The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #421
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well, I've dialed into the conference call for the first second interview. I am the first person in the conference. I'm wearing my jabra bluetooth headset, the little silicone tips make a good seal for my

oh!
we're live.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #422
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

well, that just happened!

went very well, will know the next thing I know within a week.

Gonna go decompress a little, have a big day today with non work stuff, and more work stuff tomorrow with an in person first interview with employer number three.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #423
glatt

keep on keeping on
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #424
Griff
still says videotape

good work, breathe
Old 03-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #425
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Sounds like you've been able to maintain a good attitude.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #426
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's been a week.

The phone interview went well.

The next day, Tuesday, I had another panel interview with an outfit here in town, just five minutes away. That interview also went very well and they said they'd like to have a decision in the next two weeks.

Yesterday I wrote a followup letter for the people in the Monday phone interview. I like them, I like their company, the job and the location all seem very appealing. I asked a couple people to proof my letter and I heard back from them this morning.

Alongside the replies from my proofreading friends, I found a message from the internal recruiter at the company who conducted the phone interview on Monday. They said they'd be in touch within a week and they kept their word.

Their word is "We would like to move forward with you. Do you have time tomorrow to chat?"

This is the most preferred potential employer of the three that I've interviewed with to this point.

I am so stoked!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #427
Griff
still says videotape

YES!
Old 03-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #428
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Go, Go Big V!!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #429
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
We would like to move forward with you.
That's my new pick up line:

I would like to move forward with you. And then back. And then forward. And then back. And then forward...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #430
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
That's my new pick up line:

I would like to move forward with you. And then back. And then forward. And then back. And then forward...
Man, you crack me the hell up!
Old 03-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #431
monster
I hear them call the tide

yes!
Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 PM   #432
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Good news:
I have been made an offer, verbally over the phone. I like the offer and they say an electronic copy will be arriving by email by early next week.

Bad news:
It is a contingent offer. It is contingent on me being granted a security clearance. This is beyond my direct control, even beyond the direct control of the employer as they don't issue security clearances.

I have never had a contingent offer (nor a security clearance). The employer says that the offer stands for six months, that they are suspending the search, that they want *me* and are willing to wait on the government (for up to six months) to get me. The employer indicated to me that they understand that I still need to work in the meantime and there are no restrictions on me during the six month "life" of the offer. The recruiter said I can take any kind of work in the meantime and when the government issues the clearance, or an interim clearance, they'll tell me (though I think I'd be informed by the government directly as well) and I can choose to accept this offer at that time.

This puts me in a kind of weird position. I want a job, I want full time work. I have other live interview/opportunities which may develop into offers. Take a job then quit saying "see ya, got a better offer", which I know absolutely happens, but I've never done that. Would I accept and say I'm expecting to leave within six months? That sounds like a bad idea. Who would intentionally hire someone, train them up knowing they wouldn't be there past six months? The flip side also feels dishonest, not telling them.

At this moment, these are hypothetical situations. I don't have to make any of these choices right now. But I'm probably going to have to make a decision like this at some point it the mid future.

Side note, the recruiter spent a lot of time talking up / talking about the benefits of the company, holidays, pay schedule, PTO schedule, etc etc. That was nice to hear, but you had me at "offer". She did also say that I need to get a technical certification which was discussed in the interview. I told the men that I didn't possess the cert they asked about. They replied, can you get it within six months of starting here? Yes, definitely. I'll start at the end of this call (and I did). One nice company benefit: $5,250 annual stipend for academic assistance and technical training. This certification would fall squarely under that characterization. I see a lot of schooling in my future.

I feel good.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #433
monster
I hear them call the tide

you carry on hunting, you take what job you get, you do it as if it were the job you wanted all along, and then when these people come back to you, consider yourself as having been head-hunted and resign from the one you are doing accordingly.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #434
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Bad news:
It is a contingent offer. It is contingent on me being granted a security clearance. This is beyond my direct control, even beyond the direct control of the employer as they don't issue security clearances.

I have never had a contingent offer (nor a security clearance). The employer says that the offer stands for six months, that they are suspending the search, that they want *me* and are willing to wait on the government (for up to six months) to get me. The employer indicated to me that they understand that I still need to work in the meantime and there are no restrictions on me during the six month "life" of the offer. The recruiter said I can take any kind of work in the meantime and when the government issues the clearance, or an interim clearance, they'll tell me (though I think I'd be informed by the government directly as well) and I can choose to accept this offer at that time....
Perhaps I can give this some additional perspective:

The process you're awaiting is what everyone who's ever joined the military has gone through.

The authority for granting a security clearance descends from the POTUS. Career civil servants carry out that process for him and he'll never know you exist.

A security clearance is a privilege … not a right. There's no disputing the final determination; so, the government doesn't generally contact an individual directly regarding the outcome.

They'll do (maybe already have done) an instant background check for criminal convictions and psychiatric adjudications much like is done for purchasing firearms. Passing that gets you an interim security clearance.

Then they'll do a detailed background check for indicators. It's a more in-depth risk assessment in which they'll look at arrests without convictions. They may interview those you've listed as references and neighbors. They're looking to see if anything comes up that you could be blackmailed for (are you a peeping Tom; or, running an unlicensed lemonade stand?) and aren't particularly interested in people's opinions of you.

Not previously having held a security clearance only affects the waiting time. Updates are faster and there will be periodic updates. After you leave a position that requires a security clearance, it automatically gets downgraded to an inactive status. Going to another such position will only require an update and the waiting time will be shorter for reactivation.

You can lose a security clearance for anything that might've kept you from getting one in the first place (e.g. get a DUI and you can lose your job, even if you aren't convicted).

Taking another job before a security clearance is granted won't affect your eligibility for one. The investigation process will; however, stop and you'll have to start from scratch next time.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #435
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Congrats! Though as I understand it, they are far behind on investigations, and clearances are slow coming. But hopefully interim clearances are quicker.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote