The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Another new euphemism

I was musing aloud the other day that alcohol free beer should have another name. If'n you weren't expecting it to taste like beer some brands would actually taste OK. And the name has to be appealing, so that the designated driver enjoys placing their order for a drink. A friend, listening to me, piped up "You mean like A Big Dick?". Exactly.
Who doesn't want to stride into a bar and confidently say "mine's a Big Dick!"?
It works for all genders, all situations. Try ordering a Big Dick in this thread tonight and you'll see what I mean!

Sent by thought transference
Old 10-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

So, you're going with Big Dick?

We don't even get to come up with names?

What if you want a double? I'd like a double big dick?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
limegreenc
shed door curio

no...you want an African big dick
Old 10-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

No I don't!

Near Beer is no good? Failed Ale maybe? Sassparilla? O'Doules? Malk?

Anyway, do you actually drink it? I don't know anyone else who does. If I am the DD, I would be drinking Coke or water or coffee or tea, I reckon. How is it? Are there different kinds of tastes, like real beer? Is there a bitter hippy kind, and a smooth lager kind?
Old 10-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Brand naming. I likey.
I'd suggest Courage if'n if hadn't already been taken, because it takes courage to order a non-alcoholic drink of everyone else is drinking.

How about Punnish? That spelling?
Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The fact that no one drinks non-alcoholic beer just confirms my belief that everyone secretly knows beer tastes like ass, and they only drink it for the buzz and the social acceptance. You get neither with the fake beers, so no one drinks them, even though the flavor can't be that hard to mock up.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I drink fake beer. And like it.
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
glatt

Beer sometimes tastes really good. Depends on my mood. One thing though, this fad of ordering pale ales makes no sense at all. I think people are just able to remember that pale ale is a kind of beer, so they order it. It can't be because they like the taste. Pale ales are horrible. Lagers are where it's at. Even a pilsner is better than a pale ale.

Really though, I'm happiest with a red wine.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

glatt, you get used to that bitterness, and it becomes rather refreshing. I used to hate the citrus taste of an IPA, but now, I actually prefer them.

I used to like sweet beers, like Tripel Ales and Lagers.... but now... I really like the HOPS. You have to train your tongue. there are beers that bridge the gap....like....

If you have some extra $$, try Duvel. it's $13 for a 4 pack... but it is the champagne of beers. dry and slightly fruity... crisp.... thin and quenchy.... it's really really good.

BEER ADVOCATE'S OPINION

Quote:
Todd

Colorado

4.85/5 rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Presentation: 33cl custom shorty with a bulbed neck. Best before date: 03/2003. Serve chilled.

Appearance: Cloudy (from escaped yeast) and pale. A grande creamy, chunk head adorns the top and sticks with great stay. The colour and head are perfection incarnate.

Smell: Delicate spice, pepper and clean malt sweetness.

Taste: Smooth and extremely creamy on the palate. A lively carbonation creates a light mouthfeel and crispness. Upfront flavours are bitter and sweet, with a lean on the sweet; distinct fruity malt esters, bold spiciness and rind-like twang that mellows and balances. Finishes slightly grain/dry with some residual spice and dextrin notes.

Notes: Deceivingly seductive and powerful. It lurs you with mesmerizing eye candy, then as the absolute refresher, then whacks the shite out of you with an 8.5% abv club. It's not called the "Devil" for nothing.

One of the best beers on the face of the Earth. Bow down to this god of beers.

Serving type: bottle

12-06-2000 21:21:53 | More by Todd
Quote:
Jason

Massachusetts

4.68/5 rDev +9.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

330 ml stubby brown bottle with a best before date of 09 2006. Quick tips on how to pour the beer as well as “Bottle Conditioned” on the label.

Appearance: A perfect amount of foamy head from a trained pour into the appropriate Duvel glass, the lace clings to the glass in patchy clumps. The clarity is great as the pouring went well and the yeast stayed in the glass. Very pale in colour, some would confuse this with a lager as far as the light golden hue.

Smell: Hints of apple skin (juicy fruit), clean alcohol and a slight yeast bite in the aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Clean pale malt flavour throughout. Three big flashes of yeast, hop bitterness and alcohol hit the palate. Big cleansing crispness makes you want an other sip. A tad juicy in the middle, with a big warming alcohol landing middle to end. Mild medicinal phenols peak in the middle and nearly vanish as the alcohol takes over.

Notes: A top shelf brew, this one does it for me and then some. Pretty much sex in a bottle and the devil told me to drink it. Duvel is close to dry champagne but so much more. Between the bitterness and the sheer crispness, this beer is what I expect from the Belgian strong pale ale style.

Serving type: bottle

12-09-2003 03:59:57 | More by Jason

Last edited by lumberjim; 10-12-2013 at 09:05 AM.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #10
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

If you ordered " Duvel " in a Montana bar, you'd likely get Moose Drool.
Attached Images

Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegreenc View Post
no...you want an African big dick
No, no, no...You want to ask for A Big Black Dick.

Quote:
Barfly: I'd like A Big Black Dick, please.
Bartender: Yeah, well, who wouldn't?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

The Firkin chain of pubs used to stock an amusingly named range of beer.
Firkin Dogbolter being one of one of the tamer ones.

Occasionally a punter would already have suveyed what we had on the pumps but would try to embarrass us by asking for one of the fruitier names that they knew perfectly well we wouldn't have - being a freehouse.

I can't remember any of the others, but I do remember my response to that one. "No, but I do have hia cock in a jar." Nonsensical but immediate and on the spot.
And made it clear to said customer that the majority of barmaids had heard the lot.

I think that's why Ben mostly employed student nurses.
Funny how the ones with big tits seemed to get the most shifts though.

Last edited by Sundae; 10-12-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I remember seeing a newspaper headline about the latest complaint from the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA): It simply said: 'The Gripes of Froth'.

Barmaid! A pint of Stench & Dredge's Old Peculier, if you please.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
monster
I hear them call the tide

0Beach bang. 'Cause it's fucking close to water.

I drink low alcohol beer. It's fine. Now the regular stuff tastes funny. It's just what you get used to. Why do I drink it? So I can drink more I drink at home, though, so no DD required. But beest is on kid taxi duty Tonight is a midnight pick-up for the freshman. I've still had little enough to drive, but by midnight (a) I'll be asleep and (b) I won't be driving any more. I'm too knackered anyway. I did the early morning shift and to the party.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
I remember seeing a newspaper headline about the latest complaint from the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA): It simply said: 'The Gripes of Froth'.

Barmaid! A pint of Stench & Dredge's Old Peculier, if you please.

Hey! I've been there, the Old Pequliar. It's pretty nice, though I don't remember them having Stench & Dredge's on tap. I'll make a note for next time.