The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

'African Americans For Obama'

Quote:
In the latest push to energize and engage black voters, President Barack Obama's reelection campaign
this morning launched African Americans for Obama, with a video introduction from the president himself.

"This month we are announcing the 2012 launch of African Americans for Obama," the president announced
in the video provided to The Huffington Post by the campaign.

Over the past few months, the campaign and the White House have made a stronger push to reconnect
with the black community, after a long summer and fall during which critics lambasted the president for not doing enough
to mend the wealth gap between blacks and whites or end the double-digit unemployment rates for African Americans.
Link
Are you freakin kidding me? Maybe its just me, but I think this is BS.
Can you imagine "White Americans for Romney" or "Gringos for Gingrich"
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
classicman

Oh boy . . .
Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Given the current phenomenon of white men claiming to be an oppressed minority because they don't have as much of an advantage anymore, I can imagine it easily.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Like those poor beleagured Christians unable to say "Merry Christmas" any more.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
dmg1969
I got nothing

It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the knowledge that quite a few of those who voted for him the first time did so for no other reason than that he was black. And spare me the "well you voted against him because he was black" rhetoric. I voted against him because of his policies.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

So you know ('for the knowledge') that black people who voted for Obama did so ('for NO OTHER REASON than') because he was black, but you know that YOU voted against him not because of race but because of politics.

Care to cite the stats of all the people who voted for him because he was black, solely because he was black, and not anything to do with his politics?

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Still, at least it means he'll get in again.
Because he's still black, right?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
infinite monkey

If those damn lazy blacks remember to get off their asses and vote!
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Is it watermelon season?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
glatt

I think Obama excited people who ordinarily don't vote. And this was especially true in the black community.

It's pretty well established that Republicans are in the minority, but they vote consistently. Democrats are in the majority, but they are just as likely to stay home as to vote. That's why Republics are always opposed to any effort to get out the vote. Because those efforts overwhelmingly support the Democrats.

Whenever the weather is bad on election day, Republicans do better. When it's sunny and turnout is high, Democrats do well.

So yeah, there are a lot of people who voted for Obama because he is black. That excited them, and they voted, and they were Democrats.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I can't speak for DMG, but there are a lot of white folks who voted against Obama solely because he is black, and want him out of office solely because he is black.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
dmg1969
I got nothing

i.m. I cannot cite any specific stats because I highly doubt that anyone would admit it. Well, forgive me, someone did. Here's a recent example. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hes-black.html

Although he is one example, I would imagine that there are many others who felt likewise. What is many? More than 10 and fewer than a million? I don't know, but you cannot deny that a certain percentage of blacks who voted for Obama did so based on race. And what I said was "quite a few" not all as insinuated by you.

I think Glatt is probably correct about Obama exciting people who would not normally vote. However, one cannot simply ask the question of whether those same people would have felt compelled to vote for Obama if he was white.

I appreciated Glatt's reply because it didn't immediately paint me as a racist for asking a question like others (watermelon, lazy blacks?) Come on folks...not everyone who doesn't like Obama is a racist.

And Spex, you are right. 100%. There are those who did NOT vote for Obama because he was black. I don't have stats for that either, but I do not argue it in the least. And I have as big a problem with someone NOT voting for him based on his race as I do with someone VOTING for him based on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

DMG, the Hate Mail is not a viable source on anything.
And no-one was accusing you of being racist. Just asking how you were so confident that other people voted due to skin colour, when you were adamant that you didn't.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #14
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
So you know ('for the knowledge') that black people who voted for Obama did so ('for NO OTHER REASON than') because he was black.

Care to cite the stats of all the people who voted for him because he was black, solely because he was black, and not anything to do with his politics?
Snark begets snark ...
Quote:
When Ebony asked actor Samuel L. Jackson where he stood, his answer raised some eyebrows. Obama's "message didn't mean sh*t to me," Jackson said, according to the New York Post. "I just hoped he would do some of what he said he was gonna do." Implying that Obama has not yet been able to behave like a "scary" "n*gga," Jackson said he hopes Obama will be more "scary" in his second term, "cuz he ain't gotta worry about getting re-elected." "I voted for Barack because he was black," Jackson said. "Cuz that’s why other folks vote for other people — because they look like them."

ETA - Changed link - this sword cuts both ways.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
infinite monkey

Snark? Fuck you and your snark.

I posed a legitimate question.
And, what Sundae said.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 02-27-2012 at 01:36 PM.