The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Do You Like Your Job?
I love my job. I look forward to going in every day 4 21.05%
I like it most days, I think I'll stay 9 47.37%
Meh......I'ts ok, I guess 3 15.79%
If it gets much worse, I may have to refresh the ole resume. 2 10.53%
I hate it I hate it I hate it! 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Do You Like Your Job?

In an all over sense. Taking everything into consideration.....hours, pay, stress, actual work, boss/es, coworkers.....are you happy at work?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job love my job

and so do my creditors

just kidding.
I do love it.

I get to play with cool toys all day, walk around and make people happy, and I get paid in the bargain.

What's not to like?
Old 09-21-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

Do you like your knob? (Weed)
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
lookout123
changed his status to single

my boss is a real prick, but i figure we're related so i should stay.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I like my pay, I like my hours, I like the job.....I just dont like my work conditions.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

Do You Like Your Job?........Yeah!

I think 30 years at the same place speaks for itself......
You wouldn't keep going if you didn't like it.........
I wouldn't.......
I do go everyday...........
Old 09-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Drax
Banned

I love my "job." i get paid to sleep late, and basically do whatever the hell I want...and yes, it's legal.
Drax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I like what I do. There's an asshole at work, and some of the patients can be tough - that's why I didn't vote "love"
Old 09-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
glatt

Yes. I've got a good thing going. Been here 16 years.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ummm...well, hmmm...it's alright. I make decent money, and it's cool to go driving around in my car all day listening to my iPod and talk radio. But some of the places I go to are scary and the owners are fucking micromanagers who probably just need a simple ass-whuppin to get them in line.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

The pay is decent... but I wish I got more hours so the actual paychecks were bigger.
95% of my coworkers are complete blathering idiots... but I only have to deal with a handful of them, and only ever in email.
The work I do is tedious and uninspired... but the flexibility to always work from home is awesome.

Overall, I definitely appreciate the gig I've got going, but only because it fits my lifestyle right now. It's all about the flexibility.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I love aspects of both my 'jobs'. I also find aspects of both frustrating. Mostly the things I don't like are of my own making. I let things build up a bit then feel guilty that I haven't done stuff I should have done, then have a flurry of activity and make serious headway, (which feels great). When I am not in Uni it's bouts of depression that trip me up and that's when some of the Council stuff slides for a couple of weeks. When I am back in Uni, it's simply a lack of enough hours in the day to achieve what I am trying to achieve. Trying to time manage when you're as naturally disorganised as I am is a bitch.

When I am getting stuff done and keeping up to date I love my Council work. I get a kick out of helping people resolve their problems and navigate the system. Most of the time that involves a bit of a slog and phonecalls/letters and emails flying about to different people. There are times though where it just takes one letter, or one email and the problem melts away. I love it when that happens.

A lot of what I do is what I consder 'scary shit', like holding a microphone and speaking to a crowd of people on a topic you just researched yesterday:P Or putting your constituents' case to council, knowing some of them are in the public seats and the local press is taking notes. That stuff scares me rigid, but the adrenaline dump I get at the end makes the fear worthwhile. I am not one of life's natural public speakers, nor am I comfortable in the limelight, but I've enjoyed some of that more than I anticipated.

I love studying History at Uni. I am never happier than when I am surrounded by a big pile of books in a study-cabin at the library. I enjoy the lectures and it's always a pleasure to hear professors who know and love their topic. I like writing essays, but it's also frustrating and hard work at times. I love research, but fitting it in around all the other stuff can be hard.

So yeah...I like what I do. I find it hard to manage my time and bouts of depression occassionally knock me off my stride: I only really manage my time when my back is against the wall and I am only safe from depression if I am busy...so I ensure my back is against the wall most of the time and I say 'yes' to invites and requests to get more involved. Every so often I come to a grinding halt and need a week to get my breath, but mostly during term time I am busy as I can be.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #13
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I mostly love my job but there are days......

Anyway, I get to satisfy my wanderlust, get paid to wrestle big brutish trucks down the road, see the country, meet lots of people (in truck stops, natch) and not have a boss over my shoulder. I am in charge of my hours (all 24 of them daily!), have no real dress code (I can and have driven in my underwear) and set my own route.

Now that I am training new drivers, I don't do the underwear thing but I get paid twice as much to do half the work! And now that my GPS is growing on me, I get there faster and in fewer miles than the company pays me for so I'm making out better.

All in all, things are the best they've ever been. The only real downside is that I don't get to see my loved one as much as I or she would like.

Brian
Old 09-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #14
Jeboduuza
Custom User Title

It gets me by but I would really like to become a full time employee somewhere. WITH the benefits.