The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-21-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 21, 2009: Solar Stadium

All stadiums used to be solar stadiums... until somebody decided electric lights would let them play at night too. I think baseball did it around 1935 and these days even local playing fields commonly have lights. But these lights gobble energy faster than the fat family at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

Quote:
Practically every square inch of its dragonesque roof is covered by 8,844 solar panels, ready to supply the enormous record-breaking building with clean power. At the moment it's called (in English at least) the 'World Games Stadium', can be found in kaohsiung, Taiwan and was built to coincide with the opening of the world games - the unpopular but cool family member in the sporting events calendar - which are to be held in Taiwan this July.

Quote:
As far as i know this Taiwanese effort does hold the record for 'largest solar-powered stadium in the world' as a result of its incredible 14,155m2 roof which could potentially generate 1.14 gigawatt hours of electricity every year; enough electricity to power up to 80% of the surrounding neighbourhood after being fed into the grid on the days when the stadium is unused.

Hopefully it won't be too long before all stadiums have similar systems. Apart from Manchester that is. You'd be better off using piezoelectrics to harness energy produced by the relentless rainfall around here. Not that I'm bitter.
I can see this taking off, for pro sports stadiums, here in the U.S. The taxpayers build the stadiums, then the pro teams sell the excess electricity for extra profit. Not that I'm bitter.

link
Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
Ibby
erika

Taiwan's REALLY proud about the world games, cause they get shafted by EVERY OTHER international organization.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

It's pretty cool but i hope there aren't any seats in the tail section cuz the view would SUCK while a game is on.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

That's the minority section.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
All stadiums used to be solar stadiums... until somebody decided electric lights would let them play at night too. I think baseball did it around 1935 and these days even local playing fields commonly have lights. But these lights gobble energy faster than the fat family at the all-you-can-eat buffet.

<< Big pix of Ed Bagley Jr's house >>

I can see this taking off, for pro sports stadiums, here in the U.S. The taxpayers build the stadiums, then the pro teams sell the excess electricity for extra profit. Not that I'm bitter.

link
We loves us some stadiums in Seattle! We love them so much, we're still paying for the Kingdome til 2012, and we blowed that up long ago! The Sonics asked us for a stadium and we told them to go play in a tornado...
Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
It's pretty cool but i hope there aren't any seats in the tail section cuz the view would SUCK while a game is on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
That's the minority section.
For them, they have a bunch of little kids, with sticks and rolled-up balls of tape, to watch, all on asphalt.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
could potentially generate 1.14 gigawatt hours
Wow, that's almost enough to turn a DeLorean into a time machine.

Quote:
Dr. Emmett Brown: No, no, no, no, no. This sucker's electrical. But I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.
Quote:
Younger Dr. Emmett Brown: [running out of the room] 1.21 gigawatts? 1.21 gigawatts? Great Scott!
Marty McFly: [following] What-what the hell is a gigawatt?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Nah, because the DeLorean ran on jiggawatts. Totally different. :p
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
First time I've heard Sheldon complaining about being in the tail section when the game is on.

And since when does "SUCK" have negative connotations?

You feeling okay, Sheldon?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
I can see this taking off, for pro sports stadiums, here in the U.S. The taxpayers build the stadiums, then the pro teams sell the excess electricity for extra profit.
Once word of this gets around, every pro team will demand a new stadium covered in solar panels so that they *can* sell the electricity.