The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-04-2004, 12:07 PM   #31
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

What we need is more graphic violence and other antisocial acts portrayed on TV so that we can turn our kids into good little desensitized killing machines. Sex distracts them from their true divine purpose...killing in the name of God and Country (tm).
Old 02-04-2004, 12:42 PM   #32
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
WHO FUCKING CARES?

You'd think nobody ever saw an adult human female breast before. I mean it's not like they were engaged in a sex act. Yet people talk about this like it's the end of Western Civilization as we know it.
Most men. Well maybe they don't care deeply about this particular breast. But the female breast will be interesting as long as there are men around to appreciate them.

Last edited by dar512; 02-04-2004 at 05:34 PM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 04:22 PM   #33
tikat
Paramour of Paradigm

Yeah, but think of the safety issues. She might have put out that guy's eye.

Sure, nudity's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye.
tikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 06:13 PM   #34
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

An obviously staged event. I doubt Janet wears pointy sun-shaped nipple guards on an every day basis.

Justin and Janet dated for awhile, and NEITHER of them are washed up (Although I wish Justin was.)

If you want to teach your children morality, turn the tv off and read to them. Any parent who **depends** on the tv to teach their child anything isn't real bright themselves.

And people who are "offended" by this type of trash on the tv need to loosen up a little bit. It's a freakin breast. If you really think your kids don't know that womens have boobs (whatever your family calls them) and mens (generally) don't, then you need a reality check.

OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #35
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And the beat goes on.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:04 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 10:47 PM   #36
Elspode

Holy shit...is that the Diceman?!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, Rob Schnider (sp).
Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 AM   #38
wolf
lobber of scimitars

He did that schtick on Leno earlier this week.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:55 PM   #39
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

from bad to worse...

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
WHO FUCKING CARES?

You'd think nobody ever saw an adult human female breast before. I mean it's not like they were engaged in a sex act. Yet people talk about this like it's the end of Western Civilization as we know it.

OK. Maybe some of those uptight dudes in Congress haven't seen one. My mistake.

Funny...I didn't see so much concern over Eminem's blatent and deliberate using of violence to sell his records...well hot damn, he even got awards for it!!!!!! Now he's supposed to be the best thing since the discovery of fire. Misogyny and gay bashing rules now!!!!..*tsk*

And I have a feeling that other nations are just laughing their asses off at the US right about now..."Silly Americans...our children see breasts everyday, and they're just fine!"

Anyway, the latest fallout from ETOnline:
http://et.tv.yahoo.com/newslink/index.html#l2

MTV LOSES GIG
February 5, 2004

An Orange County, CA, high school has reportedly pulled out of a deal they had with MTV to film a reality show there. Parents angry over JANET JACKSON's breast-baring during the Super Bowl halftime show prompted the Laguna Beach Unified School District board to forbid MTV from filming students on school grounds. The show would have given the district as much as $40,000, plus royalties, for college scholarships.

Justin Breaks His Silence
February 4, 2004

JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE told KCBS TV he wanted to get something off his chest about the Super Bowl halftime controversy --and did he ever. Reporter MARK COOGAN caught up with Timberlake as he was leaving the rehearsals for this Sunday's upcoming Grammy® Awards and he launched into a heartfelt speech, saying, "I do understand how unfortunate this is. I do understand that there were a lot of people that were completely offended by what happened, including my family." Timberlake reveals he had been on tour when the request for him to do the Super Bowl came. He says he initially turned down the gig, but accepted when he got a personal call from JANET JACKSON. Because he was busy in Spain, Timberlake says he couldn't attend most of the halftime rehearsals. He had one day's notice of Janet's plan to do a "costume reveal" and says he was under the impression that the move would only expose a red bustier. "When what happened happened," says Justin, "I was shocked and appalled. I was completely embarrassed." As for CBS' decision to add a video delay to the Grammys, Justin says, "It's a great idea."

Janet Out of the Grammys
February 4, 2004

ET is breaking news that JANET JACKSON will not be attending this Sunday's Grammy® Awards after all. Sources tell ET that Miss Jackson was scheduled to present the tribute to LUTHER VANDROSS, but since Luther is unable to attend the event due to his health, Jackson has been told her services are no longer needed. Vandross' publicist tells ET he was unaware that Jackson was going to have any part in introducing the homage to the R&B singer. Vandross is nominated for five awards for his album Dance With My Father, but suffered a severe stroke in April and is still in a wheelchair. Jackson's withdrawal comes after an emotional videotaped apology released Wednesday in which she admitted that she alone decided to do the ill-fated reveal at last Sunday's Super Bowl halftime. So far, Jackson's representatives have had no comment. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE, who was onstage with Jackson during the performance, is currently still scheduled to perform at the 46th annual Grammy Awards, airing on CBS.

NFL's Pro-Bowl Singing a Different Tune
February 4, 2004

Repercussions from JANET JACKSON's "wardrobe malfunction" and other elements of the Super Bowl show are being felt across the Pacific. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE's *NSYNC bandmate JC CHASEZ's halftime performance at Sunday's Pro-Bowl in Honolulu has been cancelled. In response, Chasez released the following statement: "No one could be more disappointed than I that the NFL has cancelled my halftime performance at the Pro Bowl this coming Sunday. I've told the NFL I understand the pressure that they are under since the Super Bowl." Instead, fans watching the game, which airs live on ESPN, will get to see Chasez sing the National Anthem, and will then be treated to a halftime spectacle of 1,000 dancers, 200 hula girls (presumably with tops on), drummers, two famous Hawaiian singers and the sounds of conch shells. A spokesperson says the show will celebrate the 25 years of the NFL Pro-Bowl in Hawaii. The NFL commissioner says the move is the first example of a policy change. Meanwhile, next week, the Federal Communications Commission is expected to call all parties to Washington D.C. for hearings on the halftime incident. CBS is also continuing its own internal investigation. A source tells ET the network has already reviewed all the tapes shot during Janet and Justin's rehearsals.

Sometimes, this is the saddest nation...

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"

Last edited by ladysycamore; 02-05-2004 at 05:59 PM.
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:49 PM   #40
Elspode

Summary of Justin's statement: "It wasn't my fault. I wasn't even there. I just did what I was told."

Smart boy, trying to distance himself from the debacle.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:09 AM   #41
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode
Summary of Justin's statement: "It wasn't my fault. I wasn't even there. I just did what I was told."

Smart boy, trying to distance himself from the debacle.
Achtung! When you put it that way, it sound eerily familiar.

What irks me is that modern "apologies" never seem to include any acceptance of responsibility by the miscreant. People apologize willy-nilly for the results of their actions, but not for their role in making the actions happen.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:11 AM   #42
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

If Justin had said "Yeah, I meant to do that. Nice one, wasn't it?", I'd at least give him some cool points for candor.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:39 AM   #43
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

You know, I have been wondering if there's been any increase in the sales of nipple jewelry as a result of this whole fiasco.

As for that high school... what idiots. Have these people ever SEEN an MTV reality show? I mean come on. Talk about shutting the barn after the horses have left.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #44
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Many talk shows have been displaying and explaining nipple shields.

I was momentarily fearful that Star Jones on The View was going to put hers on ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #45
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf

I was momentarily fearful that Star Jones on The View was going to put hers on ...
Ahhh, the things that I miss locked away here in my TV-less office all day.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote