The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What I Learned Today

Seeing as how the unexamined life is not worth living, let me tell you what I learned today: I learned that there are two different sorts of rail roads in India-one is regular sized and the other is smaller, track is different. You can't use both tracks for the same locomotive. This means that at times freight (or, people) must dis-embark from one train to re-embark on another simply because the track has changed. I learned that India likes this because it creates jobs (and providing jobs is the responsibility of the government, so the more the merrier). I also learned where all of the countries in Monsoon Asia are and I am learning why the American way of doing things cannot and does not work in other parts of the world (academic, I know, but I really am learning interesting things about different locales)--anyway, this is all very well and good. I love it. I've no idea what this has to do with my major, but, whatever.

What did you learn today?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
laebedahs
Abecedarian

I learned today that sometimes I don't have a woody at work.
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

Have you considered driving this to work?

Maui Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It's really obvious no one cares about any fucking shit.

HUGE SNIF

well, I tried.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

just some PITA MS SQL Server BS that no one would be interested in.

edit: and BTW, there are some narrow guage railroads here in the US, too.

but don't touch the 3rd rail!

Last edited by barefoot serpent; 02-01-2006 at 04:01 PM.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:55 PM   #6
justmehere99
Expectorant Inspector

I've learned that it's damn hard to work with family!
justmehere99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
glatt

I learned that to get additional timekeepers to show up in my time tracking software, I need to click "all" in a drop down menu located in a subdirectory. The default in that drop down menu is "favorites." I somehow had a bunch of people in my favorites, but was looking for others, who weren't showing up. I didn't even know there was a drop down menu to change what list I was looking at.

It had been causing a little extra work for me for a few months, because I had to call everyone that wasn't appearing on my list of favorites to harrass them about their time. Now I don't need to make most of those calls, or can at least target the calls I do make.

I like what you learned today better, although what I learned today has a bigger impact on my life.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #8
keryx
Mrs. Fargon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
I learned that to get additional timekeepers to show up in my time tracking software, I need to click "all" in a drop down menu located in a subdirectory. The default in that drop down menu is "favorites." I somehow had a bunch of people in my favorites, but was looking for others, who weren't showing up. I didn't even know there was a drop down menu to change what list I was looking at.

It had been causing a little extra work for me for a few months, because I had to call everyone that wasn't appearing on my list of favorites to harrass them about their time. Now I don't need to make most of those calls, or can at least target the calls I do make.

I like what you learned today better, although what I learned today has a bigger impact on my life.
I may not have learned anything useful today to anyone, myself included, but this gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a long time! Thank you!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I learned that if you hit a cat in the head with a hammer, it will blink.

Dinner was great.

You make the connection.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Today I learned that I can buy 20kg of chicken feed instead of 40kg which means it's much easier for me to carry from the boot of the car to the chook shed.

I also learned that I have a terrible memory...although I've kinda known that all along, so maybe it was just a reminder.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
It's really obvious no one cares about any fucking shit.

HUGE SNIF

well, I tried.
today, i learned that brianna is feeling kooky.

given this, and some other previous facts and observations, i have decided that she may be a bit unstable at times. As i ponder this, I am also reminded that i like her, and i hope she is not on a bender.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:35 AM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Today I learned ...

That with the number of cars that have those remote control door opener thingies, there is bound to be some crossover.

I hit my trunk open button tonight and the panic alarm on another car started going off.

Just to make sure it wasn't a coincidence, I tried it again.

And again.

It was 1am.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #13
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

That's just nasty
Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #14
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

Ooooo! Did the car belong to one of those creeps next door that you would like to get even with?
Old 02-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #15
eiffelenator
Irrelevant Adulterant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Today I learned ...

That with the number of cars that have those remote control door opener thingies, there is bound to be some crossover.

I hit my trunk open button tonight and the panic alarm on another car started going off.

Just to make sure it wasn't a coincidence, I tried it again.

And again.

It was 1am.
Thats great! I learned (remembered) that to succeed in life I need to work 2-3% harder than the status quo. Then its party all the way to the bank.

I also learned no matter what I do at my job, being personable and dealing with people ends up being the deciding factor. This has been a gradual learning, but its always great to realize just what you are learning ;-)
eiffelenator is offline   Reply With Quote