The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 12-24-2003, 08:10 AM   #16
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
Fact that makes it all better: BSE can't be transmitted via "muscle cuts" of meat such as... well... STEAKS.

Therefore, from here on out just eat STEAK, and avoid non-muscle beef such as LIVER.

This has been a public service announcement.
steak is the only beef i tend to eat other than roast beef lunchmeat, so I guess i'm not worried about getting mad cow's, but the things you find out on the side while lookin ginto this ...... there is a small natural foods store nearby that sells all natural grass fed beef.....think i'll stick to that....even if it costs more. I really don;t want to eat any canibal cows.

what the hell is wrong with people? we know canibalism is a bad thing, why is it ok for livestock!? money really twists people's minds.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 08:41 AM   #17
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
More well used bandwidth - or is this masquarading as an intellectual response? Entertainment is setting off an explosive mind. So easy. Not one obscene word is even required as a detonator.

Still awaiting a word of wisdom on the Sec of Agriculture's statements. If her statements are so awe inspiring - then why not limit your vocabulary to one letter words such ! . Then no need to captialize all letters. No shouting obscenities to make a complete response.
tw,

It's a shame you're so pompous. It really is. Your first post was somewhat helpful and informative, the added info about taco bell was also useful. this was the kind of thing i was looking for.....more info. If i use "an obscenity" it is for flavor. As I said. "WHAT THE FUCK!!!???" conveys a whole different message than, "what the heck!!!???" does it not?

And i'm really not all that easy to aggrevate, but i make exceptions for you, given our brief, but glorious history . your post was intended to belittle and insult me without direct provocation. you question my intellect and my diet? why would i NOT react. You must still be sore about the vegetable comment. When someone is trying to be a jerk to you or to piss you off, even if they don't succeed, that is reason enough to let them know about it.

i thought you subscribed to the theory that you should ignore someone when they are being childish or ignorant. I was certainly being childish in my reply to your attack. I guess it's just a theory after all.

I don't believe in the ignore button, cougar. I can handle tw. plus, as i said, if i had ignored him from that last time, i would have missed the positive contribution that he made with his first post here.
I've read a few of his posts since our little spat, and simply overlooked his superior tones, as I'm sure everyone is already aware of how he is and there is no reason to point it out every time. The fact is that much of the information included in his posts is useful. it just sucks that it comes in such shitty wrappings. whattya gonna do?

in closing i'd just like to say this:

tw,

there is a sale on zucchini at Acme this week.....don't miss it.

Last edited by lumberjim; 12-24-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:06 AM   #18
russotto
Professor

I don't think BSE has been found in liver, either. Just brain and related parts. Ground beef is your biggest danger if you don't eat brains... you never know what was in that grinder first.

I'm not suprised they've found mad cow here. After all, there's been a "chronic wasting disease" endemic in wild ruminants for a long while now, and it's a spongiform encepholpathy as well. I suspect this isn't the British BSE but rather the domestic CWD having crossed the species barrier.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 10:10 AM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally posted by russotto
I don't think BSE has been found in liver, either. Just brain and related parts. Ground beef is your biggest danger if you don't eat brains... you never know what was in that grinder first.
The zombie population has got to be pissed about this.

Brah-aaaaaaaiiiins, braaains!
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 04:29 PM   #20
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by Torrere
I think it's funny (and somewhat cool) that Mad Cow disease has struck America. There are some political and cultural lessons to be learned from it.
I hope Oprah sues the fuck out of the beef industry! Looks like she was right. Man, I'd have a lawer on the phone so god damn fast their heads would spin.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 11:43 PM   #21
russotto
Professor

What would be the grounds? Oprah's the way she is because she's Oprah, not because she's got BSE.

Anyway, maybe you can't get MAD COW from a carrot ('cause it has no brains), but you can get anthrax from it. And botulism from green beens.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:31 AM   #22
quzah

Quote:
What would be the grounds? Oprah's the way she is because she's Oprah, not because she's got BSE.
On the fact that they sued the fuck out of her because she suggested that the USA might get it*? See the connection here? Or should I spell it out slower with smaller words?

Speaking of Anthrax, you can get that from a cow too, so what's your point? Trying to prove your machismo because you're a omnivore? Wow, I'm impressed.

Quzah.

[edit]
*It being Mad Cow, in case you aren't clever enough to discern "it" on your own. I figured I'd better clarify just for you. Didn't want you to think she could get "it" as in "carrots" or something...
[/edit]

Last edited by quzah; 12-25-2003 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:15 PM   #23
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by lumberjim
And i'm really not all that easy to aggrevate, but i make exceptions for you, given our brief, but glorious . your post was intended to belittle and insult me without direct provocation. you question my intellect and my diet? why would i NOT react.
You did the same thing to a 14 year old girl. At least she was man enough to let it go - to not respond with a chain of obscenities. You, on the other hand, get all pissy when one does to you exactly what you did to April. Its called a double standard.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 09:59 PM   #24
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
I'm not suprised they've found mad cow here. After all, there's been a "chronic wasting disease" endemic in wild ruminants for a long while now, and it's a spongiform encepholpathy as well. I suspect this isn't the British BSE but rather the domestic CWD having crossed the species barrier.
Bottom line is that local feed providers have admitted to violating FDA guidelines by selling 'contaiminated' feed. Feed sold in 1997 may have resulted in the infected cow. How it was infected does not determine where else all this feed has gone. For that matter, it is not currently known from what herd this cow came from. IOW Korea, Japan, Australia, China, and Canada have good reason to ban American meat.

Currently, this is not a major problem from the perspective of consumers. However even the listeria shipped across America from Souderton PA demonstrates a fundamental problem with the food industry. FDA inspector can observe employees picking chickens off the floor and put them back on the 'clean' line - without cleaning. FDA inspector files a report. Nothing happens. No wonder livestock feed providers could do what the Brits were doing - without consequences. Public was even left uninformed.

Question is how widespread is the Mad Cow infection and how many more feed providers were selling 'contaminated' feed. For example, contaminated feed results in Mad Cow some four years later. Do we cull the entire herd? That is what the UK had to do.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 11:45 PM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
You did the same thing to a 14 year old girl. At least she was man enough to let it go - to not respond with a chain of obscenities. You, on the other hand, get all pissy when one does to you exactly what you did to April. Its called a double standard.

oh? I submit to the jury exhibit A: April's last words:

12-05-2003 03:33 PM
Quote:
"Go ahead do whatever the fuck you want run to undertoad and be a bitch.

Thats to ALL of you!"
tw, please just stick to posting the results of your obviously tireless research on quantifiable and provable topics that arise within these walls. Your editorial comments tend to make you look somewhat asshatian. (i want credit for that word) you said yourself that you did not take the time to read the thread you are referring to. i read each post as they came across. you are not better than anyone on here, so just let go of trying to sound as if you were. people will respect you for the content you ad, you don't have to take on tones.

and stop running up against me. you're no match.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
russotto
Professor

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah

On the fact that they sued the fuck out of her because she suggested that the USA might get it*
Generally, you can't successfully sue somebody simply because they unsuccessfully sued you (the beef industry suits got tossed out on their ears).

Quote:

Speaking of Anthrax, you can get that from a cow too, so what's your point? Trying to prove your machismo because you're a omnivore? Wow, I'm impressed.
Trying to deflate your misplaced sense of superiority for being a vegetarian.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:18 PM   #27
quzah

Quote:
Trying to deflate your misplaced sense of superiority for being a vegetarian.
Did I mention being "vegetarian" in this thread? No. And if you're going to mention it, at least get it correct. I am not a vegetarian. I am a vegan. Big difference.

But you're right. I mean, I should throw a pitty party for all you proud "meat eaters". Right? I mean shit, you might get sick from your steak. Boo-fucking-hoo.

Let's back up though, shall we? My being vegan has nothing to do with this thread. It wasn't mentioned or even referred to. In fact, had you not known the fact, you couldn't tell I was vegan from anything I've written here in this thread.

So your tooting your horn on how vegies can get you sick is just stupid.

You want to put the gloves on? Let's fucking go.
1) Heart disease / vascular disease.
2) Colon cancer, breast cancer, etc.
3) High blood pressure, high cholesterol.
4) Tapeworm diseases.
5) Salmonellosis*
6) Alzheimer's**
7) Diabetes.
8) Kidney stones and other kidney diseases.
9) Escherichia coli.
10) Campylobacter jejuni.

11) Arteriosclerosis.
12) Rheumatoid arthritis.
13) Gout.
14) Epilepsy*
15) Toxemia.

16) Food Poisoning.***

I'll stop there for now. Because I really don't give a shit what you eat. Feel free to make your own list. Bear in mind that for every study saying something, someone else will come up with a study saying the opposite.

I've read studies where meat is bad. I've read studies where they say it's wonderful. I really don't care. I liken it to the Tobacco Industry(TM) saying that Tobacco doesn't cause cancer. Hey, there are studies for it right? I mean, the beef industry wouldn't try and get their own studies ... It's all subjective.

As stated, eat whatever you like. I don't give a fuck. Just don't be surprised when I laugh my ass off at you when you get mad cow. You want to get defensive of your right to eat meat? Who cares. I don't. Shut the fuck up. Just don't expect me to sit on my hands when there's a thread titled "MAD COW, it's what's for dinner" and not be amused.

If you don't like my comments, fuck off. Ignore me. Because at the end of the day...

"My boy, I really don't care."

Quzah.

*Yes, you could piss on veggies in the field and if I didn't wash them, it could be transfered thusly. But all I have to do is wash them.
**Scroll down, it's there.
***Just read bullet points six and seven. Ignore the other reasons it's a generally healthy reason to be Vegan, because you don't care. Personally I don't care either. You can eat shit and die for all I care.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #28
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

GOTTA RESPECT A VEGAN. unless they act superior because of it. eat what you want to eat. be who you want to be. hell, for that matter, eat WHO you want to eat!

"vegetarians" who eat fish and dairy make me chuckle.

a lot of what you SHOULD eat has to do with your blood type. I'm type O-. research I've read says beef is good for me. Wheat is bad.

Jinx is type A...veggies and fish are good for her. beef is not.

what i find interesting is that we both like those things (respectively) best.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:25 PM   #29
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I did a lot of reading on the blood type diet when my dad started on it this past year. It's really not based on any solid research. My dad says he eats meat now, after being vegetarian since 1969. I'm not sure if I believe him, though. (It's difficult to digest meat if your body isn't used to it.)

What really makes me angry is he got my aunt on the diet, and she's already had an angioplasty a few years back (she's in her 40s). Now she thinks, I can eat lots of beef! It's good for me! All I can say is, I hope she's watching her cholesterol.

We're all type O in my family. On my father's side, my grandfather died before 50 of a heart attack (before I was born), my uncle died of a stroke at age 47. I wouldn't blame it all on diet, but I don't think it helped any.

On my mother's side, my grandmother died at age 44 of a heart attack (way before I was born, when my mother was 10 years old). A couple of my aunts on my mother's side are into the Zone or Atkins diet now (similar to the Type O diet). They are losing some weight on these diets because they are restricting their food intake (just like any fad diet out there).
Old 12-27-2003, 11:27 AM   #30
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

US traces diseased cow to Canada

"Blame Canada! Blame Canada..."

But seriously...notice the headline and read the story...the headline is a bit misleading.

CBC's version of the story

CBC also has a section on their site that looks at mad cow in greater detail, along with its effects on various countries thus far.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote