The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 12-28-2003, 08:49 PM   #1
Torrere
a real smartass

why sacrifice?

I was thinking about sacrifice, and how the New Testament abolished sacrifice while the Old Testament required it. (Okay, I confess, I was reading yet another religion thread. Someone was describing about sacrifice as the priests saying: "Absolve yourself of your wrongs! Bring your cow to the temple, and we'll slaughter it for you and clean up afterwards".)

I came upon an idea: perhaps a large part of (animal) sacrifice was bringing meat to the priests. The priests get all of the best food (after all, it was significant and encouraged to bring your best animals to sacrifice). This can be corrupt, so Jesus the Reformer abolished it.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 10:41 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you think they sacrificed kegs?
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

In the modern practice of voodoo, sacrifices are shared among the worshipers, not just kept by the priest/ess.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Now if we could just sacrifice some of the stupids out there, the world would be a better place.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Now if we could just sacrifice some of the stupids out there, the world would be a better place.
That's always been true. The rub comes with, WHO decides WHO gets sacrificed.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
That's always been true. The rub comes with, WHO decides WHO gets sacrificed.
I think we could come up with a decent committee here on the cellar.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I nominate, for the committee, Dave, LUVBUGS, Radar, TW, Quzah.....:p
Old 01-03-2004, 11:25 PM   #8
time4me
Rapscallion

I have generated my own list of "stupids" that I can contribute to the cause. I am so damn tired of dealing with stupid, uneducated people who can't use their own brain to think but have to borrow a brain from someone even stupider than they are. To start off with, I would like to donate to the cause the whole system of public education and start over again with real educators and not the politicians! Oh, how the school district fears me!
Old 01-06-2004, 11:30 PM   #9
Razorfish
Superhero

On topic:
I always been under the belief that sacrifice was a physical way to show dedication and admiration to your chosen god(s). Commonly a lot of cultures used animals and other livestock for sacrifice. This is like saying: "I admire my god so much that I am willing to give up part of my meager food source to him". Let's face it, they didn't exactly have a lot of food back then, generally just enough to live on. Some cultures like the Aztecs and Mayans sacrificed people but thats what they believed their gods demaned from them.

In the Old Testament God did declare animal sacrifice as no longer necessary. I believe that this indicated to the people that God knows your dedicated to him by your daily actions, not by how much of your small food supply you give to him.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:59 AM   #10
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Having participated in an Ifa sacrifice of some chickens and doves, the explanation given to me was that the animal spirit is a messenger from the material world to the spirit world. You tell the animal the message you want sent, it gets its neck wrung, and it carries the message to the other world. (I guess spirits don't accept faxes).

The animals are also used to 'feed' your spiritual protectors.

oh, and we plucked, cooked and ate the sacrifice afterward.

Tasted like chicken

...well, it was chicken.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #11
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by Razorfish

In the Old Testament God did declare animal sacrifice as no longer necessary. I believe that this indicated to the people that God knows your dedicated to him by your daily actions, not by how much of your small food supply you give to him.

I thought it was the New Testament that ended animal sacrifice.

I remember a passage that has the Virgin Mary, like a good Jewish mother of the time, sacrificing some turtledoves in honor of her firstborn son.

Jesus on the cross is supposed to be the ultimate sacrifice that makes all other sacrifice unnessasary.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:33 PM   #12
tikat
Paramour of Paradigm

Maybe some of the non-Christian religions believe that the gods and such really need that sheep. It wouldn't make sense with an omnipotent deity, of course, as It should be able to produce anything It needs without humans.

The people in Taiwan build elaborate paper mansions and cars to burn so that their deceased ancestors will have a nice place to live and something to drive in the spirit world.

It never occurred to me until now that I never saw anybody burning paper representations of gas cans. Perhaps the fuel that gets burned in a running car winds up in the spirit world, and the people with gas guzzling SUVs are beloved by the spirits.
tikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 11:26 PM   #13
Arcturus
Polymath Linguist

Quote:
Originally posted by tikat
Maybe some of the non-Christian religions believe that the gods and such really need that sheep. It wouldn't make sense with an omnipotent deity, of course, as It should be able to produce anything It needs without humans.

The people in Taiwan build elaborate paper mansions and cars to burn so that their deceased ancestors will have a nice place to live and something to drive in the spirit world.

It never occurred to me until now that I never saw anybody burning paper representations of gas cans. Perhaps the fuel that gets burned in a running car winds up in the spirit world, and the people with gas guzzling SUVs are beloved by the spirits.
I know that's why the Aztecs or Mayans (i can can never get them right) sacrificed their enermies, captured in war. Without their blood, the gods would die and the universe would come crashing down.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:57 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by tikat

I thought the whole idea was not that God needed the sheep, but that the sacrificer loved God enough to deprive himself to honor God. To put God above personal wants and needs.
I'm not promoting this practice, just trying to understand the reasoning. Oh wait...religion...reasoning.....nevermind.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:27 PM   #15
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
Do you think they sacrificed kegs?
I am sacrificing a 12oz bottle now....

Now sing along with me...

Drinkin' beer for Jesus...
Drinkin' beer for Jesus..

(Forgive me for I have sinned)