The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Griff
still says videotape

George Bush Hero of the Common Man

Suddenly the GWB who ran for office appears! Taking a page from the Clinton playbook, George has made a big move on the undocumented alien front, swiping a dem issue and slappin the zenophobe wing of the GOP upside the head, at first blush it looks like a positive step. More after I read up on it.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #2
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I saw this when I was doing a last-minute news check last night. So help me, I thought I was seeing shit, and I up and went straight to bed. Now I know it wasn't a fatigue-induced hallucination and...well...someone got a drink?

This is a big red flag to me, I don't know what you folks think. It's an extremely short-sighted strategy, IMO. If Bush gets it off the ground, it's a virtual lock on the election. However, from what I understand, much of his administration and support on the Hill is built on those of the GOP that solidly subscribe to a right-wing ideology, and not so much on those further to the left in the party. Even IF he gets this to work, he's going to have a hell of a time negotiating things through Congress afterwards.

And, of course, if he loses, then it's a severe body blow to both the remainder of his term and his future in Washington. He loses the aforementioned support, with nothing to make up for it.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:20 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Helping his rich friends keep their cheap labor won't win my vote.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

While I support the idea of cutting illegals a break, I think this quote from the story sums up my feelings on what is being proposed:

"We fear this is political positioning and we really want to see some sincere policy outcomes," said Michele Waslin, spokeswoman for the National Council of La Raza.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
russotto
Professor

Probably comes from the security side. Right now, there's so many mostly-harmless undocumented aliens that a few terrorists could be mixed in the bunch and nobody would notice. Document all those aliens and (the security people would hope), finding the terrorists among the remaining undocumented aliens should be easier. As should applying harsh treatment to all remaining undocumented aliens.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus
And, of course, if he loses, then it's a severe body blow to both the remainder of his term and his future in Washington. He loses the aforementioned support, with nothing to make up for it.
Except that he's already picked up the support of a portion of one of the largest voting blocs in the country. He makes a feeble attempt to push it through, it fails to pass, and he gets to sit back in his second term and do anything he wants.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Is it just me or does anyone else find it amazing that our government can track a cow born in Canada almost three years ago, right to the stall where she sleeps in the state of Washington. Also they track her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 11 million illegal aliens wandering around our country.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:42 PM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Cows don't have civil rights. Being that they are only property (like in Nazi slave workcamps), then cows wear license plates.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:14 PM   #9
peasantfarmer
Recruit or Something

Hello. I just joined this group today. I'm not quite certain how this works; my opinions appear to be at odds with others posting here. Even so, I am proffering my opinions as follows:

If corporate terrorism continues to be permitted by our society and our society continues to permit its elected officials to sit on their hands, jobs will continue to be traded around until the cheapest slave is put into every possible position that helps create bottom-line increase, much of which, of course, will end up in the pockets of unconnected shareholders. Illegal aliens are the slave-of-choice now; most of them don't even know they are slaves--yet. Now there are schemes to make them legal ASAP so that officials in government don't catch flak now and fully-engaged bombardment later.

If we are going to permit this activity to continue, how about we get Americans who are out of work back on the payrolls. How about corporations make Americans slaves first before making slaves of non-Americans. This continues the jobless recovery, but at least Americans will be put back to work.

These are not the days of the robber barons in which there were not enough people for jobs to be done and when the call to bring in the tired, the poor, et al. went out. Our situation now is just the opposite--not enough jobs for the people available. We now have double exploitation going on with the jobs of millions of Americans being traded off for the cheaper labor of immigrants, legal and illegal, and the cheaper labor force being employed at slave wages.

Because of the rush to use the cheapest labor available, we are charging headlong toward a return to the infamous medieval system of feudalism. We are already a poorly-disguised oligarchy, the next step could easily be feudalistic in function while couched in the rhetoric of democracy and republic. Let's not return to a system of governance rarely matched in its cruelty to humanity throughout history.

Neither the left nor the right seems to be paying attention; the concern is only for the corporations and major shareholders, the basis of the oligarchy.

We, the People need to get back our true form of Democracy, the only form of governance that makes any real sense. The first step is to elect representatives who will not permit slavery of illegal immigrants in trade for Americans making higher wages. Any representative who tries to find a way to make illegal immigrants legal by the most expedient method, to avoid being connected with putting illegal aliens into positions previously occupied by higher-paid Americans, should be recalled.
peasantfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, Peasant. The manufacturing Barons have already found their slave labor offshore. The service industry Barons are jealous, so to appease them, Bush wants to import slaves for them. He want's to bitch-slap the upiddy middle class.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:04 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 PM   #11
peasantfarmer
Recruit or Something

Bruce,

You nailed it! The middle class has been bitch-slapped almost into extinction.

If we don't put a stop to our continuing loss of manufacturing base, we will become a nation selling lattes, hamburgers, and software to each other, mowing each other's lawns and washing each other's cars. Without the ability to bring in cash from the sale of manufactured goods around the world, the corporation known as America Inc. is in for hostile takeover and no proxy fight will block it.

We can print more money for a while until that backfires as it always does. When the price of bread goes to $10 per loaf, it will cost more $ to buy America Inc., but it won't really mean anything to the global aristocrats after adjusting the true value of the $.
peasantfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 06:16 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Has anyone considered the utility of American firms selling indentures to the "guest workers".

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 10:41 PM   #13
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by peasantfarmer
Hello. I just joined this group today. I'm not quite certain how this works; my opinions appear to be at odds with others posting here.
Everyone's opinions are at odds with others posting here. No worries.
Quote:
Neither the left nor the right seems to be paying attention; the concern is only for the corporations and major shareholders, the basis of the oligarchy.
Indeed. Allow me to shill once again for Perfectly Legal. I promise, my dad gets no cut of this - I really think it's a good book. It concentrates on the tax aspect of corporatism.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 04:35 PM   #14
storm
I wasted time, and now doth time waste me

The apple never falls far from the tree

http://www.nhgazette.com/cgi-bin/NHG...sh_Nazi%20Link
Quote:
In heaven all the interesting people are missing.
Friedrich Nietzsche
storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #15
storm
I wasted time, and now doth time waste me

for some reason the above link is down, ( what don't they want you to know ? )

http://www.nhgazette.com/cgi-bin/NHG...Bush_Nazi_Link
Quote:
Some see private enterprise as a predatory target to be shot, others as a cow to be milked, but few are those who see it as a sturdy horse pulling the wagon.
winston churchill
storm is offline   Reply With Quote