The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-10-2006, 10:54 AM   #571
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Just finished... The Family Trade by Charles Stross. (Waiting for vol. 2 of the series to come from the library.)
Hood by Stephen Lawhead. (Snooze... finished it, but not going to bother with future volumes)

In progress... Lords and Ladies by Terry Pratchett.

In the on-deck pile.... Ghost, by John Ringo
Mountains of the Pharaohs, by Zahi Hawass
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #572
SeleneRati
Come Spoon With Me

My book group is currently in the middle of reading "The Chicken Qabalah"

http://www.amazon.com/Chicken-Qabala...e=UTF8&s=books

So far we have found the humor and easy writing style of this book to be helpful in understanding more about Qabalah from a layman's perspective. Most of us are interested in learning more so that we can better interpret Tarot and Astrology information.
- Robert Fritz
SeleneRati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #573
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Harold Lloyd's Hollywood Nudes in 3D! (Hardcover)

I saw this in Barnes and Nobles today for $10 and I had to buy it. Part of it was prurient interest, and part was my fascination with Harold Lloyd. I knew him as a fearless comedian who did his own insanely dangerous stunts, but I had not heard anything about nude photographs, especially not 3-D nudes.

The book even includes the 3-D glasses.

Did I mention that I bought it for the articles?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #574
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Hey, I have a copy of that!

It's a shame they did it in the red-blue format. I always preferred the side-by-side because there's no monkeying with the color.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #575
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves - Alan Dean Foster, ed.

Collection of Short Stories from 1991 or so, which I read when I purchased it, but not since. It migrated to the front of the linen closet and I was looking for something light and fluffy and there it was.

Interestingly, thus far none of the short stories have involved a Smart Dragon or a Foolish Elf.

They are fantasy tales with a humorous bent or wry twist to them, overall, not bad, but few of the stories are truly memorable. Except Djinn, No Chaser by Harlan Ellison, of course.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #576
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I just started the Da Vinci Code.

Your stories sound like fun wolf.

What is Lords and Ladies about Stevedallas?
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:56 PM   #577
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
I kind of dabbled in Buddhism for a while. When I realised I didn't believe in God, I still felt I needed some sort of "spiritual" life and Buddhism seemed compatible with my beliefs. Most importantly, it didn't seem like much of a religion to me. More of a philosophy. I should follow that up by saying that I don't know a great deal about it beyond the basics.

At any rate. I'm reading I'm Just Here for the Food and I'm Just Here for More Food by Alton Brown. Not really "literature", but I'm fascinated by his ability to describe how and why something happens when you cook.
Hi Perth!
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #578
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe
What is Lords and Ladies about Stevedallas?
"Lords and Ladies" is a euphemism for elves in Discworld. The book examines what happens when some elves decide to visit Discworld.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #579
rkzenrage

Been kinda' stressed about trying to read again. I used to read a book a day (I don't sleep much). Once my pain levels reached a certain point my concentration reached a point where I was not retaining the last page I read. It was like someone killed my best friend without telling me.
It has been about a year since I finished a real book... I have been dipping back into my old comic collection from time to time (a long shot from ancient religious texts, great fiction and new physics journals).
I am pretty scared/apprehensive about this... in a way it would just be easier not to truly know it was gone.
I am not used to being scared of anything. I have a couple of choices I have been thinking of, couple by His Holiness The Dalia Lama or Thich Nhat Hanh. Perhaps re-reading an old favorite like the Three Pillars of Zen?
I miss the constant support of my path by these readings.
However, I wonder if reading some fiction may be "easier"... not what I think about when I think of reading, which I often do.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:41 PM   #580
Griff
still says videotape

It seems like graphic novels should be a good direction to go. A good strategy might be to not mark your page when you put it down. When you pick it up again, just flip through until you get to the last part you clearly remember.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 PM   #581
rkzenrage

I tried that just before I stopped... it is why I stopped. I was reading the same passages over and over and over again. It became very frustrating.
I'm pretty sure I'm better with the pain and meds now... I hope so.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #582
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I'll agree it's interesting... but there's one chapter about 3/4ths of the way through that you can just skip. You don't need it. You'll know it when you get there. It's nothing but one long speech and there's nothing new said in it, so just save yourself the time and flip ahead to the next chapter where stuff starts happening again.
christ. it took him 3 hours to read it. from my stop at wawa 15 minutes from home, all the way back to work the next morning(1.5 hours) and all the way home again (1.25 hours) and there was no new information.

this part, though seems to be the real message of the book. if you just want her message, and politics, you could just read that part, i think. it's just really dry. I may actually re- listen to that part at some point, because there were a few times when things he said clicked.....but i was so drowsy from work, or the rambling manner of the speech, that it didn;t stick with me. it reminded me of one of radar's more lengthy posts about libertarianism.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:06 AM   #583
Griff
still says videotape

I wonder if she wrote that first built the novel around it and then didn't delete it when it became superflous?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #584
Gleep
Bibliophile

Location: I have the great misfortune to be currently residing in Greeley, CO, USA.
I see that no one has posted for a while, and as I'm insanely bored, waiting to become tired enough to pass out, I figured I'd post. Pretty much just becuase I can.

The last book I read was "Cursor's Fury", by Jim Butcher. Excellent freaking book, as are all of his books.

I'm currently waiting for Laurell K. Hamilton's next book to come out--tomorrow! "Mistral's Tears", I think it's called. I've abandoned her vampire books, but I'm completely hooked on the Meredith Gentry series.
Gleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #585
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I read the whole of Hamilton's vampire series (whole until 2001 anyway) while I lived in London. It was recommended to me by my local bookshop and although I never really rated it, it was a habit. She has great ideas for storylines, but never had the quality of writing to really appeal to me. They were Tube books (ie books I could read on the Tube without worrying I'd miss my station)

Is Meredith Gentry better, or does she still have a habit of duplicating descriptions from one book to another?

Tags
books