The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 04-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Inherited Disabilities and Having Babies

interesting article from the BBC. What a hard decision to make. I think I'd go the IVF screening route.

Should my hereditary disability stop me having a baby?

Quote:
Some disabled groups also argue it harms their chances of equality and understanding. Ian Macrae, editor of the magazine and website Disability Now, says he would never condemn an individual for making their own choice, but he had significant concerns about screening embryos.

"It re-enforces the stereotypical notion that disability per se is a bad thing that should be excluded and that disabled lives are intrinsically less valuable.
Surely a disability is a bad thing ...otherwise isn't it just a difference?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #2
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

If the future is as the 'Paul Ryan' Tea Partiers want it to be, then the last thing I would want to do is bring something into the world that couldn't fend for itself.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Isn't that Eugenics?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico and ME View Post
If the future is as the 'Paul Ryan' Tea Partiers want it to be, then the last thing I would want to do is bring something into the world that couldn't fend for itself.
But what if there's only a chance it couldn't fend for itself?
Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Im just saying, as in without the social support of a caring community. If you take away the safety net that the current cast of republicans want to get rid of, then bringing someone into the world who would suffer as a result, is heartless, IMO. If you are rich, then go right ahead.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Im sorry, I didn't actually read the article yet, so Im not sure on which level of disability you are talking about. Prolly should go right now and do that.

I don't have a disability (other than severe myopia), but I still made the decision not to have children late in life even though it was my best opportunity to do so (I married for the first time at 40), because I was too fearful of the possibility of giving birth to a down syndrome baby.

(We have two in my family)

Last edited by Pico and ME; 04-18-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #7
GunMaster357
Professor

I took the time to read the BBC article. I can see where these guys have a problem. Yet, as disabilites go, this guy can still operate in society. He is not confined to a wheelchair or a bed.

I am male, 42 and have never married. As far as I know, there's no genetic disorder in my family. Therefore, I can only speak as a hypothetic parent.

Nonetheless, should a disability be detected in utero for one of my future children, I'll take the advice of doctors very seriously.

Not because of the society but for the child. I'm now in good health but in the natural order of things I should die before my children. In the case of an extreme disability, who will take care of that child when I became unable to do it? Will there be suffering?

It is very possible that a lot of people won't agree with me, but, yes, I would consider abortion. Of course, that decision, one way or another, would be reached after discussion with my wife and the doctors.

And that's not eugenics. This is a choice, a difficult one either way, but a choice. Eugenics is enforced, so that's not choice.

Also, please remember that I'm French and that our views on abortion are different from the US point of view.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

I would say that you have to seriously consider and plan for the worse case and make sure that you are up for that if it does not turn out well. Parents of disabled and even very premature children have higher rates of marital discord and divorce. The cost to support a child with a disability may be beyond the ability of the family to pay. Just some things to consider.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Plus, it makes it harder to govern Alaska.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
TheMercenary

I think she had an anoxic birth injury....
Old 04-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Plus, it makes it harder to govern Alaska.
That's some funny posting, right there.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

It would depend on the severity of the disability for me, this man can function in normal society without tons of help or support, if all that went away, he would probably be OK. A person with down syndrome though? Not so much. I would not want to knowingly bring a person into this world that would grow up not being able to fend for themselves. I already plan on adopting though, and I won't choose a mate who is of a different mind.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

These are all the "What ifs" that make me never want to have children. And thank God it will never happen.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Because of our ages and suspicion of other possible chromosonal disorders in my family, we went through a screening process for those types of disorders when we concieved Max. We had already decided to do so when we first decided to have a baby. We also had all the early term scans available.

We had not decided to terminate if there were problems, but taking into account our ages and possible life span of a disabled child (which would obviously depend on the disability) termination was certainly an option for us.

To inform you, my mother gave birth to a severly disabled son. He died when he was five. Her sister gave birth to a similarly but less severe disabled son who is still alive at 35 years of age, but his father recently died, and now my aunt is left to care for him alone.

The doctors have suspected one of two disorders. Either Chromoson X or Noonans disorder. Both are genetic and affect male children with the mother being the carrier.

Having children was a big decision for me. I've been lucky with three healthy children.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
TheMercenary

Have you checked or can you check to see if any of your children carry the recessive gene?