The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Jan 18, 2009: Icefish

Antarctic Icefish, it doesn't live on the ice, but in water that's close, at minus 1.8 degrees C.
This is the only one of many fish in the southern ocean, that was able to survive and thrive after the Drake Passage opened up about 40 million years ago, allowing a current of cold water to isolate the continent and turn it into an icehouse.

Well so what? This fish has no red blood cells, and a minimal, very brittle skeleton. So scientists studying anemias and osteoporosis among other diseases, want to know how this thing survives.

Quote:
“We’re interested in how the fish are able to fold their proteins in a cold, energy-poor environment,” explained Detrich in August, following a two-month excursion to Antarctica during the middle of the Southern Hemisphere winter.

Proteins, in the words of a somewhat famous cable guy, get ’er done: they’re behind many biological processes. As enzymes, they drive biochemical reactions that make biology work. They are the main constituent of muscles, hair, skin and blood vessels. As antibodies, they recognize intruders and prompt the immune system to get rid of the unwanted invaders.

In order to carry out its specific function, each protein must take on a unique three-dimensional shape, in a process called folding. Detrich’s group is particularly interested in how a complex called CCT chaperonin assists other proteins in the folding process, especially their role in the folding of tubulins that form microtubules. Microtubules are one of the components of the cytoskeleton, a structure maintains cell shape and cell motility.

Protein folding is often referred to as the “second genetic code,” according to Detrich, but scientists don’t understand the rules under which protein folding occurs. By observing protein folding at low temperatures, he said, it may be possible to develop insights into how protein folding works in all organisms.
Antarctica in the middle of winter? Sure, some scientists get all the cushy jobs.

link
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Protein folding in the Antarctic Uglyfish happens best when tartar sauce and lemon are added.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

No no spud, its right after the first side is done cooking and you flip it in the pan. Only then can the folding happen properly. Its a small distinction, but one of scientific importance.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

It's gross. Another gross sea thing. How many can there be?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Antarctica in the middle of winter? Sure, some scientists get all the cushy jobs.
One of the men I most admire (I'm not using hero, just in case) explored the Antarctic in the middle of Winter. And Apsley Cherry-Garrard (no relation) did not have any of the benefits of the 21st century to ease his passage. Kudos to those studying there today, but Cherry-Garrard was one of many men who laid their path for them.

I often wonder why such time and effort and money were spent on going into space when there are so many mysteries in the Deep. This is another one of them, and it is fascinating. Bri - if you think this is grim you should read up on copepods/ Greenland Sharks. The parasites feed on the corneas of of the sharks, and the resulting scars blind them. Huge - up to 21 feet - blind, poisonous sharks (their flesh is toxic - except to eachother, yes they are also cannabalistic), swimming 5,000 feet deep in sub zero temperatures, with these parasites scoffing their eyes.

If there is a Creator he had a sick sense of humour.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

We don't explore the depths because if we did the Russians would have to come on our turf to join the "race". And we on theirs.
No red blood cells? Absolutely amazing. This creature has got to be unique in that respect.
...pours another Glen Livett and hunkers down for a long google....
Old 01-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
sweetwater
lives inside a Mobius strip

From the Antarctic? I would have assumed France, since he's sporting a narrow mustache, and holding onto a snail and an order of fries.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I didn't know all those pretty coral/anemonae thingys could thrive there. hmmm.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
From the Antarctic? I would have assumed France, since he's sporting a narrow mustache, and holding onto a snail and an order of fries.
Now that's funny. lol I had to go back and look at the pic, and it was very amusing to look at it from that perspective.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
newtimer
Operations Operative

"...a minimal, very brittle skeleton."

A fish that probably won't get a bone lodged in your throat? No wonder it hides in subfreezing water, away from fishermen.

(SweetH2O, that's a good observation. I had to scroll back up to see, but sure enough, there be French fries there!)
newtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Is that a bloomin' onion in the background?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #12
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

or coral/anemonae thingys?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #13
SPUCK
Professor

I think he's cute.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
I know other people have said it too, but I couldn't let it pass without congratulations. That really tickled me, thank you.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote