The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 PM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Favorite Childrens Movie

Now in an attempt to adapt from the Favorite Childrens book thread which brought back a lot of memories for me, I want to know what everyone's favorite Childrens movie is. Mine is either The Neverending Story or The Lion King .
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #2
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I really enjoy the animated films of H. Miyazaki (sorry I'm dialing up here, don't feel like checking my spelling), like Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle In The Sky, and Spirited Away.

Mary Poppins is right up there too.

However my all-time favorite would have to be Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I'll echo all of the mentioned ones, and add the Dark Crystal, Wizard of Oz, Yellow Submarine, and the BBC Narnia movies.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

And how could I forget "A Christmas Story"?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:41 PM   #5
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Ooompa loompa doopadee doo. Willy Wonka's the movie for you!

@

Last edited by Slartibartfast; 03-23-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"The Last Unicorn" when I was a kid, and "The Neverending Story" both then and now.

Also slightly off-topic, a movie I remember liking as a kid that makes me want to tear my eyes out with a pair of scissors now: "Bedknobs and Broomsticks." Holy Christ is this a horrible movie. Foolishly purchased based on my rose-colored memories, it's the only one in our collection that I simply can't be in the same room as.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by Clodfobble

Also slightly off-topic, a movie I remember liking as a kid that makes me want to tear my eyes out with a pair of scissors now: "Bedknobs and Broomsticks." Holy Christ is this a horrible movie.
Aside again, this reminds me of when I try to watch almost any Hanna Barbara cartoon now as an adult. The stuff is almost all pure drivel!

And as for movies I really liked as a kid. E.T. gave me nightmares the night I saw it, but I remember liking it.

I remember seeing Fantasia in the theater, and for a long time I really thought a whole orchestra had risen up from the stage and zoomed away! This is the only Disney movie I saw in the theaters as a kid.

I saw 2010 and loved all the space scenes. Didn't know what was going on, but it was a cool ride! It is a very visual movie: dolphins, space ships, jupiter and its subsequent boom, HAL. Yes, I was a science geek even as a kid.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
"The Last Unicorn" when I was a kid, and "The Neverending Story" both then and now.

Also slightly off-topic, a movie I remember liking as a kid that makes me want to tear my eyes out with a pair of scissors now: "Bedknobs and Broomsticks." Holy Christ is this a horrible movie. Foolishly purchased based on my rose-colored memories, it's the only one in our collection that I simply can't be in the same room as.
That's weird, I remember loving that movie. Then again I haven't watched it since I was 10.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:54 PM   #9
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:

Haha damn! I used to love that movie as a kid.

Let's see...

1) Anything Disney
2) Annie
3) The Wiz...I was the biggest Michael Jackson fan! (when he was black..ok, so this wasn't quite a "kid's" movie, but I was a kid when it came out in 1978).
4) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 04:23 PM   #10
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

I have to second The Last Unicorn, even to this day I will watch that movie if it comes on the tv.

The Never Ending Story was a movie I watched over and over every day when I was like 4. Finally my mom told me I needed to start watching something else. She told me when I was older that she was about to loose it if she had to watch that movie back to back one more time.

A movie I have been thinking about finding again is Dot and the Kangaroo. I can remember watching it a hundred times as a kid. Something tells me I wont like it now that I am grown, but man I loved it as a kid.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:24 PM   #11
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
"The Last Unicorn" when I was a kid<snip!>
We just got this on DVD...I've never seen it, but we do the title song in my band, strangely enough. There is a live action version of this in production, with many of the main character voices reprising their parts in the flesh (Christopher Lee, Mia Farrow, Angela Lansbury, Rene Auberjonois).
Old 03-23-2004, 09:54 PM   #12
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Quote:
Originally posted by Brigliadore
A movie I have been thinking about finding again is Dot and the Kangaroo. I can remember watching it a hundred times as a kid. Something tells me I wont like it now that I am grown, but man I loved it as a kid.
ooh! i loved that movie! is that the one where the scenery is real footage of the outback but the charachters are cartoons drawn in? i love movies that do that, its such a spinner, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit (which was my favourite movie along with My Girl) except i cried when the little boot was put into the DIP!!
Old 03-23-2004, 10:57 PM   #13
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
is that the one where the scenery is real footage of the outback but the charachters are cartoons drawn in?
Thats the one. There were a few more Dot and the (insert Australian type animal here) movies, but I don't remember what they were all called and I don't remember them as well as Dot and the Kangaroo.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #14
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Fantasia , was , is and will always be one of the best movies EVER in my humble opinion .

Now to date my self i rember when willy wonka came out , it was rated PG because Willy said "HELL". Good flick .

Chity chitty bang bang was good as well , and Mary popins Rocked ,
but hell i still rember haveing Black and white tv with only 3 channels ,
if the pres came on your evening was FUCKED !!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:59 PM   #15
hot_pastrami
I am meaty

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the Wallace and Grommit shorts. Of course none of us were kids when they came out, but that wasn't a prerequisite to the question, now was it? I hear they're in the middle of greuling process of making a full-length movie of the two English blobs of clay. Fuckin A.

The only children's movies I remember liking as a kid are the original Muppet movies. There must have been a few others, but nothing springs to mind.