The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 10-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #2581
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, I should know better by now than to buy a book without listening to the voice sample. I know Audible takes returns, I just hate to be that person.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #2582
busterb
NSABFD

Death Of Kings. By Bernard Cornwell
Old 10-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #2583
monster
I hear them call the tide

Just finished King Of The Mild Frontier (an ill-advised autobiography) by Chris Crutcher. Very enjoyable, lends even more authenticity to his books (teen coming-of-age sports fiction, boy-oriented). And the guy is a hero. He has a swimming-based book called Stotan. I called my boy Stotan on facebook because of his crazy practice schedule in the summer and dropped CC an email about it -he send my boy a signed book. (Whale Talk -the first of his I read, highly recommended)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #2584
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...s_of_Ambiguity

Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliott Perlman.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #2585
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Been on a manga kick ... Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Doubt (rabbit doubt), Judge, couple of less memorable ones. Currently reading Mushishi and a Charles Stross novel, Accelerando.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #2586
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Turns out it wasn't Doctor Sleep which induced my narcolepsy.
Filth, Irvine Welsh had the same effect. I took it to Luton for my hospital appointment and woke up in Ivinghoe, terrified I'd missed my stop (which we wouldn't arrive at for 45 minutes)

Thought I'd read it - I've been a Welsh fan since Trainspotting (the book - though I adored Danny Boyle's take on it.)
But despite some complex plot machinations I was bound to forget anyway, I did not remember any of the big reveals either, so I guess not. My payday treat next week is going to see the fillum. Dr R laughed at that. By all acounts it is absolutely Filthy. But then I've spoken to peepes who weren't even able to finish the book.

On The Sacred Book of the Werewolf by Victor Pelevin. I'm reading it in translation of course - only one person on this board fluent in Russian that I know.

It's supposed to be multi-layered and allegorical. I think I'll have to reread. Am far too fascinated by the life of a Taoist 2000 year old fox working as a prostitute to bother with a subtext right now, although there is nothing graphic. 'Spect I'm taking in more than I realise anywhay.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #2587
limegreenc
shed door curio

The Bellman and Black by Diane Setterfield. I'll let you know...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #2588
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

None of the stupid cinemas round here are showing the Filth on or after stupid payday.
How stupid. So I have to wait for it to come out on DVD as even the cins in London (where I think I am going to have my hair done) don't like to give up the information of what they are showing next week (and a cinema week begins on a Thursday, how convenient). But how stupid.

It was still in the Top Five (Number Three I think) in the charts last week, but how can it do anything to make money now everyone has read the reviews and seen the trailers and just can't see it?!

And.... relax. And talk about books, baby.

Kept leaving Werefox book in the spare room, which Mum colonises every night, so am reading instead The Devil's Mask by Christopher Walking. Super so far, really drawing me in. A little bit Gatiss I feel, but without the outre gags and sly references. A Proper book, albeit still A Bit of Fluff. May be the period it's set in.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #2589
infinite monkey

Someone by Alice McDermott

Who Asked You by Terry McMillan
Old 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #2590
infinite monkey

2013 Step-by-Step Medical Coding.

It's freaking awesomely interesting. Really. Totally engrossing.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #2591
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
That's what we need, water on the back of the neck and the code. Now, supposing I play a little guessing game with you...
Old 11-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #2592
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

"Slocum & The Red River Renegades" by Jake Logan

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #2593
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Just finished Wool, now reading Dust.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #2594
busterb
NSABFD

Just one evil act. By Elizabeth George.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #2595
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I'm up to book seven of Mark Tufo's Zombie Fallout series, Got them on audio having heard a sample and loved the narrator's style.

It's brilliant. Really fun ride. Not like any other zombie story I've come across. What's intriguing is that the main character, Mike Talbot, who is something of an every man character, is the same lead in all his books. We meet him as a teenager in the Indian Hill series, then as the lead in Zombie Fallout and later on we meet him again as an immortal in Lycan Fallout. They're sort of the same guy, but not a continuous story as such. Like the same guy has led several different lives.

I haven't read the other series, but I will do!

He's an indy writer, initially self publishing and then with a small publishing house. So, every so often there is a bit that could be edited. But there's a real joy and verve to his writing that makes the whole thing a fun ride.

Dark, funny, and very human.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books