The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Low Carbs

Ali and I are doing Atkins right now!

This thread is for anyone who wants to help with low carb recipes, etc.

It's also for support as Ali and I try to lose some weight that is not doing either of us any good.

For breakfast today:

4 Ounce-weights chorizo sausage, crumbled
4 Ounce-weights ground beef chuck
1/2 Cup diced onion
1/4 Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
3 large eggs, beaten
2 medium red bell peppers

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2.Cook chorizo and beef, stirring to break up lumps, until browned. Drain excess fat.
3.Place meat mixture in mixing bowl and combine with the onion, cheese and eggs.
4.Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and cut away ribs.
5.Fill each pepper with one-quarter of the meat mixture. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 25–30 minutes and serve hot.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Hey, great thread! lol

That recipe is a lot like the one Dazza cooked for me last night except he used bacon instead of chorizo and beef, and mushrooms instead of bell peppers.

I have to say, it was delicious.

This is what I had for lunch today.

Name:  IMAG0297 (383x640).jpg
Views: 329
Size:  168.8 KB

It's a plate of rocket, with 4 slices of short cut bacon (that's the round end with less fat than the tail pieces) 2 eggs, 4 asparagus shoots, 1 large field mushroom and a small amount of hollandaise sauce over the top.

It was good.

For breaky I had two poached eggs.

For dinner I had san choy bou which is just spicy pork mince rolled up in lettuce leaves. Yummy!

Today i did my usual home stuff with the kids and so on, and i did a 40 minute session in the gym.

for my first week, I lost 3kg (around 6lb). I'm hoping to do the same again for this week, which incidentally started for me today.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

In the spirit of honesty, I thought I'd share with you all, the picture of me that made me cry, and which led to me making this change in my life.

Name:  fat trish.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  58.8 KB

That's me on the left in the grey shirt.

I have called this file, 'fat trish'.

I am turning 40 this year. I'd really like to see 50.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

First let me say that the rocket/bacon dish looks delicious and I'm going to give it a try.

Ali, I struggle with those feelings, too.

I was a chubby kid (teased a lot b/c I grew up in the Summer Of Olga Korbut and every girl in the neighborhood was flipping and twirling and spinning in the air while I remained very, very earthbound and un-athletic)

I grew tall and willowy and stayed that way till baby #1. I gained 90 lbs. but it came off fairly easily as I was in my mid-20's. Lost 90 lbs and then some. Right away, I got pregnant again. The weight came off more slowly - it was stubborn.

Then the divorce number two sent me into a decades long tumble down the rabbit hole. I got worse and worse in every way.

Working third shift, single motherhood, alll the excuses.

Then cancer, chemo, prednisone and menopause!!

ack!

I'm bigger than ever but I AM GOING TO CHANGE IT NOW.

I want to feel better b/c, honestly, I've tried to die via inertia and it's just not working.

We're getting better.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Not to be a wet blanket. But are you guys doing this under medical / nutritionist guidance?

Total diet change can be dangerous if not done carefully. As can too fast a weight loss. Atkins, like most extreme diets has its share of unfortunate victims. Not suggesting in any way that you don't do it, but just be careful with it. And Bri, possibly worth checking with your doc as well.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Dana - I did ask my doc (he's been with me thru everything including knowing I am an addict/alcoholic) and he said that he recommended Atkins esp. for people like me.

I have metabolic syndrome/insulin resistance (high blood pressure, hi triglycerides, apple body shape, low HDL, etc.) and that is why he said it would be good for me.

—James Barrie

Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
DanaC

Excellent

Just wanted to sound a possible caution. I had a friend who became very ill through following a diet. But she did it with no medical advice and had underlying health problems.

Sounds like you have a handle on it.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

thanks

here is a paragraph from an interesting article:

Should you make sure you eat something from all the food groups? That's what many nutritionists are recommending. But why? Who says? Some of those food groups are invented! Go into the wilderness and find me some bread or pasta. Humans invented those as foods, put them on the food pyramid, and then declared you have to eat that stuff to have a balanced diet. It's crazy. For millions of years of our evolution, those foods didn't exist. And now they are necessary?

—James Barrie

Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
DanaC

Those foodstuffs may not be necessary or natural. But the things they provide, such as heavy starches are. The big question really is one of proportion and balance.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

How about pine trees, are they on Atkins? Because, you know, many parts are edible. [/euell gibbons]
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Piiine cones!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #12
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Pre-sliced pepperoni = atkins chips! Turkey pepperoni slices are better for you.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hey Trish, I know you hate the photo of you, but I have to say it made me smile to see Mav wearing his hat!

Many of the recipes on my site are no-carb, by the way. The last one I posted was actually very similar to Bri's breakfast recipe, minus the cheese. And I swear to God, the next one I have in the pipeline is an Eggs Benedict recipe, already took the pictures for it and everything! Maybe now I'll post the teriyaki chicken and asparagus recipe first, so I have something new to offer for this thread.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #14
DanaC

When I was on one of my many ridiculous diets growing up, mum made a brilliant ersatz-lasagna, with a few broken up cabbage leaves instead of layers of pasta. Just the tiniest bit of a cheese sauce.

Was bloody lovely!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

No recipe, but I'm told that pork rinds are a good no-carb snack.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote