The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-08-2003, 09:25 AM   #1
staceyv
Lecturer

i want my baby back baby back baby back

i almost lost my husband this weekend. he decided to get a job on a fishing boat and he left on his first trip wednesday night, out of newport, rhode island. on friday night their engine died while they were about 80 miles out into the sea. then we had a "noreaster" storm - waves 20 feet, winds 50 miles an hour. it was a small boat. i had no way of contacting him. i didn't know if i would ever see him again. i was at work and i saw the boat on t.v. and they said they were stranded and i was sent home from work because i was a mess.. they tried to tow the boat but the chain broke and it was not safe enough to go on the deck and try again. i called the coast guard. they said the boat just had to sit there until the weather calmed down. they just now hooked them up to tow them and i have no idea what time he's getting back. but i'm pretty sure he's safe now. i probably have an ulcer and a severe case of dehydration. i never knew how much i loved him until i thought he was going to die. i don't know why i'm posting this...i have so much nervous energy right now. i guess my point is to not take advantage of those you love, because there's no guarantee that they're always going to be around. and never put your life on the line for money!!
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:33 AM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

So....you're equating your significant other's safe return with a restaurant advertising slogan, and therefore food. Interesting.

(Actually, I'm glad he's ok, and I'm just teasing about the Chili's thing. But I'm hungry now. *sigh*)
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You have just had the experience of wives on the New England coast. The only difference between you and the wives of 150 years ago is that you saw on TV that the boat hadn't sunk.

Why do you think they call those cute little fenced in walkways on the rooves of houses "widow's walks?"

Let him decide whether he wants to remain a fisherman. It is his choice, not yours. Forcing him not do to something he wants to do will remain between you and him forever. Actually, your marriage will be most likely dramatically shortened if you do so.

And whatever you do, don't watch "The Perfect Storm."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:03 AM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Let him decide whether he wants to remain a fisherman. It is his choice, not yours. Forcing him not do to something he wants to do will remain between you and him forever. Actually, your marriage will be most likely dramatically shortened if you do so.
A little preemptive scolding there, wolf?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It makes the eventual "I told you so" have more impact.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-08-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
juju
no one of consequence

I wouldn't worry too much about an ulcer. They're actually caused by a bacteria called "Helicobacter pylori". Stress just makes it hurt worse.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:13 AM   #7
staceyv
Lecturer

wolf, i think you are extremely insensitive . also, i never said he was not going to be a fisherman anymore. i don't control him, we work together. he can do whatever he wants. we watched the perfect storm together two weeks ago, by the way.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #8
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

just as long as you don't get a call from Davey Jones' Storage Inc.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:40 PM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Insensitive? Merely realistic.

The risks of such a job are well known. Despite these risks, people decide to take these jobs. Some do so because of familial ties and attachments to such a profession. Some gravitate to it because of a sense of adventure, others because the money is reputed to be good. (although not as good as it once was. Overfishing and pollution have depleted the schools of fish and beds of shellfish. You have to work longer and harder hours for an equivalently sized catch.) Again, this is something that you will see in any New England fishing town.

You said " i never knew how much i loved him until i thought he was going to die."

If you didn't know it before that moment, perhaps you are confusing the feeling. It appears that you were stunned by the possibility of loss, of being alone. That's not the same as being in love. The intensity of feeling in love should not increase merely at that time. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:49 PM   #10
staceyv
Lecturer

IF YOU HAD READ THE SENTENCE CORRECTLY...
you would have read that I said I never knew HOW MUCH I loved him. I KNEW that I loved him all along.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #11
staceyv
Lecturer

by the way, it was his FIRST trip out, and he never really wanted to be a fisherman. He only took the job because he wanted to get me a nice christmas present and help us get out of debt. What he really loves to do is work with computers. And he didn't know that there was going to be a huge storm and that his life would be at risk. It must be a big deal, because the local news station keeps calling me and they are coming to my house to do an interview and later they will be at the dock when he arrives. He was in so much danger and I was so worried sick about him and all i could think about is how meaningless a stupid christmas present/ getting out of debt is, when the only thing I really care about is his safety and well being. When he pulls in it will make this the second most happy day of my life (the first would be the day I married him) and i'm not going to let your smart ass comments ruin it. Seems like you are maybe disappointed with the happy ending, huh?
Old 12-08-2003, 01:59 PM   #12
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Not me, I'm jealous.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #13
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally posted by staceyv
by the way, it was his FIRST trip out, and he never really wanted to be a fisherman.
Nope. HE wanted to be... A LUMBERJACK!
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't give a damn one way or the other.

Hope all goes well.

May you have a happy life, etc.

The alternative, of course, would have been your selling your hair, and his selling his pocketwatch.

Don't you just love a storybook ending?

Old 12-08-2003, 02:12 PM   #15
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Leaping from tree to tree...

...with his best gal by his side!
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote