The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #91
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 70,906
Yeah, but queers have been around just as long. It's taken thousands of years to be tolerated, sanctioned probably won't take as long.
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 PM   #92
Radar
Constitutional Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 4,006
It's not changing anything. The marriage of straight people doesn't change one bit when gay people exercise their rights. Gay people aren't trying to force churches to perform gay marriages. They just want access to the same government services that any other citizen has access to.
__________________
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
- George Carlin
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 PM   #93
Radar
Constitutional Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
And this from the same a-hole who said throw out the bastards who don't agree with me. What a tard.

Whatever you say douchebag. I didn't say people should be thrown out for disagreeing with me. I said they should be thrown out for violating the rights of other citizens. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing on a subject. If that's all that was happening, there wouldn't be a problem. It's not the words of the right-wing dickheads like you that bother me. It's the actions.

They are taking actions to violate the civil rights of one set of citizens simply because they don't like them. This makes them unworthy of living in America. In fact, it makes them unworthy to live period. If they get to decide on whether other people marry, then I get to decide whether or not they are allowed to live.

Now run along you little cock jockey and try to pretend that I haven't beaten you in every political debate we've ever had.
__________________
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
- George Carlin
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 PM   #94
Radar
Constitutional Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Yeah, but queers have been around just as long. It's taken thousands of years to be tolerated, sanctioned probably won't take as long.
Gay people have been around for as long as straight people. The fact that this is even an issue is insane.
__________________
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
- George Carlin
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #95
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,401
Didn't they put the issue to vote in over 30 states this past election? It seems to me that the people have decided. Isn't that what you asked for? Now that it didn't go your way, you just sound like a sore loser.
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:51 PM   #96
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Whatever you say douchebag. I didn't say people should be thrown out for disagreeing with me. I said they should be thrown out for violating the rights of other citizens. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing on a subject. If that's all that was happening, there wouldn't be a problem. It's not the words of the right-wing dickheads like you that bother me. It's the actions.

They are taking actions to violate the civil rights of one set of citizens simply because they don't like them. This makes them unworthy of living in America. In fact, it makes them unworthy to live period. If they get to decide on whether other people marry, then I get to decide whether or not they are allowed to live.

Now run along you little cock jockey and try to pretend that I haven't beaten you in every political debate we've ever had.
Well then you better stock up on bullets because you've got 6,156,848 "unworthy" people that you need to take care of oh Constitutional Savior.
__________________
Kiss my white Irish ass.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #97
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Gravity can be proven and quantified
Anyone who believes that hasn't been paying attention to physics in the last 20 years.

"Gravity" is a mental marker for a collection of physical effects, the cause and functions of which nobody really agrees on. "Rights" is a mental marker for a collection of ethical interactions, the effects of which we can see, the cause and function of which nobody really agrees on.
__________________
to live and die in LA
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:03 AM   #98
Juniper
I know, right?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmoniker View Post
Anyone who believes that hasn't been paying attention to physics in the last 20 years.

"Gravity" is a mental marker for a collection of physical effects, the cause and functions of which nobody really agrees on. "Rights" is a mental marker for a collection of ethical interactions, the effects of which we can see, the cause and function of which nobody really agrees on.
OK, you got me - I am not well versed in physics.

I suppose "gravity" itself cannot be proven or measured, but the effects of it can. But regardless of this, it can still be experienced - nobody can argue it does not exist. We can measure the effects of gravity. We can come up with mathematical formulas for gravity. You can't do that with "rights."
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #99
Radar
Constitutional Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 4,006
The effects of violating someones rights can also be measured. Ever heard of the revolutionary war? Civil rights marches of the 60's? India winning independence from the United Kingdom?
__________________
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
- George Carlin
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 AM   #100
Radar
Constitutional Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Well then you better stock up on bullets because you've got 6,156,848 "unworthy" people that you need to take care of oh Constitutional Savior.
I'm sure I could get all the bullets I want donated by those whose civil rights they violated. Although with that many people, I might have to set up a system like they had in Auschwitz. Either that or turn them into soilent green for starving African nations. It would certainly make America a better place to live in. If I killed them all, I wouldn't be doing anything worse than they did to gay people.
__________________
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
- George Carlin
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #101
Juniper
I know, right?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,539
Here's the thing. Aside from nitpicky, circular-reasoning arguments about the definition and source of "rights," the point is what role popular opinion plays in our country's legislation.

Let's put aside the issue of constitutional interpretation too -- even if you're in love with the US constitution (and I have a lot of respect for it too) the fact is that it's experimental, it's constantly under review, and it wasn't handed down by divine authority. It is not imprimatur.

The point of this is to question whether it is possible, if it is proper, if it is ethically sound to prevent a majority of citizens within a governmental unit - state, country, etc. - to pass a law that goes against what others perceive as being natural rights.

Let's say for the sake of argument that 60% of a state's residents voted to make --oh, I dunno what -- anchovies on pizza illegal. Yet you, who love anchovies, and a lot of other people think it's your right to be able to order whatever pizza topping you want, and since it doesn't affect other people's pizza experience, you think it's a stupid law. Which it is. But if 60% of the people want it outlawed, you can't change that just by virtue of "having rights." Nope - your options are to go someplace that does allow anchovies, campaign to have the law rescinded, or eat them on the sly.

The point is that it is not possible to keep a government that legislates by popular vote from doing some stupid things.

The point is that it is not desirable to keep a government that legislates by popular vote from doing some stupid things. Why? Because to some, it's not stupid. The anti-anchovy activists believe in their cause. They are just as convinced that they have the right to ban toppings they don't enjoy. And maybe they do. It's totally a matter of opinion.

How would they have this right? To follow your logic, Radar, perhaps they have the right to ban anchovies in retaliation to another group's assertion of "rights" that pissed them off.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:32 AM   #102
Juniper
I know, right?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
The effects of violating someones rights can also be measured. Ever heard of the revolutionary war? Civil rights marches of the 60's? India winning independence from the United Kingdom?
No, I've never heard of the Revolutionary War. What was that about?

You're awfully naive if you think those battles were fought for purely ideological reasons.

I suppose you think the Civil War was about rights, too.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:42 AM   #103
Juniper
I know, right?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
It would certainly make America a better place to live in. If I killed them all, I wouldn't be doing anything worse than they did to gay people.
Oh shit, hang on - you're actually saying that voting against gay marriage is equivalent to murder?

I am debating with a madman.

Well, I was warned, and I didn't listen, eh?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:48 AM   #104
Radar
Constitutional Scholar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
No, I've never heard of the Revolutionary War. What was that about?

You're awfully naive if you think those battles were fought for purely ideological reasons.

I suppose you think the Civil War was about rights, too.
It was about rights. The rights of the people in some states to secede from the union. The states entered voluntarily into the unions, and according to the U.S. Constitution, they have the legitimate authority to leave the union.
__________________
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."
- George Carlin
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 AM   #105
Juniper
I know, right?
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,539
It was about money and power, same as every war from the beginning of time. Rights were just a rationale, a PR spin.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.