The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

View Poll Results: Should the IOTD be G rated? (not a secret ballot)
Yes, I strongly agree 2 7.69%
I agree to a certain extent....maybe PG 8 30.77%
I am ambivalent 8 30.77%
I disagree .....how about R rated? 2 7.69%
Fuck you, I'll say what I want 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2007, 08:38 PM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
Quote:
In the IOtD thread, because it's UT's baby and the way most people come to the Cellar, I've been promoting the idea of cleaning up the language enough so net nanny doesn't knock people off. A lot of people, surfing from work, have to contend with censoring software.

Not a rule, not an order, just an idea of mine I'm floating, to help keep the IOtD available to as many as possible.
xoxoxo Bruce
I don't even know how to respond to this.
You don't have to respond.
I've introduced a thought, which you can mull and incorporate it in your thinking or discard it.

I've no wish to censor or chastise or regulate anyones behavior, just put it out there for consideration....for the benefit (I think) of the people that suffer net nanny, and Tony's IOtD.

I've proposed the idea to a half dozen people with only one person arguing unamerican censorship.

I haven't posted it for discussion because I'd rather avoid the debate and those opposing, demonstrating their right to be as vulgar as possible in IOtD.
yeah, well that's most of my confusion. a behind the scenes movement may make a few think twice about cursing, but if no one else knows that it's even something to be concerned about.....???

I think that if this is something you feel would be beneficial in a general sense, and people mainly agree with you.....i'm not one of those people that feels the need to rebel against a rule or guideline just because it's there. But for your idea to have any result at all, it would have to be publicly known.

If you don't think it is an appropriate thread for you to start as a moderator, I'd pose the question for you. I won't do it if you'd rather i didn't, and I don;t see any reason to refrain from using blue language if I'm one of seven people that know about this. Not trying to be a dick, understand....just....i curse. i'm a curser. i like to type like i talk.

I will try to comply if the consensus is that we should censor ourselves, however. .... I'm also a team player.
Well, I'm pretty crude myself most of the time and hadn't thought about it until a couple of people complained about net nanny not letting them see certain threads.
So, I started watching IOtD, because it's so important to Tony, and separate from the rest of the Cellar, in that it's the window other webmasters use to see and judge him by. Actually it's been pretty clean, which surprised me.
You can certainly start a thread, if you wish, but I'll bet Tony gives his speech about his mother teaching him there are no bad words, at an early age.
But I still think consideration for how important that one thread is to him, would be the least we could do for him. Just my opinion though, no big deal.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #17
monster
I hear them call the tide

I think it's fine as it is now. Nobody is gratuitously X-rated, in general people "keep it clean". In my experience, if you try and enforce a familiy-rated language standard, some people will go out of their way to try and break it. Just because they can. So the standard decreases rather than increases.

I believe the images and thread titles should be family rated (so as not to upset "safe" google searches and the like), but the follow-up content? Nah.

Mind you, I don't subscribe to the whole "bad word" thing, so my opinion is a little biased. To me, no words are bad. What counts is the use -meaning/intention and appropriateness. As far as I'm concerned, exclaiming "sugar" when you mean "shit" is no improvement. A written F**K is no improvement on fuck we all know what you mean -I can see that censor-bots could be a problem, but meh.

Last edited by monster; 03-07-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: distraction-related typos
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #18
monster

So I got distracted and all after Ducksnuts was posted while I was typing.

Yes I agree, a suggestion, but not an enforcement is the way to go. But the odd slip up is not going to hurt -coming down hard on those who slip up might.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #19
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

so can we still talk about frying and eating cute little fuzzy critters ?????
Old 03-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #20
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
In the above scenario, one would simply need to avoid the "bot" by substituting characters, IE "fvck" or "ƒuck" for fuck. (Alt+0131 = ƒ)
I didn't really understand the reason for censorship, so my question was moot. It wasn't that I was looking for a way around the language - I was asking whether I would have to censor the mental images.

Which I now realise isn't the case - this is about making sure IoTD gets maximum exposure, not protecting young minds from adult thoughts. So I can post seemingly innocuous words like beef curtains and seepage and ring in as vulgar a combination as I wish.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Right, we aren't try to lure youth to IOtD..... except those little plaid skirts with knee socks and white blouses with peter pan collars.

Sure Zip, everything is still on the buffet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster
Yes I agree, a suggestion, but not an enforcement is the way to go. But the odd slip up is not going to hurt -coming down hard on those who slip up might.
Agreed, I'm not suggesting enforcement or castigation. and my intention was not to stir up any shit. Which is why I was mentioning to people, I thought would be a good idea to show some consideration if possible. It seemed to be working out, without oppressing anyone, because the people that post regularly set the tone of the thread even if they don't realize it.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM   #22
Larry
Practically God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksNuts View Post
I hate censorship, its soooo subjective.
I know someone who will only let her kids use curse words beginning with A or B. I suppose it makes some kind of sense to them, but I just don't see it.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Simple, she hates the C word.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #24
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Simple, she hates the C word.
And got tired of them calling their dad a dickhead!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I know someone who will only let her kids use curse words beginning with A or B. I suppose it makes some kind of sense to them, but I just don't see it.
That seems a lot more like performance art than it does behavior modification.

There are some real beauties in the A-B range, after all.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #26
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
There are some real beauties in the A-B range, after all.
Bollocks!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #27
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Bollocks!
... ... Asshole.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 01:47 PM   #28
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Bloody hell!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #29
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Bitch!
Old 03-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #30
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Bugger!

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote