The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #301
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

By coincidence or design, tomorrow is the anniversary of ( my / the ) last post in this thread.
And even though next year the GOP will control the House and Senate,
they can't wait till then to play their games, and their game has not changed.

The GOP leadership again says they do not want to shut down the government...
but it looks like they do want to return to the glorious days of the G.W.Bush era.
Back then, big banks could engage in all sorts of risky dealings,
and there was all that $ in the checking and savings accounts of J.Q. Public.
Talk about temptations !

Well, we know what came of that.
The banks lost $ and the FDIC was there to insure losses.
But then came the Dodd-Frank Bill that stopped the banks
from using those public accounts $ for their risky (gambling ?) forays.

Now, on this anniversary, the House GOP has funded all of the government thru Sept, 2015,
except for Homeland Security. Guess what ! Hidden in this giga-bill is a secret little amendment
to the Dodd-Frank Bill. It again allows big banks to use the $ in those public accounts,
and again has the FDIC on the hook for any losses the bank incurs in those accounts.

…All will be right in this forthcoming glorious GOP world of high finance.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #302
glatt

I'm torn.

Do I care about what Congress has put in this spending bill that will surely pass today? If I do, I'll get really pissed off and it will aggravate me. But I'm powerless to do anything about it. So do I just ignore it? Put the newspaper away and think about how my daughter has a holiday band concert next week and it will be awesome?

The fuckers are supposed to fund the government. That's just the most basic part of their job. But they can't even do that without loading the thing down with tons of pure excrement. All of which will be dumped directly on our heads.

- weakening campaign finance laws so they can get about ten times more in donations from wealthy donors. The whores have to give themselves a raise.

-loosing bank regulations to reward those that pulled us into this horrible recession

- allowing private retirement pension benefits, which have always been untouchable, to be cut so that mismanaged funds can be brought back into the black on the backs of the retired. They are actually allowing current retirees to lose some of their pension payments.

-cutting $300M in funding from Pell grants so fewer low income students can go to college

-slashing $350M from the IRS so they can't be as effective at making sure rich people pay their fair share of taxes. I bet this one will actually cost the gov't more than $350M in uncollected tax revenue.

-slashing another $60M from the EPA, on top of the 20% already slashed in the last 4 years. Gotta let those corps pollute. Good for the bottom line.

-blocking the legalization of pot in DC, voted for by a huge majority of voters. Government overreach is a bad thing, unless you are the one who gets to do it. Hypocritical scum.

- and stupid little things like blocking new regulations in trucking that would have required drivers to get some more sleep and shrink their typical work week from 80 hours down to 72. I love sharing the road with sleepy truckers. Thanks Congress!

there's some good:

A 1% pay raise for military and government workers. They are almost keeping up with inflation now.

$5.4B to fight Ebola.

That's about it.

I guess I let it aggravate me. Sorry. I'll try to go stick my head in the sand again. It's nice down there.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #303
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I'm torn.

Do I care about what Congress has put in this spending bill that will surely pass today? If I do, I'll get really pissed off and it will aggravate me. But I'm powerless to do anything about it. So do I just ignore it? Put the newspaper away and think about how my daughter has a holiday band concert next week and it will be awesome?
USA! USA! You're free to do what you want... because they don't give a shit.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #304
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Its Pelosi's fault. lol
Old 12-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #305
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

We're back in the good ol' times ....
Name:  frank-cotham--i-could-show-you-folks-how-to-tap-into-your-hovel-s-equity--new-yorker-cartoon_i-G.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  64.0 KB
The Democrats caved in, and set precedent for the next 2 years
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote