The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-21-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Vegans are literally stupid

Provocative enough thread title for you?

Children 'harmed' by vegan diets

Quote:
The changes seen in the children given the meat, and to a lesser extent the milk or oil, were dramatic.

These children grew more and performed better on problem-solving and intelligence tests than any of the other children at the end of the two years.

They also became more active, talkative and playful at school.
Eat what you like, but leave your kid out of it.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I used the title, "Vegans are 'tards: A Self-fulfilling Paradigm" elsewhere.

Like we needed a study...
Old 02-21-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

But is
Quote:
The 544 children studied had been raised on diets chiefly consisting of starchy, low-nutrition corn and bean staples lacking these micronutrients.
the typical diet of a vegan? Ever been to a health food store? Or a produce department for that matter....
Old 02-21-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
garnet

Hmmm, it must be "Shit on Garnet Day" again.

Disappointing, UT, that you would put any faith in a "study" that was partially funded by the lobbying arm of the USDA. The cattle ranchers and the meat and milk industries have the USDA bought and paid for.

But that's OK, guys, I'm not insulted. I've been a vegan for 3 years, a vegetarian for about 12. I'm not "retarded" as TS so idiotically put it; in fact I think I'm pretty darn intelligent. And I'm in perfect health with perfect blood pressure and low cholesterol. I'm not overweight, and I think I look pretty good too.

So go scarf some burgers and chug your milk, boys--I'll stick with the vegan thing. It's working out just fine for me.

Last edited by garnet; 02-21-2005 at 05:57 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Hmmm, it must be "Shit on Garnet Day" again.
There you go taking it personally.
It's a legitimate post on a serious topic with a link to a current article.
I'm not saying the article is right or wrong, just that it is worth discussing and not aimed at any one member. We have a few vegans around, you know.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
There you go taking it personally.
It's a legitimate post on a serious topic with a link to a current article.
I'm not saying the article is right or wrong, just that it is worth discussing and not aimed at any one member. We have a few vegans around, you know.
I take it personally because of TS's comment above. It's a blanket statement that ALL vegans are stupid, and UT is basically saying the same thing with the title he chose to use.

I don't like being called stupid by people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

And who are these other vegan cellarites? I can't think of one.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

sorry, it's the naturally aggressive tendencies I have from devouring flesh every day.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
sorry, it's the naturally aggressive tendencies I have from devouring flesh every day.
Good for you.

Enjoy your flesh, have your quadruple bypass, and leave me out of it.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

It seems to me that the logic of the study is:

- These African children who do not eat meat are malnourished.
- If you feed them a token amount of meat regularly, they perform better in school compared to the ones who don't. Milk or oil works, too, but not as well.

From which you can draw the conclusions that "their diet is not good" and "adding stuff to it helps." But I get lost when they decide that the only way to have a good diet is with meat. The case would be a good big stronger if any time had been devoted to comparing reasonable alternatives to meat (oil and milk are mentioned, yeah; but quantities and types aren't, and aside from all the fun "omega-3 this" and "polyunsaturated fat that" stuff, you're certainly going to get more out of milk or meat than a dollop of straight oil.)

garnet: I don't consider myself a vegan, but I've taken to spending some time around a few of them, and cooking for them on occasion. After I move next month, I plan on making feta and milk chocolate the only overtly non-vegan food items in my life.

Last edited by Skunks; 02-21-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet
Enjoy your flesh, have your quadruple bypass, and leave me out of it.
Silly, I don't eat human flesh!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:48 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

HA!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 PM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunks
After I move next month, I plan on making feta and milk chocolate the only overtly non-vegan food items in my life.
There's a thread in here somewhere. I'd be a vegan if I could eat...

Anyway flawed study. I think its easier to get all your nutrients from an omnivorous diet (not that folks do) but you can pull it off with a well considered vegan diet. Anyway I'd be a vegan if I could eat steak and eggs.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #13
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
geez, another half-assed carnivore on display...
Old 02-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #14
garnet

Quote:
Uhhh, never said you did.

Apparently you don't get it, so I'll explain. My comment was in reference to the fact that a diet based on fatty animal products (as this "study" seems to recommend) has been shown to cause clogging of the arteries, and therefore result in heart attacks--any doctor will tell you that.

But hey, if that's how you want to lead your life, go for it. I could personally care less. I would, however, never make the statement that all meat-eaters are stupid--it's not true, and it would offend people. Too bad you and TS think it's OK to slam a group of people based on a biased "study" and your own ignorance. Who's next, UT? Blacks and gays? Or maybe Jews and Muslims? No, probably not. Vegans are a much easier target, aren't they?

And Skunks--cool that you're planning on doing the veg thing! I had a REALLY hard time giving up milk chocolate, so I understand your wanting to hang on to it! Hope it works for ya--it can be a challenge, but I really think it's worth the effort...
Old 02-21-2005, 08:25 PM   #15
lookout123
changed his status to single

ever notice how the ones that get jabbed at the most are usually the ones that give the biggest reaction when they get jabbed? and garnet, you have to learn the rules. it is ok to pick on you because you are a vegan, me because i'm a christian, Onyx because her vocal stand against abortion, and LJ because, well - he's LJ - we all choose to be or do these things.

we can't pick on blacks because they didn't choose to be decended from monkeys, and jews - well i guess we can pick on them, they did decide to kill jesus...