The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-09-2003, 11:25 PM   #46
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

All this food talk is making me hungry again.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:28 PM   #47
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Hey, don't all the restaurants in your neck of the woods close at like 7pm? You'll have to resort to some microwave slop from Wawa/7-Eleven/Casey's/whatever convenience chain you have out there.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:36 PM   #48
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Absolutely...the hoagies here are great!
(slang dreams of a bacon and lettuce sub without tomatoes)

There's a place here that makes great BLs. I had to train them how to make them correctly but now they can't be beat. They only cost $3.75 too!

And the pizza. Pizza Hut pan pizza, all meat toppings is the absolute best although I almost never order it now because I have turned into the world's cheapest gentile and I actually try to eat somewhat healthily.

Christ. I dont even drink beer anymore either , but a Becks with a grease drenched pizza sounds awesome right now.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:41 PM   #49
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
Hey, don't all the restaurants in your neck of the woods close at like 7pm? You'll have to resort to some microwave slop from Wawa/7-Eleven/Casey's/whatever convenience chain you have out there.
The fast food places normally close at 10 during the week? I make it a point not to be in their vicinity while they are open though because I am weak for good fat food.

An hour after I eat the burgers and stuff , I dont feel right and I have less cash in my pocket to boot.

Do you guys have Aldi supermarkets out there? Aldi is the cheapest place to buy food. It's owned by an Amish company. Eighty bucks worth of their food can hold me a month! It's not bad tasting either.

Last edited by slang; 01-09-2003 at 11:43 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 11:57 PM   #50
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
you guys have Aldi supermarkets out there? Aldi is the cheapest place to buy food. It's owned by an Amish company. Eighty bucks worth of their food can hold me a month! It's not bad tasting either.
Jesus Christ...I spend about $70 a week on groceries.

We have a few Aldis in the area (there's one down the road from me). Truth be told, I haven't shopped there in forever...they used to be populated in St. Louis by...ummm...the underclass...and the stores were always dirty. That being said, it's pretty good stuff, and cheap.

The weird thing is, I haven't done standard grocery shopping since Rho was hospitalized in the spring. I usually go every couple of days to buy things...amazingly, I tend to save money that way...cut my food bill by $15-20 a week. This past week, I actually did a week's worth (well 4 days) of shopping and had to pick up some extra stuff (toilet paper and paper towels, which I buy in larger packs; and deodorant, which is rather expensive)...my bill came to $60, which wasn't too bad for us.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:14 AM   #51
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Aldi is definitely cool, but I still don't get the paying 25¢ to use the shopping cart ... surely that amount does not discourage the homeless from wandering off with the carts? I did hear once that the old chromed carts used to cost the markets like $500 each.

And Syc, sometimes the members of the "underclass" are entertaining as all get out. Also, while shopping at Aldi, you can always reassure yourself that you're doing it because you want to, not have to. Works for me.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2003, 07:44 AM   #52
elSicomoro

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
And Syc, sometimes the members of the "underclass" are entertaining as all get out. Also, while shopping at Aldi, you can always reassure yourself that you're doing it because you want to, not have to. Works for me.
True enough...and I would imagine the one by my place is pretty decent. A good portion of the stuff I buy isn't carried at Aldi, though. (Or at least they didn't a few years back.)

I don't mind the underclass...I've been there before. But it would help if they wore some clothes...and didn't smell.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 AM   #53
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Aldi

I feel like an elitist...my wife and I shop at Aldi, but only when we look over the bank account and decide that we're too poor to go to the giganto market.

Nothing in the world wrong with their products, though. Their ambience leaves a little to be desired, though. I mean, the mega store we shop at has a giant Bose subwoofer cannon hanging from the ceiling. Now *that's* elevator music with an attitude!
Old 01-10-2003, 08:07 PM   #54
Uryoces
2nd Covenant, yo

I did a report in high school -- way back in the mists of time ... I think it was '87 -- I thought the Gray Fox's name was kind of neat. Urocyon cinereoargenteus. It means "Dog with tail".

Uryoces sounded Greek -- yeah, well Latin. The "es" made it sound like a dragon's name, and I corrupted the spelling to make it mine. I pronounce it /You-roh'-sees/.

Food is good, aw yeah!
Uryoces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #55
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

"You say Uryoces, I say charoses. . ."

Quote:
Originally posted by Uryoces
. . . I pronounce it /You-roh'-sees/. . .
Sounds like 'charoses' (pronounced /ha-roh'-ses/), which is a delicious middle eastern melange of nuts, apples (and other fruits) and red wine, typically eaten in the U.S. by Jews at Passover (who will put anything on matzoh to improve the taste).

Wolf might say it sounds more like 'neuroses' (plural for neurosis; pronounced /noo-roh'-sees/), which is fitting because of the overlap between these types of traits and those who celebrate Passover. Hey! I can say that; you can't!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #56
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

I think Ciara is Aleutian for "too lazy to work."

Last edited by That Guy; 01-11-2003 at 02:41 PM.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 12:17 PM   #57
Bearo
Non-Newbie Sort

I'm late on this, at this point the topic seems to be more about food. My name came from my name Dano and the fact that I am indeed a bear. Well hairy as one anyway.