The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 07-24-2020, 03:10 AM   #61
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn Tony, $104 million for a blue one!!
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #62
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Fanboi alarm! WOOT WOOOOOOOT

Well they came out with their quarterly safety statement and here, from accident data 2020-Q2, it's pretty interesting:

Quote:
In the 2nd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.53 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.27 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.56 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.
Well.... I dunno. There are still some gotchas in this data; like, you won't/can't use Autopilot under the most unsafe conditions, like when the roads are poor.

But this does make me feel better about Autopilot. I'm using it more.

Today I had an unexpected moment with it. I wanted to unwrap a cheese stick using both hands, and I started driving the car with my knees, as one does. Then I realized: duh, let the car take over the driving. The car is a waaay better driver than my knees. Even with 40 years of experience in knee-driving.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:06 AM   #63
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Knees are poor drivers, even pro knees are risky. Their problem being the brain is disconnected. It's like a brain off to college just calling home once a week with the knees doing the best they can between calls.

People don't realize hands free phone calls do the same thing. When the person on the line mentions a third party you're spinning your mental rolodex looking for that person. When they mention a place, back to the mental picture files. When they describe an interaction with someone, you're building a stage set picturing the interaction playing out in your head.

That is called distracting driving.
Yeah, I know, you do it all the time and nothing more than a HONK, oops sorry, has happened. But it will.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #64
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Knees are poor drivers, even pro knees are risky. Their problem being the brain is disconnected. It's like a brain off to college just calling home once a week with the knees doing the best they can between calls.
That's why I'm an elbow driver.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #65
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Model 3...
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #66
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Model X rollover test

Old 08-05-2020, 06:15 AM   #67
Griff
still says videotape

Wow, really low center of gravity. She must be amazing on corners.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #68
glatt

Weebles wobble but they don’t fall down.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #69
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
She must be amazing on corners.
It's my understanding from the car mags that they are exactly that, amazing.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:55 AM   #70
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Got all that battery weight down low, a little tug on the rope and it rolls right back in the sand or whatever that is. Laying on its side on hard ground would be harder to upright it, might have to ask your date to get out and help.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:44 AM   #71
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post

People don't realize hands free phone calls do the same thing. When the person on the line mentions a third party you're spinning your mental rolodex looking for that person. When they mention a place, back to the mental picture files. When they describe an interaction with someone, you're building a stage set picturing the interaction playing out in your head.

That is called distracting driving.
Yeah, I know, you do it all the time and nothing more than a HONK, oops sorry, has happened. But it will.

About the hands free phones, yes and YES this.
Which is why I’ll never set my phone up for hands free use in the car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #72
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Old 08-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #73
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Reddit post: "My daughter and I walked away"

Quote:
Last Friday we were driving home from Florida. An 18 wheeler pulled in front of us from a turn lane, auto pilot picked it up and tried to stop. I grabbed the wheel and tried to avoid the 18 wheeler. the rear guard rail on the 18 wheeler caught the front of the car and cut the entire driver side off the only way I can explain it is it looked like it was done with a light saber

My daughter was asleep in the rear seat she got six stitches in her knee

I broke my arm severely had a couple surgeries pins and plates but ultimately walked away from something we shouldn’t have

We were not cut out of the car and charge the life we’re not used [toad's note: he is doing voice recog with his phone, it's actually "jaws of life were not used"]

Did you know that Tesla will do a contactless delivery to the hospital.

Tesla delivered a 2020 Y to the hospital for me.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:09 PM   #74
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

how do you engage the autopilot while underway and do you have to take one hand off your cheese to do it?
Old 08-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #75
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Pull down twice on the right stalk. It's one pull-down for adaptive cruise control, so it's kinda like, one pull for the car to take the accelerator, two for it to take the wheel as well.

Further, grabbing the wheel and actually steering will disengage autopilot, and tapping the brake disengages both autopilot and cruise.