The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #91
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"You stop posting."

You first.

-----

So, no peace between us?

Okay.

I tried.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #92
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

It had no chance henry. Tw is like a former hall monitor who made it his life's calling. Eventually he turns on everyone, even those who agree with him. It's in the nature of his disorder. Tw has seventy-THREE virgins waiting for him ya know. He's just fodder for entertainment purposes only.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #93
henry quirk

"It had no chance henry."

Probably not.

#

"hall monitor"

He's a fascist.

#

"He's just fodder for entertainment purposes"

I find him sad, not fun.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #94
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

When one can turn a negative into a positive, bad situations don't get one down.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #95
henry quirk

Oh, it's no skin offa my nose if tw doesn't wanna play nice.

I do war easy (but it's not fun).

In other words: he's not a target for ridicule, he's just a target.

Still: I'm gonna navigate 'round him as I can, so -- when I do war -- it'll be clear he threw the first punch.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #96
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

5G

Quote:
Consumer advocates worry that the rush to 5G is undermining public oversight of the wireless industry. For example, the FCC gutted its net neutrality protections in 2017, dubiously arguing that fewer regulations would lead to more investment in 5G and other broadband infrastructure. In 2018, it voted to override state and local regulations governing the placement of wireless equipment in the name of helping carriers build 5G networks faster. Meanwhile, T-Mobile and Sprint are pushing regulators to approve the merger between the two companies by arguing that they would be able to deploy 5G more quickly and efficiently together.
Less oversight and fewer carriers could translate into higher prices and less availability for 5G. Harold Feld, vice president of the consumer group Public Knowledge warns that without oversight, carriers might opt not to build 5G networks in low income or rural areas that could prove less profitable.
link

The carriers/app builders/builders are crying to the government that China and Korea are way ahead of us building a 5G network and If the government doesn't clear the obstacles, like killing net neutrality, we'll have to use Chinese phones on a Chinese platform.

So we'd have to use Chinese phones... and what are we using now?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #97
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The carriers/app builders/builders are crying to the government that China and Korea are way ahead of us building a 5G network and If the government doesn't clear the obstacles, like killing net neutrality, we'll have to use Chinese phones on a Chinese platform.
And Saddam had WMDs.

People who are way ahead or behind are the people who manufacturer 5G hardware. Any surrendering of a market happened 4 years ago when standards were being finalized and the manufacturers in each country were developing hardware to conform to those standards.

Fear always works on the many who do not first learn how this stuff works.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #98
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Got an email tonight.
"It’s Fios® Customer Appreciation Month. And to thank you for your loyalty, your internet has been upgraded to ultrafast Fios 100/100M—at no additional cost. With this upgrade, you can now stream and upload faster than before, and connect more devices at the same time.
When my monthly report came from Sam Knows the performance seemed to be as promised.

Name:  Sam1.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  50.8 KB

It looks like they track and chart the performance of major video purveyors buy since I don't use them there's no data.

Name:  sam2.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  43.8 KB

Yesterday I got another email.

Name:  sam3.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  52.1 KB
I don't know if it was a, we upgraded you during the hectic holiday season so we're sending this in case you didn't notice.
Or it could be a, we upgraded your speed so get out there and use it for all these addicting pursuits that will make you even more dependant on us.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #99
Griff
still says videotape

Luxury. We still carry data in buckets from the well.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #100
glatt

We paid for the FIOS upgrade when we renewed our contract. I didn't notice a difference when i ran speed tests from my laptop and phone over wifi.

So I was about to bitch to Verizon, and got on the PC upstairs that is wired to the network, and it had the new higher speed.

So I realized my wifi connection was fooked. I switched to the other channel and got almost the advertised speed on my phone and laptop.

It's one of those chores that I'm not motivated to do, tinker with the wifi to get the speed we are paying for. What we have is fast enough.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #101
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, when my two years was up on my last contract they jumped it $10. I figured it was a prod to get me to sign up for another 24 months in exchange for dropping the increase. I went round and round with several of them for three weeks about the $35 in miscellaneous taxes and fees, especially the "local sports" fee of now $8.50 a month. What local sports, where the fuck is this money going? Why am I paying your gross receipts tax for you.

So I finally dropped a bunch of stuff and dropped the bill by $55 a month. That's why the speed increase surprised me. I would guess they found out they had the capability and it makes good ad copy for attracting people getting into streaming services.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #102
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Luxury. We still carry data in buckets from the well.
Mine comes in on a truck.

Packed in straw.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #103
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
We still carry data in buckets from the well.
Is that The Don's wall? Do you mean 5 billion bitcoins in buckets?

Never mind. The Don now says we will be discussing this for months or years.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #104
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Net neutrality update:

One week away from 11 months since the rules dropped and nothing has happened.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:30 PM   #105
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That has become apparent, who knows what evil plots are being woven behind closed doors.