The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
No, I"m not a social engineer. However I have studied sociology extensively. Does that mean when a picture of a man in a wheelchair with an oxygen tank strapped to his wheelchair in a V.A. hospital is sitting there smoking a cigarette it is acceptable because our culture taught us it was o.k to smoke.
As poignant an image as that is, most people fail to understand what the hospital is doing for their patient.

When you have a 75 year old guy, who has smoked for 60 years, dying of pretty darn much ANYTHING, you do things for the patient that are going to keep him relaxed and relatively calm and happy rather than only things that you think would be good for him.

People at the cancer center don't give their terminal patients shit over failing to quit smoking.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:31 AM   #32
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
As poignant an image as that is, most people fail to understand what the hospital is doing for their patient.

When you have a 75 year old guy, who has smoked for 60 years, dying of pretty darn much ANYTHING, you do things for the patient that are going to keep him relaxed and relatively calm and happy rather than only things that you think would be good for him.

People at the cancer center don't give their terminal patients shit over failing to quit smoking.
That's all well and good, but I think the core problem here is he's smoking with an oxygen tank strapped to him. Burning embers...highly concentrated oxygen. Hmmmmm.....

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:36 AM   #33
wolf
lobber of scimitars

They shut them off during smoke time. It wouldn't do to have old people both gasping for breath and bursting into open flame at the same time.

One of my EMT friends used to do tricks with an O2 tank. The best was taking a hit off the tank and then blowing through the cigarette.

You should be careful around the stuff, but it's not like it's hydrogen or anything.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-22-2004, 10:40 AM   #34
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
They shut them off during smoke time. It wouldn't do to have old people both gasping for breath and bursting into open flame at the same time.

One of my EMT friends used to do tricks with an O2 tank. The best was taking a hit off the tank and then blowing through the cigarette.

You should be careful around the stuff, but it's not like it's hydrogen or anything.
Hm...they must do at the VA. I'm just thinking of a friend's emphasmatic grandmother who was on an oxygen regimen, nearly bed-ridden and still smoked 3 packs a day with impunity.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #35
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Would make for some bad press. Wolf's right, though. Nearly all of the patients on the psych ward smoke and they get several breaks during the day to do just that. It would stress them out too much to have them stop smoking for the duration of a hospital stay--same thing for the resp/cardiac patients. We do try to encourage the "Patch" but not many takers. It's one hell of an addiction. I can always tell who smokes just by looking at their skin. All wrinkly and yellow/grey.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That's hepatitis. And/or really poor hygiene.

Rule of thumb: The crazier the patient, the more likely it is they smoke.

There are a bunch of studies on this, although I honestly forget if the conclusion is that the smoking itself is calming for them, or it in someway enhances the antipsychotic meds.

Oh, and not that it means anything, really, many of the staff smoke too. Probably higher numbers than the general popultion.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #37
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

My mother's neighbor was 87 with terminal cancer. His wife made him go outside in the MA winter to smoke.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:45 PM   #38
bjlhct
Theremin Master

Wink

I'm an American who is ethnically and religiously tolerant - the first thing I noticed was how skinny everybody there is.
bjlhct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 09:30 PM   #39
busterb
NSABFD

A few years back, an emt from CA. spent a few weeks here. She said all oxygen cylinders in CA. were marked flammable. I beg to differ, as to being flammable. I have worked w/oxygen, as a welder since 1959. Oxygen will NOT burn. So I had to take here out to shop & show her. Oxygen accelerates( like to have never found that word) combustion!
Old 10-27-2004, 07:25 AM   #40
jaguar
whig

methanphetamine, it's rife as hell it thailand, people on that shit do things like this.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #41
Bitman
cellar smellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
In time, a world that was more completely on the same page, as long as it was a good page, would be able to achieve so much more because they wouldn't be so busy fighting each other and spending so much of their life just trying to be different instead of trying to be better.
Only for a few years, though. Then the world would fill with people, and they'd be back to fighting over land.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #42
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
methanphetamine, it's rife as hell it thailand, people on that shit do things like this.
Would also explain the skinniness of the population.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:20 PM   #43
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitman
Only for a few years, though. Then the world would fill with people, and they'd be back to fighting over land.
I doubt it. Research shows that as cultures become more industrialized their population growth decreases. There is more than enough land for a long time because with increased industrialization comes decreased population growth and increase yield per acre. There would be a balance at some point.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:20 AM   #44
solstist
Person Who Has Posted

Talking

it would be kind of funny if he let the bicycle go!
"look mum no hands"