speak five different languages. The national anthem of Switzerland is sung in these five different languages, and no one tries to force Italo-Swiss to start speaking German, French, or the other Swiss dialects.

Second, wealth. The Swiss have a slightly lower but similar per capita income to US citizens, and given the tradition of tax evasion and banking secrecy one might suspect that their actual income is quite comparable. Financial comparisons between nations are tricky anyway given different methods of collecting statistics. If we look at physical measures of well-being such as life expectancy the Swiss are ahead with lifespans for males of 75 and for females of 81, edging out the US figures of 73 and 79. I think that we can safely state that in terms of wealth the Swiss are quite capable of inducing envy in fundamentalist Muslim terrorists.

Third, and most important, hedonism. It is the work of a moment to check out any Swiss web site and view the Swiss women. QED. If any further evidence is required, the Swiss spend much less money and time chasing recreational drug users than the US DEA does. Ignoring any possible benefit to drug users, the taxpayers are much better off; taxpayers being far more numerous, again, QED. Swiss chocolate vs. Hershey's; QED.

So, Switzerland is tolerant, wealthy, and hedonistic. But yet it remains disgracefully terrorist-free. Not only has it been neglected by Al-Quaida and the other CIA-funded "Islamic" terrorist groups, but historically it has also not been attacked by Hitler, Bismarck, the Kaiser, Mussolini, Stalin, or even Bill Clinton's cruise missiles. In fact, Switzerland has not been in a war of any kind since 1815. It has not been in an official foreign war since 1515. This would be astounding, even miraculous, for any nation. But Switzerland borders Germany. And France. And Italy. And Austria. And Liechtenstein. Now Liechtenstein has rarely lashed out in Blitzkrieg in a desperate bid to reign uber alles, but ALL of Switzerland's other neighbors have spent the last millennium invading other countries. But, they didn't attack Switzerland.

Now, you would think that peacekeeping performance of this kind would make Switzerland the main object of study in every political science and civics course worldwide. "WHY Didn't They Attack Switzerland?" should be the title of many a textbook. But in fact, no one studies Switzerland, because the aim of political science is not to keep peace, but to keep power over people. Switzerland is of no interest to politicians, because the features of the Swiss system that keep the peace are the same features that make Swiss politicians unimportant. Do you know the name of the Swiss President now serving out his nonrenewable one-year term? No, you do not. His name doesn't matter, and he doesn't matter to the defense of Switzerland. There is no central location of Swiss defense, no Pentagon or NORAD into which you can crash a 757 or a black-market Kazakh nuclear weapon. The defense of Switzerland is the entire people of Switzerland itself.

The features of the Swiss system for keeping the peace are simple. They mind their own business, and they have very strict gun control. By which they mean that every Swiss male must have a gun, except for those who have to carry a missile launcher also. Females are not subject to universal military training, but if you go to a Swiss rifle range there are always girls blasting away. So the Swiss can muster an official army somewhere around ten percent of their population, but the number of people who would actually start shooting if Switzerland were invaded is quite a bit higher, somewhere close to 100 percent of those able to pick up a gun. Plus, as a final defense, the Swiss have rigged the vaults of their banks for self destruction. Any dictator attacking Switzerland will find the gold in his numbered bank account buried in rubble hundreds of meters under a mountain. It is known that Hitler had a numbered account...

Switzerland has also provided for defense of the lives of its civilian population against nuclear terrorism. Realizing after World War Two that nuclear weapons in the hands of power-mad idiots posed a public health threat, the Swiss started a nationwide shelter-building program in 1960. By 1991, there was enough shelter space in Switzerland to protect everyone in their home or apartment, and also enough at their workplace and school. A Swiss child is generally never more than a few minutes from a fallout shelter with an air filter.

The entire Swiss shelter program was accomplished for somewhere on the order of 35 dollars per year per capita. I believe those are 1990 dollars, but it doesn't matter. The US spends vastly more every year to achieve a military only capable of intervening in non-nuclear-armed Third World nations. We have no defense for our children at all. The combined US armed forces are incapable of shooting down a single ballistic missile, or even intercepting a single low-flying propeller plane. Nor are there any bunkers with filtered air supplies for the inhabitants of our glass cities or crackerbox suburbs. The only civil defense in the US is for the President and the bureaucrats under Iron Mountain. Everyone else is nuclear fodder, except for those provident few (such as the Mormons) who built their own shelters to protect their families.

Switzerland does not send troops to intervene in other nations. Switzerland does not spend billions of dollars yearly to fund dictators around the world, nor did Switzerland donate hundreds of billions of dollars to the Warsaw Pact through bank "loans". Switzerland does not send billions of dollars worth of weaponry every year to the warring tribes in the Middle East. Switzerland has no enemies. Yet the Swiss are armed to the teeth and dug into every hill and under every building.

US policy is the mirror image of the Swiss. The US intervenes everywhere, spies on everyone, supports every faction in every dispute. We have as many enemies as there are disputatious people in the world. Yet we spend more effort on disarming our own airline pilots than on providing shelters for our children against nuclear, chemical, or biological attack. We have vast conventional armies for refighting W.W.II, vast numbers of nuclear weapons for murdering the populations of cities. But no defense for our children.

They didn't attack Switzerland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Walker is a Research Associate at the Shay-Wright lab at UT Southwestern Medical Center.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:02 PM   #19
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Mr.Radar. If you get of your Anarchest High Horse and listen for just one moment while you are in your nice soft cushion shair, maybe you will get a clue. Just becouse you have a degree, and a long education, doesnt mean that you have the right to say that the military is not needed for anything but Stateside Defence. If we cut the military to just strictly state side, the government would have to double on the constent training, and patroles in the US. This would make the US like in the book 1984. The military would run the government, and the police. Then it would be people like you say that the US is a Marxist Government and you would hate that and complain even more thaan you are now. You are, what was in the Novel 1984, an unperson. SO DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!
But that is only my opinion.

Last edited by Fireman; 03-10-2004 at 02:18 PM.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:04 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They didn't attack Switzerland because no one would have given a shit.

Page 4 news.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:05 PM   #21
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Oh, and another thing, this is just my opinion, its people like you,Radar, that cut back our stateside defences agenst nucular attacks.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #22
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Thanks Wolf. I was thinking that.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:26 PM   #23
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Just becouse you have a degree, and a long education, doesnt mean that you have the right to say that the military is not needed for anything but Stateside Defence.
Actually I'd have that right regardless of my education level. And it's the truth. You might want to break out a copy of the Constitution which defines and limits our military as solely for the defense of American soil. (not American's oil).

Quote:
If we cut the military to just strictly state side, the government would have to double on the constent training, and patroles in the US.
No, we wouldn't. We could close every single base outside of America and we'd still have enough people already stationed in America to DEFEND it effectively.

Quote:
The military would run the government, and the police
Enough of your paranoid delusions. Let's stick to reality. In the real world right now America has virtually no defense and the strongest offense on earth. Virtually anyone could sneak into America with a nuke and take out a small city. But rather than defending ourselves, we're out pissing everyone off and making enemies that might want to sneak into America with a nuke.

Quote:
You are, what was in the Novel 1984, an unperson. SO DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!
You are what is known in the reality of 2004 as an idiot. SO DEAL WITH IT!!!

Quote:
Oh, and another thing, this is just my opinion, its people like you,Radar, that cut back our stateside defences agenst nucular attacks
You and your ilk are the reason we were attacked on September 11th in the first place. And WE DON'T HAVE A NUCLEAR DEFENSE. Reagan spent a trillion dollars on "star wars" and never got even a prototype of a missile defense system.

Now if we were to close every military base outside of America and train and use our military for DEFENSE rather than offense (And please lame enough to use the stupid and tired "The best defense is a good offense" bullshit line), America would be much safer. And if we used only a small part of the currently bloated military budget, we might actually be able to build a nuclear missile defense system.

People like you, who support a large and imperialistic military force are the ones who are endangering America, placing a huge financial burden on Americans (who could otherwise create jobs), and ensuring that America is hated throughout the world.

GET A CLUE!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:29 PM   #24
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
They didn't attack Switzerland because no one would have given a shit
The vast wealth of most world leaders is stored in Switzerland and nobody would have cared? That's laughable. Nobody attacks Switzerland because they'd get their asses handed to them and because unlike America, Switzerland has an actual defense against attacks from everything including nukes.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Money or not, Switzerland is not feared as a major world power.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 03-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #26
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Radar.....now lets talk like rational people. You have the belief that "I" am the couse of 9-11.(I ,meaning military people) I lost several freinds in the fire dept. I have been in the firefighting business for quite some time. But I can not, will not, let someone degrade OUR country like you have been doing. My reference to the Novel 1984, was of the essense(sp) of pointing out that there are some that are very Patriotic and is willing to die for there country. I am 3rd generation military. I am not an Imperialist, and according to the Constitution, that you pointed out, I have the right to speak my mind without ridicule. So lets stop the name calling, I am nothing but redneck with a simple mind and opinions. So please just sit back and understand that I am here for my beleifs that people should live a better life, rather than "serve" a man that lets his people starve in the streets.

But that is my opinion
Old 03-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #27
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Radar isn't going to change his position, just in case you were wondering. But he is excellent for honing your own arguments for other venues.

Old 03-10-2004, 02:42 PM   #28
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

Oh, and Radar........DONT EVER TELL ANYONE THAT THEY ARE THE CAUSE OF 9-11-01!!!! YOU WERE NOT THERE TO SEE THE DEVISTATION!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #29
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Radar - I like the American Soil/Americans' Oil, thing, but I'm pretty sure the apostrophe goes after the s in this case.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #30
Fireman
Paramour of Paradigm

wITH EVERY PEICE OF RUBLE REMOVED CAME A TEAR, WITH EVERY BODY FOUND CAME A PRAYER. tO SAY THAT i AM THE CAUSE OF 9-1101, IS A DISCRASE TO ANY MANE THAT SERVES THE COUNTRY "YOU" LIVE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that is out of my system, I can be rational.
Thank you

This is just my opinion