The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #76
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I read a review of the Great Holiday Baking Show, that was less than complimentary:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...abc-copy-fails

So, I watched the first episode and I thought it was really good. The criticisms in the review are a little unfair I think. They might have softened aspects of it, but I thought they caught a lot of the essence of the original, whilst not feeling like an attempt to be british. This is a much better attempt to do an american version of the show than the last one.

One of the things I love about GBBO is that the people who go on it are a really nice mix of personality types and backgrounds and it's a lot less celeb wannabe than most other reality shows. It's ordinary people who like to bake. Or, at least that's how it started. It's massive popularity and tendency in the last couple of years to generate twitter flurries and news stories (including the baked alaska sabotage scandal - I am not making that up) may be changing that.

The Great Holiday Baking Show seems to me to have got the ordinary people part of it right. It's really nice to see ordinary american people on screen who are just normal and not super heightened.As a brit I only really get to see professional actors and entertainers, reality tv wannabe stars, or the weirdest, wildest and most warped examples of society - because tv isn't generally in the business of showing ordinary people, and most ordinary people don't seek to be on tv.

I also really liked the presenters. I don't really get why the reviewer was so down on them.

Finally - I don't think there was a difference in quality in terms of the bakes. I think the reviewer went in wanting to dislike this.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #77
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Season 2 of Broadchurch is on NetFlix!!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #78
DanaC

At Foots's urging, I finally gave Orphan Black a go. For some reason I've been resistant to watching it, despite all the good reviews. But I gave in (sometimes peer rpessure is a good thing :P) and watched the first episode a few nights ago - enjoyed it, could defintely see that it might turn into something that grabs me. Quite quirky, well-acted, interesting characters, and walked a fine line between drama and humour.

So - I just watched episode 2. It's ten past the witching hour and I really, really want to watch episode 3. The second episode has totally got under my skin. I am very much buzzed about this show. Bloody hell, this woman is an awesome actor. All the actors are great. I especially like her best friend, Felix. He's wonderful. The pace of the story is excellent - it's really drawing me in.

I also really like the opening theme.

Even as I am writing this post I haven't made my mind up about whether I am going to watch another episode, or do the sensible thing and go to bed. I'm thinking I really shold do the latter ....so then I'm thinking mabe I oculd go tobed and watch another episode on my laptop so I am in bed....kind of cheating though....but...if I just go tobed, i'd probably end up reading for a while - so...?

Decisions, decisions.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #79
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Guessing she went to bed since the third episode would have ended about 40 minutes ago. Unless she's into the 4th...
Old 05-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #80
DanaC

By the time I finished sorting out Carrot's last trip onto the back lane fr a quyick wee, made myself a brew, had a wash etc and booted up the laptop it was gone 1:00 :P

I just finished ep 3 heh. I am now going to switch off the laptop and go to sleep - but seriously, if I didn't have a bunch of stuff to do tomorrow, I'd be sorely tempted to watch another
Old 05-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #81
DanaC

Ohhh thats it - I've hit full-blown addiction already. Got up late (11:30), walked the dog, cooked some breakfast and now here I am at 2:30 and am I working? No. Am I washing my hair, having a bath, or tidying my house? No. I'm watching fucking Orphan Black.

Damn you, Foots.

This show is frikkin awesome.